Coopers Community

Some favourite commercial beers of mine. What're some of yours?

Ale.Coholic

Thought I'd start a thread talking about some favourite commercial beers so we can compare notes and try some other good ones. Since starting brewing i haven't bought many beers and i want to make sure they're are good ones when i do.

I'm into Ales mainly (as the name suggests) but love beer of all types.

The best beer is the one in your hand, but here's a few that I've enjoyed and will buy again.

Holgate Road Trip - American IPA

Bridge Road Pale Ale

Feral Hop Hog - IPA/Pale

Pirate Life - the whole line up is great. IIPA is killer!

Kaiju Robohop - Red IPA

4pines Indian Summer Ale - great hoppy session ale

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum IIPA at 10% it's dangerous

There's a few. The list could go on snd on. They're are all Aussie except Sierra Nevada of course so might be a bit hard to come by for a lot of crew, but I'm sure someone else will fly other flags.

I'm keen to see some of your favourites too.

Cheers,

Luke

Too many to name! I suppose I'll go through a few that I wouldn't hesitate buying again:

Australia: Lovedale Lager, Wicked Elf Pilsner, Balmain Pilsner & Balmain Bock, Dos Blockos, Little Creatures Bright Ale, Stone & Wood Pacific Ale, Coopers Dark Ale & Best Extra Stout, Cavalier Brown Ale, Young Henry's Natural Lager & Real Ale, Riverside 44 American Amber & Othello's Curse Black IIPA, Boags Draught, Derwent Farmhouse Spelt Ale, Feral Smoked Porter

Americas: Dos Equis Amber, Abita Amber, Tecate, Negra Modelo, Primo, Granville Island Honey Lager, Sleemans Cream Ale, Father John's Winter Ale, Sasquatch Stout, Moose Drool Brown Ale, Anchor Steam Beer

Europe: Guiness, Boddington's Pub Ale, Old Speckled Hen, Lowenbrau, Schofferhoefer Weissbier, Fransiskaner Dunkel, Aecht Schlenkerla Doppelbock, Kozel & Kozel Cerny, Budvar, Pistonhead, Birra Peroni, Birra Menebrea

Asia: Kloud OG, Kirin Ichiban, Suntory Premium Malts, Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout

I haven't drank anything from Hawthorn for ages Mt potato. I'll keep my eye out for the Pale on special! cool

Yes Pilch, Pin Tail is a goody. I like the Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA too. I've been meaning to try the Red Trolley Ale from them as well. Have you tried many other Bridge Road beers? Their "Bling" series are all worthy and they did a single hop Galaxy IPA that was great. love

Jeremy-o you mention some classics that I've enjoyed and some i haven't tried yet also. Stone and Wood Pacific was my gateway beer! wink

I forgot to mention Brewdog Punk IPA. I have a soft spot for Coopers Pale Ale, it's the best beer for the price IMHO.

Some of my favourites:

• A few Coopers staples - the Pale, ESVA and BES ... they've got to be Aussie classics for sure! I always want to like the Sparkling, and I can see its attraction, but to me the Pale wins in pure refreshment.
  • Orval trappist ale - just beautiful, one to really sip and savour
  • Just about anything from Blackheart Brewery out of Victoria. They make a good range of styles and every example I have tried has been great. I think I've tried the Saison, American Pale Ale, Vienna Lager, Dunkelweizen and a couple more that escape me at the moment.
  • Bridge Road are consistently very tasty - great Saison especially ... and I liked their single-hop IPA 4-pack, each bottle with a different hop. That was very interesting!
  • Mornington Peninsula Brewery make a really nice pale ale and IPA
  • Moo Brew - love the Belgo and Hefeweizen
  • Canberra local Zierholz - really enjoy the their Hopmeister and Amber (altbier)
  • Another Canberra local, Wig & Pen - really, really enjoy their English bitter, ESB and English IPA on hand-pump.
  • I can't possibly leave out what is possibly my current favourite, Timothy Taylor's Landlord ale. It just has such nice malt flavour, with a firm bitterness to back it up, a burst of hop flavour and a crisp dry finish that makes you want to keep drinking them by the pint. Fantastic stuff!

Edit: How did I forget my favourite American IPA? Of all the ones I've tried, the one from Avery Brewing Co. is by far my favourite.

Edit #2: Sorry Ale.Coholic, looks like the thread is broken. Whenever I try to post a new message I get a 404 HTTP response. Yep I'm a Canberran, and don't mind BentSpoke, but prefer Zierholz and Wig & Pen personally. BentSpoke's not bad, but maybe I'm getting old, because I find it pretty loud, not very comfortable and a lot of the beers are 'just ok'.

Having said that, I'm a fan of their Crankshaft IPA, that's really well done. Also I once had a beautiful chocolate, chili and cinnamon stout there. I wasn't expecting much, but it was terrific! The hot wings there are pretty good too.

I have to say that Wig & Pen does some weird stuff as well that's sometimes not great, but I love their staple English ales. And every winter they release 5 different stouts and do a tasting paddle. I really look forward to that every year!

I have tried the Pact beers. I like the Pale Ale and the Hefeweizen ... nice and easy drinking but plenty of favour. I wasn't a big fan of the summer ale ... although it was my wife that ordered it while I was drinking a DIPA from a WA brewery I hadn't heard of, so my palate was probably shot at the time.

Oh and the good thing about Zierholz is you can get a 5 litre mini-keg happy ... never lasts long though! It's a bit out of the way, but the food is so good there.

Porschemad, you're a Canberra head!?!

My wife is from there and every time we're up there we always hit up Bent Spoke Brewery. They do some great beers and good food too. "Crankshaft" and "Sprocket" are stand outs, but I've liked all their brews. Not available off premises though annoyed

I have hit up the Wig and Pen a few times too. I had a thai green curry beer there ince that was interesting. Coriander, ginger and chilli. Different img[img]surprised

Have you had any beers from Pact Brewery? I tried their Pale and Summer ales and didn't m8nd them either

Archived