Coopers Community

First time EB brew

farangBaa

Hello sport fans

Brewing for about a year now and learning more and more everyday and stoked to have found this website.

Ok, being a Welshman lost in The Hunter i like my traditional beers. For those wise old ones that know, your usual Yorkshire, Stones, Caffreys, Guiness etc etc but most important to me is my local drop from my home of Cardiff.....Brains Beer !!

Interested to know how many have tried it.

Anyways, i have just put down

1 x EB can

1 x Light Malt extract

1 x Dex ( i need the Alc % lol )

30 g EKG steeped

30 g Fuggles dry hopped

21 litre

US 4 with Yeast from can @ 22

Will maintain at 18 degrees

CC for 10 days

Don't forget sport fans i love a bitter taste.

Drinking my Toucan stout now that i tweeked and hit 9% but still tastes sensational.

Oh yeah, last thing i am still a little confused over whether to use Dry Malt or Liquid Malt. Cheers

Cymru Am Byth

I haven't tried Brains Beer but your brew looks like a nice drop.

But how much malt and dex did you add?

And did you use US-05 or S-04 yeast? The latter is a good choice.

That's a heap of dex mate but the darker beers tend to be able to handle it better.

I assume you like your beer with a bit of kick [biggrin]

You also mentioned that you like really bitter beers. You should have a go at a hop boil in future (if you haven't already done it).

Please explain brother....

Boiling hops adds bitterness to you beer - generally speaking hops will contribute bitterness when boiled for 30-60 mins. Less than 30 mins are more for flavour than for bitterness. That is a VERY general description though.

Also, kick aside, that is a lot of dex....also big beers need a lot more time before they are drinkable (6-12months+++).

Please explain brother....

Boiling hops adds bitterness to you beer - generally speaking hops will contribute bitterness when boiled for 30-60 mins. Less

than 30 mins are more for flavour than for bitterness. That is a VERY general description though.

Also, kick aside, that is a lot of dex....also big beers need a lot more time before they are drinkable (6-12months+++).

Cheers Muddy,

Mate, i want to get over 5% so next time how much Dex to achieve that ?

I usually only brew 20lt as no idea what to do with the 4lt i have left over, as too lazy to bottle lol

Shit 6 months !! lol

Sort of experimenting with the hops so after your explanation i might drop hop them next time.

The EB kit and 1.5kg liquid malt in 21 litres will give you around 4.8% ABV.

Adding 1kg dex will then give you around 7.1% ABV.

If you had used 300g dex instead, you would get around 5.5% ABV and probably a better balanced beer.

If you had used 300g dex instead, you would get around 5.5% ABV and probably a better balanced beer.

Cheers Hairy your legend !

300gm it is.....next time lol

Hairy would it be a better beer if i substituted the Dex with BE2 ? Maybe 500gms....

Hairy would it be a better beer if i substituted the Dex with BE2 ? Maybe 500gms....

No, stick with the dex. It is there to boost alcohol and dry it a little. BE2 (with LDM & maltodextrin) won't achieve this.

So many beers to brew' date=' so little time...[lol']

But I will have to put this one also on my "to brew" list!!

If you want to jazz it up a little more than add 200g crystal malt and 50g chocolate malt [love]

So many beers to brew' date=' so little time...[lol']

But I will have to put this one also on my "to brew" list!!

If you want to jazz it up a little more than add 200g crystal malt and 50g chocolate malt [love]

So 200gm crystal malt steeped for 30minutes and then spurge ?

What about adding the choc malt ?

cheers Hairy

So 200gm crystal malt steeped for 30minutes and then spurge ?

What about adding the choc malt ?

Choc malt is a specialty grain like crystal malt. Treat them the same way. You can add them together and steep it at the same time.

Welcome Farangbaa, did you mention that you are from the hunter (Newcastle NSW) If so I think we may have already crossed paths at a local Woolworths supermarket? It may have been several weeks ago and I steered you towards big w as their prices are cheaper....

Welcome Farangbaa' date=' did you mention that you are from the hunter (Newcastle NSW) If so I think we may have already crossed paths at a local Woolworths supermarket? It may have been several weeks ago and I steered you towards big w as their prices are cheaper....[/quote']

nah not me fat yak, i actually steered someone to Big W too lol

Welcome Farangbaa' date=' did you mention that you are from the hunter (Newcastle NSW) If so I think we may have already crossed paths at a local Woolworths supermarket? It may have been several weeks ago and I steered you towards big w as their prices are cheaper....[/quote']

thanks for the welcome bro

Archived