Coopers Community

brewary visits :)

DylanL7

Just thought id make everyone jealous,

Currently in the southwest of WA visiting a few brewarys

Yesterday went to the cheeky monkey brewary

Today went to eagle bay brewing co

Tommorrow ill be heading off to bootleg brewary/colonial brewary!

Also stumbled across a beer ive heen wanting to try for a while, sierra nevada pale ale!

Was almost by accident, had dinner at a bistro and they had FA on tap, so i decided to order a mid

Of stella, wow was it tasteless! It tasted like lemonade, without the lemon...or ade. With a little bicarb taste, I dont know if this is because ive only been drinking craft beers the past few months, but it just tasted like carbonated water. So after dinner i notice a bottleshop across the road and spotted the pale ale. Definatly going to try the kit + hops version Ive seen floating around (might have been ottos)

Thanks!

Dylan

My version is an all grain one wink but certainly achieving something close is doable with a kit and added hops. I have to agree about the Stella though, last year some time my ex's housemate bought a carton of it and I had one or two and yeah, completely flavourless to me now. 10 years ago I enjoyed it... lol

My version is an all grain one wink but certainly achieving something close is doable with a kit and added hops. I have to agree about the Stella though' date=' last year some time my ex's housemate bought a carton of it and I had one or two and yeah, completely flavourless to me now. 10 years ago I enjoyed it... [img']lol[/img]

Yeah i think there was a post furthur down on that thread where your hop bill seemed to make more sence joyful

Will be having a crack with the pale ale kit, already purchased one down here out of excitement biggrin

Dont think i could ever go back to mainstream beer now, tried hop theif on tap on my first day here, thats another favourite!

Hi Dylan' date='

Bootleg have some awesome beers. If you get to the Swan Valley make sure you call into Feral Brewery & try their Hop Hog.

Cheers,

Peter

"Don't waste time, keep drinking".

[/quote']

Hey mate, I went out to the swan valley in july for my birthday to the tap at chapal farm and tryed ferals wheat beer there on tap, is it similar to james squires hop theif? Thats a decent brew.

Just thought id make everyone jealous' date='

Currently in the southwest of WA visiting a few brewarys

Yesterday went to the cheeky monkey brewary

Today went to eagle bay brewing co

Tommorrow ill be heading off to bootleg brewary/colonial brewary!

Also stumbled across a beer ive heen wanting to try for a while, sierra nevada pale ale!

Was almost by accident, had dinner at a bistro and they had FA on tap, so i decided to order a mid

Of stella, wow was it tasteless! It tasted like lemonade, without the lemon...or ade. With a little bicarb taste, I dont know if this is because ive only been drinking craft beers the past few months, but it just tasted like carbonated water. So after dinner i notice a bottleshop across the road and spotted the pale ale. Definatly going to try the kit + hops version Ive seen floating around (might have been ottos)

Thanks!

Dylan[/quote']

Hey Dylan,

I did Bootleg Brewery on Friday (God bless "sick days"), and Colonial and Cheeky Monkey a few weeks ago.

Personally I think Bootleg has the best beers of the 3. Their Speakeasy IPA is really nice, and so is their Prohibition Pilsner.

I didn't think that Colonial had any particular beer that stood out (Although I did have a one off IPA there back in January that was amazing. I think they called it Chief Pontiac IPA), though their chicken wings are definitely worth a try. They have their own beer glasses there too which they sell. I grabbed a few for my homebrews. Makes me feel a bit fancier when I drink them.

Good stuff Dylan! Bear in mind, if you use the APA kit you won't need the full hopping schedule that I posted. I've not visited any of those breweries however, I have tried beers from pretty well all of them at festivals we've had over this side of the country and they have been quite excellent.

Hop Thief is an American pale ale style, rather than a wheat beer, so two different beers there. Also with Hop Thief I think they're up to version 7 now - each version is brewed with different hops. wink I've had the odd mainstream beer here and there, but they never fail to disappoint me these days. lol

Hey Dylan' date='

I did Bootleg Brewery on Friday (God bless "sick days"), and Colonial and Cheeky Monkey a few weeks ago.

Personally I think Bootleg has the best beers of the 3. Their Speakeasy IPA is really nice, and so is their Prohibition Pilsner.

I didn't think that Colonial had any particular beer that stood out (Although I did have a one off IPA there back in January that was amazing. I think they called it Chief Pontiac IPA), though their chicken wings are definitely worth a try. They have their own beer glasses there too which they sell. I grabbed a few for my homebrews. Makes me feel a bit fancier when I drink them.[/quote']

Hey mate,

I've tryed to prohibition pils out of a bottle and loved it too, may have to pick only one to do today as have a few other things on the schedule while we are down here, i iust noticed colonial had a better google review, and from memory they had a few more brews to try. But it may have to be bootleg now!

Good stuff Dylan! Bear in mind' date=' if you use the APA kit you won't need the full hopping schedule that I posted. I've not visited any of those breweries however, I have tried beers from pretty well all of them at festivals we've had over this side of the country and they have been quite excellent.

Hop Thief is an American pale ale style, rather than a wheat beer, so two different beers there. Also with Hop Thief I think they're up to version 7 now - each version is brewed with different hops. [img']wink[/img] I've had the odd mainstream beer here and there, but they never fail to disappoint me these days. lol

Hmm might need to find that thread again, ive got some cascade in the freezer will figure out what else i need. Id say you probably might have tried something from all those brewarys bar cheeky monkey which i havent seen in any bottleshop to date.... oh i was compairing the the wheat beer to hop theif, i was asking if feral brewarys hop hog is a similar style to hop theif biggrin

Hmm might need to find that thread again' date=' ive got some cascade in the freezer will figure out what else i need. Id say you probably might have tried something from all those brewarys bar cheeky monkey which i havent seen in any bottleshop to date.... oh i was compairing the the wheat beer to hop theif, i was asking if feral brewarys hop hog is a similar style to hop theif [img']biggrin[/img]

If you're using a kit base, you won't need the Magnum bittering addition. You may get away without the Perle @ 30 mins although it probably does provide some flavour. You will definitely need the sizeable late Cascade additions though - they are what makes SNPA what it is, hop wise. Otherwise you could just use all unhopped extract with some crystal malt and do the full hop schedule.

Yeah, I don't think Cheeky Monkey was featured. I haven't seen any of the others in bottle shops either - these were craft beer festivals I tried them at. Hop Thief and Hop Hog to me aren't too dissimilar to one another. Hop Hop is an IPA although I'm guessing it's at the low end of the style guides for hoppiness/bitterness. I don't mind it. Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is another one I enjoy.

Hmm might need to find that thread again' date=' ive got some cascade in the freezer will figure out what else i need. Id say you probably might have tried something from all those brewarys bar cheeky monkey which i havent seen in any bottleshop to date.... oh i was compairing the the wheat beer to hop theif, i was asking if feral brewarys hop hog is a similar style to hop theif [img']biggrin[/img]

If you're using a kit base, you won't need the Magnum bittering addition. You may get away without the Perle @ 30 mins although it probably does provide some flavour. You will definitely need the sizeable late Cascade additions though - they are what makes SNPA what it is, hop wise. Otherwise you could just use all unhopped extract with some crystal malt and do the full hop schedule.

Yeah, I don't think Cheeky Monkey was featured. I haven't seen any of the others in bottle shops either - these were craft beer festivals I tried them at. Hop Thief and Hop Hog to me aren't too dissimilar to one another. Hop Hop is an IPA although I'm guessing it's at the low end of the style guides for hoppiness/bitterness. I don't mind it. Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is another one I enjoy.

Yeah Ive seen SN torpedo but i havent tried it yet, still trying to get into more bitter beers, ive found for me personally anything over 40-45IBUs can be abit too much (depending on the style of the beer) I was pleasently surprised how much i enjoyed the eagle bay english bitter, might have to seen how the coopers kit compares! Although dont think it will be long until i start extract brewing joyful

I also BIAB and no-chill and that's exactly how I brew it yeah' date=' no adjustments due to no-chilling. I'll have to start specifying that when I write out recipes I think, just to make it a bit easier for others if they want to have a crack. [/quote']

Could i ask... If i'm no chilling and adding hops at 0 mins, how long to i leave those hops sit before i remove them before transferring the wort to a water drum...?

Archived