Coopers Community

Great Canadian Beer Festival

Beerlust

Doing a little web surfing, I came across the following...

The Great Canadian Beer Festival.

60-70 craft breweries on show, all with multiple beer offererings to sample.

The beer list can beer found HERE.

Talk about spoiled for choice! w00tcool (insert envious icon!)

I noted there was even a "spruce" beer on the list that ChristinaS1 brewed using a short while back. wink

It just looked like it would be an awesome event. Chad, I even reckon it'd be worth the hassle of a 9 odd hour road trip from Golden to Victoria BC to attend!

Message to wife: Pack some clothes, & grab the kids, we're off to the Victoria BC for the weekend! lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

It does look like a great event! But i'm not going to attend this year.

I do make the 9-10 hours journey to Victoria every year since my in-laws live there, but I make that trip in the spring. I live in Golden, in the mountains where winter can linger a little longer than one would like. Victoria is a coastal city so it's climate is warmed by the sea and makes an attractive place to visit. By early spring, I'm craving spring!!

Maybe some day i'll make it it to the festival.

Hey Lusty,

I have tasted brews from many of these breweries listed. Many of the beers that are on hand are specialties or seasonal beers. Many of these breweries are brewpubs that retail in the local of Victoria that i have yet to try. There are a few beers that I would recommend, though. I'd say anything from Howe Sound Brewing is a good choice. They sell their beers in 1L re-sealable "Pot-stopper" bottles which is cool. The Red Racer brewery makes really nice tasting brews, but I find their beers to be overly carbonated. Vancouver Is. Brewery's Hermann's s a really good Dark Bavarian Lager that is really easy drinking yet quite interesting. Russell's Blood Ally ESB is a very good beer.Etc...Etc...

I might try to replicate Van Is. Hermann's.

Chad

Hi Chad.

Thanks for listing a couple of the breweries you are familiar with. smile

I checked each of them out, & had a bit of chuckle along the way too.

One of the sites (I can't remember which) prior to entry asked the usual, "Are you of legal drinking age?". Underneath it had, "Yup" & "Nope". biggrin

I think Ben10 would like living in Canada given the quoted ABV's of some (not all) of the "Session Ales" listed on some of the sites I viewed. A number start @ 5.0%ABV! tongue

The Russell Brewing Co. looked quite impressive. A large portfolio of beers. cool

I especially liked the catchy named "IP'eh!" India Pale Ale. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty. Thanks for this link. wink Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, as it is on the other side of the continent, but I can drool. I see Mill Street Brewery, which I used to visit back when I lived in Toronto, has a Vanilla Porter on offer. Did you notice? It is probably really good. They make an outstanding Coffee Porter as well....Unibroue, in Quebec, is another brewery I am familiar with. They make some very interesting Belgian style beers, heavy on spice additions.

I notice a lack of representation from East Coast craft brewers, probably due to costs. Two great ones are Propeller (Nova Scotia) and Fredericton New Brunswick's (yeah!) own Picaroons. Both put out award winning beers. Picaroons uses Ringwood yeast in all its beers and traditional open style fermentation, which is kind of interesting. Their Irish Red is one of my favourite beers, although the use of Ringwood yeast is not typical in an Irish Red. The owner of Picaroons has been very helpful to a couple of new micro-breweries in the city, renting them space and offering advice. He is not worried about competition; the more the merrier.

Archived