Coopers Community

FNQ Brewing Technique

antiphile

I can certainly see how that would work and especially for BIAB would be a lot easier (although more time consuming of course) than trying to lift 10kg of soaked grain out of the urn/pot whatever after the mash. May result in a slightly better efficiency too?

Might look into doing something like that if I want to make another strong stout at some point. I don't usually make huge beers, but even if I mashed say, 5kg the first go, then did the remaining 2 or 3 kg on the second time around it would yield a higher SG and stronger beer, for less physical effort. Might have to start the brew day pretty early though. tongue

For a second I thought you were referring to the hot temperatures Phil and talking about these experiments:

Part 1

Part 2

I did listen to a podcast that Chris Colby did on reiterated mashing for big beers, was quite interesting. It's just the time factor that I don't like about it, but I guess if one could make time for a nice leisurely all day brew day it would be a nice manageable way to hit a massive O.G. I'd be hammered by halfway through the second mash though!

Archived