Coopers Community

Canadian Blonde Citra Dry Hop

ReidarH

Hi.

After beeing slightly disappointed with the APA and Sparkling Ale (not enough taste imo) I want to bump up the Canadian Blonde Kit abit. I want a real fruity, hoppy refreshing summer ale and thinking of dry hopping with 30g of Citra and maybe 30g of another hop (simcoe or amarillo).

Any oppinions about this. Citra alone, combined or just drop the dry hopping :)

Anyone done anything similar?

I did a Canadian Blonde some time ago, I steeped some Carapils and Cara-amber (can't remember the qty off hand), then added 15g Galaxy @ 5 mins, 10g Galaxy @ 0 mins. Then dry hopped with another 25g Galaxy. I used US-05 for this one.

The result was pretty good too if I recall.

Sorry if this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I think a the end of the day almost anything is possible..!!![biggrin] [cool]

I would highly recommend a small boil with some malt extract. 25 grams of Citra @ 15 mins, then 50 grams @ 5 mins. Dry hop it with 25 grams of Citra and 25 grams of Amarillo.

Use US-05 yeast and it'll be an awesome and VERY fruity beer! [cool]

My most recent brew was a Canadian Blonde with 50g Citra, and 1kg wheat malt extract (they were out of LDM and I wasn't going to wait!). In my experience it was certainly fruity and hoppy, but lacked fullness of flavour that you get in the APA.

I'd follow Wal's suggestion of incorporating specialty malts, but warn against boiling Citra - nearly every opinion I have seen on its use outside dry hopping mentions 'cat piss' very prominently...

but warn against boiling Citra - nearly every opinion I have seen on its use outside dry hopping mentions 'cat piss' very prominently...

Oh no

One of my top 5 brews to date is not an LCPA clone but a GPPA.

I have experienced the cats piss aroma before.

I made a Simcoe, Galaxy and Citra hopped extract pale ale and it had a very strong cats piss aroma (I still drank it though [biggrin] ).

I always credited the Simcoe for this and put it away in the 'Do Not Use' section of the freezer. I also didn't use the Citra but that was due to circumstance rather than choice.

I recently recalled Simcoe off the bench and back into the starting line up and ended up with a ripper of an APA.

I then brewed a beer with Citra and this has a very subtle cats piss aroma, nothing like the first beer though.

It may be that some people are more sensitive to this than others. I am quite a sensitive guy [innocent]

I have experienced the cats piss aroma before.

I made a Simcoe, Galaxy and Citra hopped extract pale ale and it had a very strong cats piss aroma (I still drank it though [biggrin] ).

I always credited the Simcoe for this and put it away in the 'Do Not Use' section of the freezer. I also didn't use the Citra but that was due to circumstance rather than choice.

I recently recalled Simcoe off the bench and back into the starting line up and ended up with a ripper of an APA.

I then brewed a beer with Citra and this has a very subtle cats piss aroma, nothing like the first beer though.

It may be that some people are more sensitive to this than others. I am quite a sensitive guy [innocent]

Must be the Citra then, the Hop Bazooka I mention has some Citra in it, and I tried Southern Ocean Ale from the same brewery last night. I am certain it has Citra in it as well but not the balance that the IPA has. I was not a fan and was reminded of your post and cat piss.

Maybe the pissy taste comes out more with longer boils aiming to extract bitterness? Or maybe just a dry hop is good enough?

Thanks for all the feedback. I have decided on the following recipe.

1.7 Coopers Canadian Blonde

1kg DME

200g Crystal Malt

WYEAST 1272 - American Ale II

30g Citra + 30g Cascade/Chinook dry hop

Will let you know how it turns out :)

Archived