Coopers Community

Brew A IPA - which hops to add?

Farls

Good morning brewthren,

Brewing later tonight and on hand I’ve got a can of Brew A IPA, 1kg of LDM, about 200g of med crystal malt and 100g each of cascade, CTZ and rakau hops. And a packet of MJ M44 yeast.

So some kind of hop slam in the makings, but which hops and what kind of schedule? I’ve used cascade in many brews but never used ctz or rakau. Ctz seems better suited to bittering so I’m thinking of saving that for plain extract brews that’ll need it. So maybe just rakau as a 25g steep and 25g dry hop? Or  should I crank up more for the dry hop? Or a combination of cascade and rakau? Both are dual purpose, so dunno which I’d favour for flavour and which for aroma.

Advice always appreciated legends...

Cant go wrong with a cascade dry hop in my opinion. Never used Rakau hops but a good whack of cascade never hurt any brew. I would crank up the dry hop as well rather than the steep to give it more aroma. But either will not be to the detriment of the beer. I found the Brew A IPA can relatively underwhelming when i did it a couple of years back on its own. So it will benefit from any additional hops.

Rakau I've used by itself in a pale ale. That beer tasted a bit tart but I think that might have been a combination of the yeast and the sulphate level being too high in the water used. I think the hop would work well in combination with the other two though. Late and dry hopped I'd do.

Archived