Coopers Community

Zombie Dust by 3 Floyds

Shibby

Has anyone tried a zombie dust pale ale before and can share what it was like?

I have seen it is highly regarded in the US but cant find any locally to try.

I have a few hundred grams of Citra and thinking about cloning it.

Hi Shibby.

Not readily available commercially here in AUS, but no matter.

If I was going to brew this beer for myself, the following recipe is what I'd base my brew on.

skeezerpleezer's Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone.

231 pages of posts since the recipe was originally listed in 2010 on the HBT forum, & rated No.8 on the HBT Top 100 for 2015.

Yeah I'd be brewing it. cool

If you need any help converting it from the AG recipe, just let us know. wink

I hope that helps,

Lusty.

Wow thanks never been on HBT before. I have a grainfather so I can do an AG brew for this. Looks like so many good beers in that top 100 list. Before flicking through the 231 pages, say if over the 5 years, is the recipe on the first page the original one, and there may be updated ones in the 231 pages? Or if the author updates it would it be update don main page. I hope that made sense.

Before flicking through the 231 pages' date=' say if over the 5 years, is the recipe on the first page the original one, and there may be updated ones in the 231 pages? Or if the author updates it would it be update don main page. I hope that made sense.[/quote']

The HBT Top 100 links directly to the first page with the recipe listing on it that suggests to me it is unchanged. Just like you, I have better things to do than sift through 231 pages to verify that, but feel free to confirm that for yourself if you feel it is necessary. tongue

The brewer actually mentions early on that he has done the brew a number of times & used two (I think?) different yeasts with it that both turned out well.

For the same reason you mentioned, I originally did check the last 8-9 pages of that thread to see if any alterations had taken place with it, but there was not a single post by the original brewer, just one bloke doing a lot of talking to himself mainly! lol

I'd take the recipe listed in the original post as being the one to brew. wink

Good luck with the brew, & let us know how you get on.

Lusty.

• 3 months later...

This brew has been bottled for 4 weeks now, I didnt want to keg it so I could save a few.

I had a sample at 2 weeks and at 4. At 2 weeks it was quite sweet and hoppy, but now its tasting alot nicer with a better bitterness at 4 weeks.

Its smells and tastes fantastic. I highly recommend giving it a go, especially if you like Citra.

I have notices the 2015 harvest to start appearing in the shops.

Also the brew seems to get nicer once it warms a few degrees.

• 1 month later...

G'day,

I stumbled across this recipe in the HBT list and wanted to give the extract version a crack and was hoping someone could offer some advice. I have used grains before but only with the ROTMs and the instructions there are pretty straight forward. Without exact instructions I'm a little lost.

I have scaled it down to half size - partly due to cost and partly to minimise waste if it turns out I stuff it up.

Batch Size: 9.5 L

Boil Volume: 5.7 L

1.36 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %

0.225 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %

0.115 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

0.115 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

0.115 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

15 g Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU - remove if doing a full boil.

11 g Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

43 g Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

SafAle English Ale (S-04)

Firstly, does this look right? Does it work to just halve all amounts?

My main confusion is with grains, water and boil size. I'm not sure how much water to use when steeping the grains, and do i need to rinse them?

Do I add the First Wort Hops during the grain steep?

I have a 20L pot so can do a full boil (I'm assuming that's what that means - correct me if I'm wrong). Do I just add water up to a certain amount after the grains have been removed, add the malt extract and begin the boil?

I'm also a bit confused as to how I end up at the batch size if I can boil the whole lot. Do I start at 9.5L, lose some during the boil and then top up?

So much I'm not sure about haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - Josh

I am not 100% sure. And i am sure people will correct me if i am wrong. But halving the hop amount. And halving the boil size will end up with only 1/2 (or something like that) the ibu in the finished wort. I dont fully understand it and i am sure otto can explain it better. But i think you probably need about 80% of the hop amount from the original recipe to get the same ibu if u halve the boil size. And no i dont understand why. I just know from using recipe calculators that u can get higher ibu from same amount of hops with a larger boil size

G'day' date='

I stumbled across this recipe in the HBT list and wanted to give the extract version a crack and was hoping someone could offer some advice. I have used grains before but only with the ROTMs and the instructions there are pretty straight forward. Without exact instructions I'm a little lost.

I have scaled it down to half size - partly due to cost and partly to minimise waste if it turns out I stuff it up.

Batch Size: 9.5 L

Boil Volume: 5.7 L

1.36 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %

0.225 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %

0.115 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

0.115 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

0.115 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

15 g Citra [12.40%'] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU - remove if doing a full boil.

11 g Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

15 g Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

43 g Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

SafAle English Ale (S-04)

Firstly, does this look right? Does it work to just halve all amounts?

My main confusion is with grains, water and boil size. I'm not sure how much water to use when steeping the grains, and do i need to rinse them?

Do I add the First Wort Hops during the grain steep?

I have a 20L pot so can do a full boil (I'm assuming that's what that means - correct me if I'm wrong). Do I just add water up to a certain amount after the grains have been removed, add the malt extract and begin the boil?

I'm also a bit confused as to how I end up at the batch size if I can boil the whole lot. Do I start at 9.5L, lose some during the boil and then top up?

So much I'm not sure about haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - Josh

Hi Josh,

Others may disagree but I am a bit concerned about the size of the grain steep, and the fact that it contains Melanoidin and Munich malt, which are "supposed " to be mashed (not sure about Carafoam). If you are only using a small amount of such grains you can get away with just steeping them, which will still give you their flavour and colour but not their alcohol potential. However any starches they contain will remain unconverted, which is food for spoilage organisms; it may lead to haze too. In short too many unconverted starches are a bad thing. It is a good idea to keep them low.

If it were me I would keep things simple and just replace the Munich grains with light DME, which will reduce the size of your steep, and steep the rest as per usual. The other option is to keep the Munich and do a partial mash with an equal amount of base malt (2-row), so 570gm in this case. Personally I find partial mashes a lot of work and try to avoid them. I would not find it worth it for a 9.5L batch; might as well do it all-grain.

Cheers! -Christina.

PS To answer your question, if just steeping the volume and temperature of the water is not critical. Most people use warm water, around 60C, and about a 3:1 ratio of water to grains, for half an hour, and rinse them. It is important to keep the rinse water <76C to avoid extracting tannins.

PPS Most people are trying to make a 23L batch and don't have a pot big enough, so they target a gravity of 1.040 for the boil and hold back some of the extract until the last 15 minutes, then dilute to volume in the fermentor. But in your case, since you are only making 9.5L, and your pot is plenty big enough for that, you could add all of the extract at the beginning and do a full wort boil. But your boil size will have to be bigger than 9.5L, as you will loose some volume to evaporation during the boil. Others can provide more guidance....

Thanks for your replies Bolchy and Christina. It's much appreciated smile

It all seemed pretty easy when I had a look at the recipe haha. (I'm only a relative novice). I'm glad I posted up before trying it.

I hadn't thought about the hop utilisation like that. Would boiling the hops in around or over 10 L be ok as long as the gravity was right?

When looking at the grains in the recipe I figured I would just follow the instructions they gave:

Steep the grains at in the mid 150s for 45-60 minutes. It is assuming a 5 gallon batch, 3 gallon - 60 minute boil, and adding the extract at the beginning.

I didn't put any thought into if the different grains needed to be steeped or mashed, i just took their word for it. Thanks for the heads up. I'd like to experiment but not reach too far just yet. If I was to replace the Munich grains with light DME, do you know how much I would need? Or is there a way to calculate this?

Thanks for the info on the steeping too.

Does anyone have a rough idea of how many litres I would need to start at if I want to end up at around 9.5L? Or is this a bit of trail and error?

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Hi Josh. The boil off rate does vary from system to system. An all-grain brewer can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the average is around 14%/hour. That works out to about 1.33L for a 9.5L batch, so start with around 10.85L at the beginning of the boil.

Actually I am not sure what is the "correct" way of substituting DME for the Munich. The two options that come to mind would be to figure out how many gravity points the Munich would have provided, and then use whatever amount of DME gives you the same, which I can not be bothered to figure out. The second option is to do a straight gm for gm swap. Personally I would just round it up the DME to 1.5kg and not worry about it.

Since you will be doing a full wort boil (which is the ideal way to do it BTW), I see your recipe says to skip the 15gm Citra addition at 60 minutes and just use the 11gm FWH addition. Add your hop tea to the extract at the beginning of the boil.

Citra is delicious. I just used it myself for the first time recently and I love it. I will be using it a lot more for summer time brews.

Good luck Josh! I think you will have a really nice brew. happy Cheers! -Christina.

PS The only thing about doing a full wort boil is that you have to cool it to pitching temp first. Are you going no-chill in a cube? Or do you have a wort chiller? Some other plan?

Actually I am not sure what is the "correct" way of substituting DME for the Munich.

brewing software like Beersmith can convert a recipe to extract.

BS2 tells me 230g of Munich can be replaced by 200g of Pale Liquid Extract,

Actually I am not sure what is the "correct" way of substituting DME for the Munich.

brewing software like Beersmith can convert a recipe to extract.

BS2 tells me 230g of Munich can be replaced by 200g of Pale Liquid Extract.

Thanks Ben.

And I think you multiple by 0.8 to convert LME to DME? So 200gm LME = 160gm DME?

Cheers! -Christina.

Archived