Coopers Community

Cooling down the fermenter?

Dr Smurto

G'day All

I have had no probs in the past keeping my temp up using a heating pad so fermentation doesn't stop but am a bit flummoxed as to how to keep the temp below 28 in my shed which is tin and a hotbox already (Adelaide). I am trying to brew lagers and the smell is a tad too much for me to keep it inside (according to the boss). Any ideas? I have heard and read about fridge conversions but am not technically minded at all. I have searched thru the forum and tried to find the grumpys article but no good. Help?!?!?!

I know i should be brewing ales in summer and lagers in winter but just moved back to Oz after a few years abroad and want lagers for all the barbies.

Cheers

DrSmurto

G'day Luke

That would work well but i dont really want to leave a fan going in the shed altho one of those little battery powered ones might just work......

Has anyone tried the insulating popup esky thing? Saw a post Jan 05 saying that Kmart sells these thing sbut noone has commented on them to date????

Cheers

DrSmurto

If you are not prepared to do the thermostat converstion on a secondhand fridge, you could use it as an insulative cabinet and run it for a short time to get the temp down then turn it off. Maybe hook it up to a timer switch to have it cycle on and off keeping the temp down. One of the fridges I have runs at 10degC if the cooling dial is adjusted to the lowest level - BONUS!!

• 1 month later...

g'day all, living in south east Qld and brewing in a small garden shed opens me up to all sorts of weird tempareture ranges ( 3 - 32 degrees over Xmas)

I've found that an old footy jersey of the heavy cotton kind placed over the fermenter and in a tray of water will drop the temp of the fermenter by about

4 degrees without a fan. At the moment this is keeping it in the upper range for fermentaion by reduces the extremes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question with a Bavarian lager with a No.1 brew enhancer I did last Tuesday. When I pitched the rehydrated yeast, the wort was @ 25C, I've been using ice bricks under it to get the temp down, now about 22C. The OG was 1.042, today its down to 1.016. Should I keep getting the temp down to the 16-18 mark? When should I bottle or is this headed for the drain as its been brewing to hot? This is my first lager, usually brew Ales & stouts.

The yeast supplied with the Bavarian should tick along quite nicely if started in the low 20's, then drawn down to 13degC once krausen is observed.

If you are planning to run ferment temperatures as low as 9degC make sure to pitch a lot more yeast (at least twice as much - I normally go for 1g per litre).

Archived