Coopers Community

Rules for Hop additions?

John

I don't know of a "rule of thumb".

I think it's more to do with the type of hop, how well it performs when used for flavour and aroma and how much you like the character it imparts.

As an example of 2 types of hop:

I'm yet to find the limit when dry hopping with Motueka hop - it imparts delightful; aromatics [love]

Dry hopping with any amount of Saaz hop seems to be too much (for me, it leaves a grassy character)[pinched] However, I find that it performs okay if I add Saaz at f/out or steep it in hot water.

When I get a hold of a hop variety I have not used before I add it to a "stock brew" - that is, 1.7kg Austrlaian Pale Ale Beer kit + 500g LDME, bring the LDME to the boil in a couple of litres of water, make a hop addition (I add 10g) for 15mins boil then a second addition (I add 15g) at f/out and leave to steep with the lid on for about 30mins then strain into the FV mix in the beer kit and fill to the 20 litre mark.

Rather than the "stock brew" method, perhaaps a good rule of thumb is to start with a small addition, critique the beer then make the decision whether to up the qty for next time.

G'day Paul

I have read a lot of posts, and your FAQs sheet (a couple of times) and have made some assumptions about what a few of the hop terms mean, so for everyone elses benefit, when you get a chance can you or someone else who knows, explain what some of the more common terms refer to relating to hopping, e.g. late hop, dry hop, one legged hop etc.

Thanks

I have knocked up a "glossary of terms" ready to be placed on the website soon (phase 2).[whistling

Bittering Hops - boiled for 30mins or more to extract bitterness. Will impart some flavour but aromatic volatiles are likely to be driven off.[smile]

Flavour Hops - boiled for about 15mins will impart some bitterness and leave some aromatics.[biggrin]

Aroma Hops - tossed in at the end of boil or made up as a hop tea and added to the FV or simply thrown into the FV (dry hopping). The more they are exposed to heat the more bitterness and flavour they impart.[cool]

Late Dry Hoppiing - hops tossed into the dispensing keg.[love]

Crazy Late Dry Hopping - hops packed into a cylinder (or similar) with the beer passing through on the way to the glass.[tongue]

Super Crazy Late Dry Hopping - hops tossed into the glass then fill the glass with beer and strain with your teeth![w00t]

I am finding the older your are prepared to let your beer get, the more hops you can put in. In a high gravity beers, I double up the dark grain, the 15 min boil hops, the 2 minute hops and dry hop twice during fermentation. After a year, I have found these beers are my favourites I have made. Even had one two years old that I wish I shared with a friend as it tasted wonderful.

Crazy Late Dry Hopping - hops packed into a cylinder (or similar) with the beer passing through on the way to the glass.[tongue]

I had a sample of this at G&G one Saturday morning, I think it was called a Randall? Far out! What a great flavour! Can't remember the variety, but it was nice!

I'm told that Richard, at the Wig and Pen (Canberra), has even put truffles in his cylinder. I've tasted his hopinator, hopsternator, hopmoster - sorry can't actually remember the name of it...

Anyway, it was an ale drawn through the cylinder (packed with hops only) - DELIGHTFUL!!

I'm told that Richard, at the Wig and Pen (Canberra), has even put truffles in his cylinder. I've tasted his hopinator, hopsternator, hopmoster - sorry can't actually remember the name of it...

Anyway, it was an ale drawn through the cylinder (packed with hops only) - DELIGHTFUL!!

Has PB2 got Alzheimers - starting to repeat himself.[biggrin]

Great topic - thanks for all the contributions. I recon I'll give the last option a go at some stage:

Super Crazy Late Dry Hopping - hops tossed into the glass then fill the glass with beer and strain with your teeth!

Tried the Super Crazy Late Dry Hopping with an old Pale Ale this weekend. Aside from starting to look a little like baby puke after a while it was a cool experiment.

I was trying out 2 new hop variety's and wondered what they would do to flavour/aroma. Chuck in a piece of pellet into 2 seperate glasses - add the same "base beer", let it "soak" and taste away.

Favourite was the Motueka (yum)even at high "dosage". Just like PB2 said.[biggrin] [love]

• 1 month later...

When I get a hold of a hop variety I have not used before I add it to a "stock brew" - that is, 1.7kg Austrlaian Pale Ale Beer kit + 500g LDME, bring the LDME to the boil in a couple of litres of water, make a hop addition (I add 10g) for 15mins boil then a second addition (I add 15g) at f/out and leave to steep with the lid on for about 30mins then strain into the FV mix in the beer kit and fill to the 20 litre mark.

I am intending to try this method using some Willamette hops I just got my hands on. Would you reccomend the commercial yeast culture at 18 degrees?

Thankyou in advance! [kissing]

I'm going to order some hops soon' date=' what you suggest for an IPA or real ale? I'm also going to put down some English bitter soon I'm thinking Fuggles. Most of what I can get is the pellets and I'm not sure about the best way to use them [innocent']

I might not be the best person to ask abut hops but I can say that I made an American style IPA recently using cluster and cascade. It turned out pretty good, if slightly less hoppy than expected. I added both 12g tea bags at flame out and steeped 20 minutes. You might like to try 30g of cascade [love] half at flame out and half at 72 hours.

As for the English Bitter I had a shocker with that one. [sick]

I prefer Fuggles for a darker beer. If I were going to do another EB I might go for a Goldings variety or maybe Bullion if you can get them. Experiment and see what works for you. Isn't that half the fun?

A brief list of hop varieties and uses here http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/hops.html

Thanks for the pointers Borris [cool] Maybe I'll buy some Fuggles when I want to try my hand at a stout. I'm thinking that to start off I'll buy bot kinds of whole leaf hops available to me and dry hop them in real ale.

Here's a list of the pellet hops I can get my hands on

* Amerillo

* Centennial

* Cascade

* Fuggles

* Golding (U.S.)

* Hallertau (GR)

* Northern Brewer (GR)

* Perle (GR)

* Tettnanger (GR)

* Willamette

* Saaz (US)

in addition to the pellets I can also get whole leaf cascade and Amarillo.

• 3 weeks later...

I think whole leaf hops does mean hop flowers.

Just out of interest has anyone tried late dry hopping by adding 1/2 or 1 hop pellet to a bottle when bottling, or will I have to do my own guinea pigging on this one? [ninja] [sideways]

1. Using the back of a soup spoon, crush a hop pellet onto a plate

2. Pour youself a glass of beer

3. Dab your index finger on the hop dust.

4. Dab you hop coated finger on your tongue.

5. Take a swig of beer and return to step 3

[biggrin] [happy] [pinched] [sideways]

Paul, that thing you posted here and intend to get put on the site about how to use hops is the ducks nuts!

i copied n pasted it to my desktop!!

you should also consider putting on the site the thing about coopers kit yeast strains that you get asked about every year or so, save you reposting it! (you know that Ac = coopers etc etc thing)

cheers

matt

Archived