Coopers Community

Lager

AussieJosh

Ok now that we are in winter i thought a lot of people will be turning to make Lager style beers with Lager yeats. I will be putting on my first Coopers European Lager today. I was just reading some reviews and what people thought about it at Aussiehomebrewer.com and for the most part they said "its the best kit beer they ever tasted!" Some people also said the aroma could be stronger for a european style lager and they sugested adding a Hallerau teabag.

What do you all think about this? Id love to hear from those of you who have made it and what your thoughts and opinions are. Also if any of you made it a second time with a Hallerau teabag or anything else...

Thanks! :D

G'day Aussie',

Hops such as Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Perle or Tettnanger should go okay.

I saw your Sparkling Ale post on the AHB site. 8) 8)

Keep in mind, if you start the ferment at low temp you need to increase the pitching rate. Use the sachet supplied and another 11.5g to 15g of lager yeast.

Spying on me paul!? :wink:

I only say good things about you and Coopers! :D

I just finished sanitising my tub! am going to dash off now and make it! i dont think ill be able to lower the temp before pitching the yeast! unless i add a crap load of ice! and i dont have any extra yeast atm. yeast will be going in about 24c but the room ill be placing it in....the brew sits at about 15c/16c day and night.

ill just make it as per instruction first time around....next time ill fiddle with it! looking for somthing like Stella!

Yes, I am spying on you...look for hidden cameras next time you shop at Brewmaker :)

Actually, I like to go to other forums and see how our prouct is being received by non-advocates of the brand. Did that sound like corporate speak? :lol:

It can get frustrating when reading complete misinformation, knowing that I am not permitted to post a correction. :x

One of the latest, that comes to mind, is the idea that our kits come with Mauri 514 yeast - they don't!! Mauri are contracted to culture up and supply us with our own strain of yeast.

Starting at 24C and dropping to 15C/16C is a good method when using only 7g of lager yeast.

Just make up another name other then Paul -from coopers Brewery....Then you can just cut loose on them all and set them straight! :wink:

Or i could just do your dirty work for you! :wink:

I just got home from work and went down to look at my brew....I noticed it does not have a big foamy head on it like my other brews have had.... its got a littly fome but there is patches where i can see the beer when i look through the lid......the top of the lid does have a little consendinsation on it. I threw out the can and forgot to check the date on the bottom....im kinda sure it was fresh cause the Big W shelf had just got re stocked. i think its use by date was late 2010 0r 11. I put the yeast in at about 21c and its now sitting at about 15c/16c

My Lager has been fermenting for around 6 days now. I have read beer with lager yeats take around 2 weeks to ferment? I am just asking this cause i normaly take a reading at around day 5 or 6 for ale beers. but i dont see any point in taking a reading if the beer needs to be in the tub for another 6 days or more......

Is this correct? or should i take a reading?

• 2 years later...

Please forgive me if this should have been a new thread\u2026

I put down a Coopers European Lager about 36 hours ago and no signs of fermentation yet. Do I have a problem? My recent lagers (including one Coopers Euro) were bubbling away after 24 hours.

I pitched the yeast at 24C and the temp has dropped to about 13C \u2013 14C. I have an 11.5gm sachet of Saflager S-23 on standby. Generally speaking, can I add the Saflager yeast? Should I do so in this instance or in the future?

Regards,

Craig

Just leave it for 3 days and if the OG hasn't changed then raise the temp a couple of degrees and pitch your yeast. Let it sit for 24 hours before reducing your temps to ferment.

This is what I would do.

Hi Milney and Welcome to the forums [biggrin] .

What are the signs you get that there is no fermentation. The airlock isnt a great sign as if there is a little leak it wont work. Take a reading with your hydrometer and then another reading in a day or so. If they are differant it is working.

Also another couple of things to look for is the brew hazy, is a trub (white sediment on the bottom of the fermenter) building up.

Beatin to it [annoyed]

Thanks guys. I forgot to take a reading before I pitched the yeast (about the 3rd time I've done this in a row..) so I didn't have a reference to really know if it'd started. Didn't think of looking for the build-up at the bottom...

I take it from the replies, it's quite acceptable to add the S-23 yeast should I decide there's no activity??

AussieJosh,

I dry hopped my OS Lager kit with 1 oz of Kent Goldings hop flowers in a mesh bag for the last 4 days in the FV. I put 2 marbles I sanitised in the bag with the hops and it stayed suspended just about perfectly in the middle of the brew the whole time and was easy to fish out on bottling day. Turned out with a really nice crisp aroma that complemented the Lager taste. Just a thought for you.

Cheers [biggrin]

I just noticed the date on this thread..."June 8, 2009"....I'm an idiot[lol]

AussieJosh,

I dry hopped my OS Lager kit with 1 oz of Kent Goldings hop flowers in a mesh bag for the last 4 days in the FV. I put 2 marbles I sanitised in the bag with the hops and it stayed suspended just about perfectly in the middle of the brew the whole time and was easy to fish out on bottling day. Turned out with a really nice crisp aroma that complemented the Lager taste. Just a thought for you.

Cheers [biggrin]

I just noticed the date on this thread..."June 8, 2009"....I'm an idiot[lol]

The OS Lager is actually an Ale.

The only real Lagers in the Coopers range are the European Lager and the Thomas Coopers Pilsner, though most of the International and Thomas Coopers series have a combination of the Coopers Ale yeast and a Lager yeast in the one sachet.

Steeping hops is like making a tea. You take water just off the boil, add the hops and let it steep for 15-30 minutes. It is supposed to extract hop flavour and no bitterness. I use a saucepan for this but many people use coffee plungers too.

Dry hopping is where you add them to the fermenter in their dry form; either loose or in a hop sack or stocking. This is supposed to add a hop aroma to your beer.

I don't rack to a secondary so I dry hop in the primary after 3-4 days and leave it until I bottle.

Archived