Coopers Community

Coopers Light

Linz1525229975

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Coopers Brewery,

I am a loyal customer who has been drinking your beer for many years.

On special occasions, I treat myself to Coopers Pale Ale or some of the Selection beers. In winter on a cold weekend evening, I like nothing more than a couple of Coopers Stout stubbies by the fire.

I have not just been drinking your products, but eagerly converting my friends to your superior products.

Which brings me to my favourite of your products. The beer I would purchase far more than any other beer on the market.

Each Friday after work I would go to the local supermarket and purchase my box of Coopers Light for the week. (They never used to stock your light until I requested it). I loved the fact that your light tasted so much more like full strength beer than any of your competitors light beer. I enjoyed the malty full taste of a Coopers beer while being able to have three or four responsibly over the course of an evening out.

In the full-strength market, you have many competitors including the so called ‘craft beers’. In the light beer market, you had no competition when it came to taste. Hahn light is barely tolerable, the rest are completely undrinkable. You were miles in front of the pack. But not anymore. Like all the rest, Coopers Light no longer tastes like proper beer. Like all the other light beers it now tastes, well, lets just say not good. As with your competitors your new recipe light beer now leaves an aftertaste of cheap wine, not beer.

I still don’t know what I’ll purchase now on my weekly trip to the supermarket, but it won’t be this new version of Coopers Light.

Please bring back Coopers Light, the real one not this current product. Keep the smaller bottles if you must, but please bring back the Coopers favour.

Sincerely,

Ben K

Linz /Ben K - I forwarded your concerns to our Brewing Team. They came back with this:

Despite the new look packaging, our Coopers Premium Light has not changed – it is still an all-malt brew and it has always been filtered and pasteurised. In other words the recipe and process have not changed. The change in wording on the label from “ALL MALT” to “FINE FILTERED” was made in order to draw a distinction between our cloudy ales (naturally conditioned) and our bright beers (meaning filtered).

Well there you go.

All I can say is that perception is reality. I used to be associated with Coca Cola, and some while back they brought out the "NEW" drink which was supposed to be the "original".

Well consumers turned away in droves. "I'm not drinking the sh*t".

Well, maybe like your product PB2, there was in fact no change made at all. It was still the same recipe they had used for years.

See, all you have to do is change a word, maybe two, and people will perceive that it is different. It is just mind games, but sometimes it can backfire.

Food for thought

Bill

“In other words the recipe and process have not changed”.

Dear PB2,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It looks like I owe you an apology, not to mention a face washer to get all the egg off my face.

In my defence, perhaps, just maybe, I got a bad batch on my first taste of the ‘new bottle’, but obviously, I should just man up and apologise.

I’m sorry Coopers Brewery, please forgive me.

My apology is sincere, and I am very keen to go back to Coopers Light. To prove it and just for a bit of fun I propose to undertake a double-blind taste test at my upcoming poker night in a fortnight. I have access to some of the ‘old bottle’ beer still well within in date. I will get an impartial person to serve this for my friends along with the ‘new bottle’ product. In plain unmarked glasses of course, and record the results from my guests. Just a good old fashioned taste test.

I guess the new look must have influenced my perception of the taste. For the record and for what it’s worth,which admittedly is very little, I much prefer the original label (and for that matter the original bottle which you phased out a few years back. see below, original, previous and new) The old look was classy and looked like a Coopers beer. Apart from the word Coopers the new smaller bottle and label looks like any of your competitors. I’m not sure this is a positive direction for your product. But the taste is the most important thing and so I am already looking forward to my next Coopers Light.

Sincerely,

Ben K

1483523650_83_587.JPG**admin assist**

While on the subject of non non full strength beers, i reckon Coopers Mild Ale is the best around.

Seems to be the only commercial mid strength with flavour. VB mid, XXX mid , Carlton mid,

Take your pick, all bland flavorless swill.

And dont get me started on any Haan product, they should be ashamed of themselves producing such undrinkable crap.

• 1 month later...

Hey, don't upset the South Africans, Gag!

I actually like Coopers Light, and mostly in summer I brew traditional British ales, which are also all-malt and relatively low in alcohol. So Coopers didn't actually invent anything, but I really appreciate what they have done with the hops.

Don't really give a rat's what colour a bottle is myself, as I always store my beer somewhere dark and cool. What worries me is if they shift to these thin glass bottles that are so popular these days, but near impossible to re-use. crying

Archived