Coopers Community

Beer line

Youngie

Hi everyone.

I currently run 2 kegs in a converted chest freezer and my beer is dispensed from a double font beer tower. When I pour my beer the head is a little big for my liking. The current length of my lines are 2 metres. I understand that I need to increase my line length but I wanted to know how much impact the line diameter has on pouring?? My I/D is 4mm. What do all the other keggers use??

Cheers,

Youngie

It won't be your beer line, that's plenty of length for 4mm ID line. I have about 2.2m of 5mm ID line on each of my taps, plus about 300mm extra stainless inside the font itself (flooded font).

What temp is the freezer sitting at? Do you run a font fan? What serving pressure are you using?

I think the issue is with the font and/or taps warming up in between pours, especially when you don't pour one for a while. This causes foaming due to the gas coming out of solution quickly. Mine does the same; I run chilled water though the font but the taps themselves still get warm.

If I pour half a glass of foam straight up I throw it away because it will just be warm and flat by the time it settles, but most of the time I only get enough foam which becomes a nice amount of head. Other times I get an inch or bit less of foam, and in this instance I simply let it sit for 2-3 minutes to settle then top up the glass.

The temperature sits at around 4 degrees and I don't run a font fan. I serve at around 12 psi. My first glass of the day is around half foam which I toss over the yard and each pour afted has a good inch and a half of foam.

Youngie

It won't be your beer line' date=' that's plenty of length for 4mm ID line. I have about 2.2m of 5mm ID line on each of my taps, plus about 300mm extra stainless inside the font itself (flooded font).

What temp is the freezer sitting at? Do you run a font fan? What serving pressure are you using?

I think the issue is with the font and/or taps warming up in between pours, especially when you don't pour one for a while. This causes foaming due to the gas coming out of solution quickly. Mine does the same; I run chilled water though the font but the taps themselves still get warm.

If I pour half a glass of foam straight up I throw it away because it will just be warm and flat by the time it settles, but most of the time I only get enough foam which becomes a nice amount of head. Other times I get an inch or bit less of foam, and in this instance I simply let it sit for 2-3 minutes to settle then top up the glass.[/quote']

Glad to hear that bottlers aren't the only ones with problems with excessive foam. lol

Cheers,

Christina.

I'm not sure. I drink solo so I've never had to pour one straight after the other. Sounds like a good experiment. I'll try it on my next day off on Sunday week.

Cheers

Youngie

If the second beer is fine then the problem is most likely warm beer in the font/tap.

Interesting. Five and a half years ago my kegerator came with 5 meters of beer line which I promptly cut in half after doing the calcs. I couldn't balance my system at all and kept getting a glass of foam on every pour. I purchase two joiners to rejoin the lines and the problem was fixed, must be 5 or 6 mil ID. Now I get a half glass of foam on every first pour which is temperature related, I run my kegerator at 6 degrees so it doesn't take much to heat the beer in the font to ambient, i.e. + 18 degrees.

I am looking at new taps and new lines, 4mm ID will be the go as 5m is a PITA when changing over kegs.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I'm not sure. I drink solo so I've never had to pour one straight after the other. Sounds like a good experiment. I'll try it on my next day off on Sunday week.

Cheers

Youngie

I assume you've got more than one glass Youngie. Pending on how thirsty I am' date=' how long between pours and how good the beer is I sometimes pour the first half into anther vessel and then tip it. If its a good beer and I can wait then I let it settle, waste not want not.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Archived