Coopers Community

1 gallon batch waste of time?

Norris!

As per the title, would it be a waste of time to do a 1 gallon batch? My reasoning is to try an all grain brew but without the setup. I also want to try different hops and specialty malts and even some yeasts and different beer styles I wouldn't trust on a 21l batch, to see what they bring to the table.

My worry is the time. I am thinking it should be about 3 1/2 hours but I am unsure...will it be longer? I am also trying out all the things I have read and done in partial mashes and seeing how it unfolds in AG. Anyways do you all think it is a waste of time and energy or something that could be fruitful and help increase my knowledge base?

Cheers,

Norris

I don't think its a waste of time at all. Every beer you make makes you a better brewer. Have done heaps of 11L batches as well a couple of 4L /1 gallon batches in a glass demijohn. About 3-3.5 hours seems about right as it takes less time for the water to heat up etc than a 21L batch. Also depends if you are fast chilling or no chilling etc. Things to note though. You will lose some hop utilisation as the bigger the batch gives generally better utilisation.

I did mine on the stovetop. Mashed in like an 8L pot with the grains in a grain bag. It is a little pain as the temp did tend to drop by a couple of degrees every 10 or 15 mins. So had to kick on the gas again and turn it off etc. Boiled with hops in a hop sock. Cooled in the kitchen sink with water and frozen coke bottles. The main issue I had was siphoning into the demijohn. I remember almost choking to death when I sucked some wort in while starting the siphon. 

Sweet, thank you for that insight Greeny. I also was going to do it on the stove but I haven't thought about what to ferment in? Might need to get a bung for my 2 growlers.

Did you notice any difference between all grain and extract or even partial mashes?

Yeah mate. Noticed a big improvement from my kit days to extract and an improvement to all grain as well. IMO. You can make ok beer with a kit. You can make good beer with extract and you can make exceptional beer with all grain.

Plus if your willing to go extra and get a mill and get bulk grain then you can make it so much cheaper as well. Only negative is the time to do it.

Cheers Greeny1525229549(Maybe look into pimping that name some, or I might start calling you Numbers).

I am going to try this just to see how exceptional I can make some beers. I have to admit that I would put a few of my recipes up against any brew, but the degree to make any flavour with the grains cannot be undrestated so there are some downfalls for extract. Either way I know a badly made grain batch will never beat a good extract.

I might do this tomorrow.

Thank you Greeny for the insight I am googling recipes and ideas now!

I think itd definitely make you a better brewer by understanding recipe design.

I couldn’t rationalise making 1 gallon batches but that’s only because on a number of occasions two or three mates come round and a fair chunk of a batch will be gone in a night. If I spent 12 hours making a few 1 gallon batches I’d probably tell all my mates I don’t homebrew anymore.?

However it’s be good to experiment with.

There is a whole world full of info on the net about this so search the googles Norris and you’ll be getting that 3v system before too long.

Captain

Haven't told the missus but im waiting for this system

https://www.kegland.com.au/robobrew-65l-gen-3.html

While a 3V system is great it would take up a lot of friggin room in my garage. With this i could do double batches and save so much time it aint funny. Two 30L fermenters in my ferm fridge and ill be happy as larry. Have to look at the design before i go ahead though. Its not too bad with the current one pulling 5 or 6 kgs of malt out of the vessel. 12 kgs might be a task though.

Archived