Coopers Community

'Secondary' fermentation question

tmcmah

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering whether it will affect my brew too much if, after 2 weeks at a steady 18oC I move the FV out of the wine fridge and into my cupboard. The temp will definitely be higher than 18oC, maybe 22oC (24oC max), but will only stay at that temp for 7 days. After this it'll be put into another fridge to cold crash, and then i'll bottle or keg.

I want to do this because I only have one fridge with specific temperature control and don't want to buy a temperature control device for the second fridge to brew multiple batches.

And just FYI, this will mainly be in conjunction with US-05 yeast.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Yeah no dramas doing that. The only thing I'd do differently (because it's what I normally do) is to raise the temp after one week rather than two weeks, or in your case, remove the brew from the fermenting fridge. Then it can be cold crashed after the second week and kegged/bottled after 3 weeks.

Which reminds me, I have to do an FG sample on my pale ale now, if it's the same as it was on Friday then I'll drop the fridge down for CCing and look to keg it Monday week.

Archived