Coopers Community

PB2 I hope you will answer this one please

Richardvb

I am slowly getting through reading the forum and came across one regarding do not wash your beer glasses with dish washing liquid.

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my draught not carbonating and am wondering as my son had washed all those bottles 12 months ago and He would of used dish washing liquid as did I 2 days b4 bottling then the next day rinsed them and on bottling day soaked them for around 20 mins in sanitising solution all done before reading about the washing of glasses etc.

After all that could it have stopped or slowed the carbonation as all that was used in those 375 ml bottles was 1 carbonation drop.

Thanks if you do answer Paul

Sorry, I am not PB2 but that won't stop me commenting tongue

I wouldn't think that dishwashing liquid affects the carbonation of the beer but it may have an impact on head retention. The head on a beer and the carbonation are two different things.

I wash my beer glasses with dish washing liquid but I ensure they are thoroughly rinsed with hot water straight afterwards. It hasn't affected the head on the beer that I pour.

I don't use dish washing liquid on my bottles though; just warm water. If I need to give the bottles a soak then I do so in water mixed with Sodium Percarbonate (or unscented nappy wash).

for what it is worth, I have used carbonation drops b4 and found that my beer was always a bit flat, and that was when I used to bottle all my beer. Since moving to kegs I only bottle what does not fit in the keg, so the bottles can be sitting on the shelf for months and they are fine using the drops. I think you have to leave your beer a lot longer to carbonate using the drops. Also I never wash any of my glasses or bottles in detergent as I believe it can leave a residue on the glass that can leave your beer looking flat. Your beer may very well be ok but can't retain a good head because of this residue. Hope this helps.

Archived