Coopers Community

Help Please, Does this hydrometer picture look accurate?

Guvna

If that first picture is accurate then your hydrometer has a massive differential of approx. 20 points. I can't remember seeing one that far out before.

So if your last reading was 1.019 this would translate to being accurately close to 1.039 once you add the 20 point differential, that in turn means your brew has likely stalled or there is a problem with the yeast.

To confirm this for yourself, draw a sample from the fermenter & taste it. It should come across as very sweet. If this is the case, I'd be looking to pitch some new yeast pronto.

I hope that helps.

Lusty. 

Dammit, many swear words #$%^%,  everything seemed on track, the nottingham yeast bubbled heaps for 5 days , now at day 14 was expecting better results, the sample tasted good to my suprise, a little fruity, but i didnt thing overly sweet. However I have no experience to draw on so not sure how it should taste. I'm gutted. not sure what to do now

That is better & appears to be reading near enough true.

That fact your taste test confirms little to no overt sweetness is a good thing & means the beer is somewhere approaching the expected FG.

Draw off another sample & allow it to de-gas (either pump the hydrometer up & down 20 times or allow the sample to sit for 10-15mins then lower the hydrometer in & take your reading. That will let us know where it is currently at.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty,

measured gravity just now at approx 1018 and tasted again (of course). very small amount of sweetness but mainly fruity which could be hops. I bumped up the temp to 21 which i probally shouldve done 4-5 days ago. Day 14 today. Does the gravity drop quite fast from here on in? I added dry hops yesterday which I hope wasnt too early? 

kept it a 18-19 up until now, could that be why its going a bit slow? I read how nottingham genereally goes a bit faster than that?

so hoping this works out ok

Guvna

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

From the SG reading picture it looks like it's reading about 1.002 in the water since the 1.000 line is slightly above the water level, if so then you simply subtract .002 from every reading. 

hey Otto , some my recent readings are possibly 1.016-1.017? or not?

raised temp and its bubbling again, or is that maybe from dry hopping? 

Archived