Coopers Community

Thomas Coopers Pilsener

ScottM1

Hello,

Has anyone done this badboy yet? I started mine on Saturday and I wanted to know if anyone has had any success with it?

Is it similar to any commercial beer? Pictures?

Sorry I'm like a little school boy waiting for his bike when I venture into a new brew!!

This one is often a keg filler at my place.

The recipe I use is slightly different to the recommendation on the side of the can:

1.7kg Pilsener

1kg Light Dry Malt

Made to 20 litres

Start at about 24C then draw it down to 15C after 12hrs.

Hi PB2

I like the look of your recipe.

1.7kg Pilsener

1kg Light Dry Malt

Made to 20 litres

Do you add any hops to balance the extra malt or does the reduced volume makes the re-balance work?

Thanks Brian

• 1 year later...

G'day all,

For my next brew I'd like to do a Pilsener, but was wondering does it have enought Hops? What I've read in other posts is 'try it how it is first then tweak' which is a good idea. But how Hopps is it? I'm trying to brew something as hopps as a bitburger.

Also I'm not much of a LDM fan, could I use a brew enhancer? and which one would work better?

How hopps. . .[lol]

Well, I suppose the suggestion to do it as is, is because everyone likes different amounts. If you do it and think it lacks, bump up the hops.

Maybe just Brewing Sugar or Brew Enhancer 1 might work best for you?

ok I'll give that a try first.

also has any one tried the 'India Pale Ale'? it said in it's discription that it's "India Pale AleA strong, robust ale with bold malt characters with very high hopping levels.

"

just wondering what everyone thinks of this one?

Luthien, It is a beautiful drop. In my opinion it is one of the better kits that Coopers produce. In saying that I have only had issues with the lager kit (which will hopefully soon be forgotten when I crack open my latest lager brew).

Definately try it as is first. I didn't think the pilsner style was supposed to be extremely hoppy. But yes try it first to the recommended recipe and change it to your taste after that.

In terms of the Pils, I am putting one down this weekend with just 500g of DME for a mid strength version.

What are the thoughts of dry hopping some Saaz with this kit? Say 15-20 grams...

This is a top drop - last time I brewed as per the tin with a couple of Saaz additions but they were in the boil - very nice!

I'm copy-pasting my answer from another thread...

I'm doing 2 TC Pilsener back to back right now. First brew, I did the recommended receipe. Second one, I added 1.3 kg. liquid malt extract + 15g Saaz boil for 15 mins + 15g Saaz flame out. They were both made to 20 liters.

I've read 2 or 3 threads where they were recommending not to dry hop Saaz in the Pilsener because it was giving it a prononced grassy taste. They said it was better to boil or steep it. Anyone agreeing with this? Have you tried it?

Will let you know how it turns out.

• 2 months later...

I've had this one on for a day and the action in the fermenter seems to be very sleepy. I'm assuming there will be no crazy krausen in this puppy? FYI it started at 20 deg and has eased down to 15 deg where I would like it to stay. I have done a Beck's clone with this can before and I let it ferment for 19 days, according to my records, but I can't recall it being this drowsy.

• 2 weeks later...

The new temperature controller has made things so easy.

I pitched my Tom Coopers Pilsener at 20.3 deg 11 days ago, I let it down to 15.8 over the next 24 hours, and over the last week I have managed to keep it between 13.9 to 14.5 deg.

It started with an SG of 1036 and is down to 1014.

pilsenerbrewcard.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you recommend for now? I was inclined to let it go for as long as it needs. Maybe another 5 days. Then up the temp by to 16 degrees for a day or two to let the yeast clean up the remaining sugars.

Then I'll rack to another fermenter to bulk prime, fill my stubbies, condition at 18 degrees for a fortnight then let it sit for a few months. It will be tough to wait as I tasted the brew tonight and it already tastes clean and spot on.

Any suggestions?

This brew seems to have stopped at 1014. I've upped the temp to 16 degrees to clean up for a couple of days.

It's my first foray into real temperature control so I'd like to do this right. Am I on the right track, Paul?

• 7 months later...

Archived