Coopers Community

Fermentables

Albers

The website states:

"Fermentables

To assist you in making a premium quality beer, we have developed a range of products specifically designed to enhance the natural malt flavour and beer quality of our Coopers DIY Beer products. Intended to replace the use of sugar, these products can be used as desired to achieve subtle or significant variations to your brew. Our carbonation drops will help you get the carbonation levels of your beers just right, simply and quickly."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of these "fermentables" were available before Coopers started offering them to the market.

Brew Enhancer #1 was originally "Body Brew" made available by N.S.W. Home Brewing and Brewiser.

Brew Enhancer #2 was originally "Brew Enhancer #1" made available by N.S.W. Home Brewing and Brewiser.

Brew Enhancer #3 was originally "Brew Enhancer #2" made available by N.S.W. Home Brewing and Brewiser.

Were these products actually "developed by Coopers" and copied by N.S.W. Home Brewing and Brewiser, or the other way around?

Hi Albers,

I don't know the answer to your question but what does it matter? Contrary to the claim that adding 1kg of any of them will produce "premium quality" beer, they won't. You need 100% malt for that and all of the Brew Enhancers have dextrose and maltodextrin in them.

If you used 1kg of DME and BE 2 or 3, then you *might* end up with something resembling premium quality, but probably not....I would not touch BE1 with a 10ft pole. wink

Cheers,

Christina.

Why not? If others have come up with the same formula it isn't all that unlikely to be co-incindence, if you are using round numbers there are only so many combinations that will work. Never heard of your brew shop and if they did copy Cooper's who cares?

By the number of replies your troll has attracted, I would say not many...

• 2 months later...

I had a question for the experienced brewers that relates to this, so I'm understanding it's a good idea to ditch malto altogether? I just seemed to have better head retention on the beers I've done with BE than I do with all malt. I know dex can be used in some strong recipes to beef up the %, but in less alcoholic beers I'm not using it anymore cos I think it ruins the flavour. And I'm onboard with all malt for sure, most of the beers I've made with BE I end up wishing I'd thrown in an extra 500gms of LDM.

So I guess I'm wondering how to improve head retention in K+K beers, probably a billion posts about this on here but I've been having trouble finding the right info.

I had a question for the experienced brewers that relates to this' date=' so I'm understanding it's a good idea to ditch malto altogether? I just seemed to have better head retention on the beers I've done with BE than I do with all malt. I know dex can be used in some strong recipes to beef up the %, but in less alcoholic beers I'm not using it anymore cos I think it ruins the flavour. And I'm onboard with all malt for sure, most of the beers I've made with BE I end up wishing I'd thrown in an extra 500gms of LDM.

So I guess I'm wondering how to improve head retention in K+K beers, probably a billion posts about this on here but I've been having trouble finding the right info.

[/quote']

I usually steep 200-250 grams of Carapils in my brews. That's supposed to aid head retention.

https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/16033/

I have been using kit and LDM exclusively for quite a number of years now, when I lived in Alice Springs I had a custom built brew room which was temperature controlled, I brewed and conditioned my beers in that room and never had head retention problems. When I made the sea change to Port Lincoln a few years ago I started brewing in the shed, I have a controlled fridge for brewing but didn't even think about the conditioning process and so had a number of failures until I built an insulated box from ply, put an electric blanket in it and control it with an STC 1000, problem solved!

The other problem that you may encounter is the glass cleanliness. I had an online debate with Dr Smurto some years ago, ( I found him a bit of a unit anyway) I had made a couple of beer glasses into the "headmaster" style by dropping a masonry bit into the bottom of the glass a few times which creates a rough bottom in the glass and creates some resemblance to commercial ones, he chastised me about the quality of the beer and suggested that there was no need to have that type of glass because if the beer was any good it shouldn't need that type of glass, however, anyone who has drunk as much beer over their life as I have have will know that the glass can and will make all the difference. Next time you get in a round at the pub, check the heads on all the beers pulled from the same tap by the same bar-person and tell me that all the beers retain their head equally!

Anyway, I still use my customized glasses most of the time but it simply makes the cleaning process less critical, I usually just rinse my beer glasses in clean rainwater after use and store them in the fridge, giving them a more rigorous clean once week or so.

Just a little note to reinforce my earlier post regarding the condition of glasses and its relationship to head retention. We have had my son and his partner staying with us for a week, I had been using a couple of my favourite glasses, I had rinsed them and left them on the sink to dry, the kids came along to do some dishes and washed my beer glasses in the sink with the other dishes....head retention, nil! I have since given them a good clean up and almost have them back to normal, don't let anyone try and tell you glass quality has no effect on your beer!

Archived