Coopers Community

My Wife's Bitter

Kairi

I am looking at doing and English style bitter in a few brews time. I have tried a hand full, mainly anything Dangerous Dan keeps in stock. My favourite is Burleigh Brewing "My Wife's Bitter". Its a nice break from super hopped PA & IPA's.

The beer is described as

"Styled after England’s ‘session beer’, Burleigh Brewing’s coastal version of a classic English bitter is brewed with a unique blend of English specialty malts that generate a smooth, malty flavour – with a hint of ‘nuttiness’ and a soft caramel character. The combination of traditional English hops lends a finely balanced aroma".

Has anyone tried to clone this. Do any of the Coopers recipes come close to this style?

Your text to link here...

Sounds a bit like Cooper's Family Secret Amber Ale. Rich deep copper in colour, this mid bodied Ale has a biscuity malt palate balanced by toffee caramel sweetness and a nutty finish with citrus hop notes. It certainly has the caramel sweetness and biscuity taste and nutty finish, but not so much citrus hop notes. http://store.coopers.com.au/thomas-coopers-family-secret-amber-ale-1-7kg.html

Hi Kairi, just in case you haven't found this link, there's a few English-style ale recipes in the 'Ale' section of the Coopers recipe database. In particular the Ashes Ale, Battleship Bitter, Extra Smooth Bitter and Yorkshire Square.

I had a friend brew the English Bitter kit with 1kg LDM, and that came out great. With some extra finishing hops it would have been even better.

Cheers,

John

There is not much info on the label, only the ABV, which is 4.8%, and the fact that it uses a "unique blend" of English malts and has a nutty flavour. A nutty flavour can come from certain base malts, or specialty grains, or yeast. You could try pouring a glass and holding it up to an EBC colour chart, to get an idea of the colour, and also letting a sample go flat / degasing it, and taking a gravity reading.

English Bitter recipes are usually very simple, just English pale malt and crystal, and a lot depends on the malts used and the yeast. The "unique blend" descriptor may be a hint that they add another specialty malt, in addition to the crystal, but it is hard to say. The mention of the coastal area may be another hint. Is the coastal area famous for anything brewing wise, perhaps a certain kind of yeast?

If you want to try to clone this you should email the brewer and see what they will reveal. Without more info, you are just shooting in the dark. Failing that see if you can find an interview with the brewer online, or a brewery tour video....Actually I just checked a few videos and they are all malt brewers, so don't use sugar or brew enhancers in your recipe. He might actually give you the recipe because in one video he said something like, "I could give you the recipe but it wouldn't taste the same, because it is secondary to the process." They are also keen to keep it as fresh as possible, so they refrigerate right after bottling.

Cheers,

Christina.

For an extract beer, try Cooper's Yorkshire Square, substituting half a kilo of the light extract with amber and use a "Cara-" or light crystal instead of the crystal. The recipe has most of what you are looking for, but trying to actually clone any beer is a fool's errand.

If you are up to all grain we can get even closer - but the whole idea of "crafting" beer is to make something as good as, or better, otherwise it is a lot cheaper and easier to just go out and buy the original beer!

Archived