Coopers Community

Next brew, leftovers?

TobiasA

So, I had plans on doing something with Australian Pale Ale and Wheat extract, but summer is coming and I don't know if I can brew anything then due to the heat. So for next brew I was thinking of things I already have at home.

Can of Coopers IPA

1,5-2kg Malt extract

US-05 Yeast

Amarillo 15g@15min

Amarillo 30g@5min

Amarillo/Cascade 30g@flameout

And then maybe some dryhop.

Will this work at all? Will I need some more bitterness with that amount of extract?

I'm still new at making recipes so any help will be appreciated :)

Thanks for all the help and comments :)

Hi Tobias. Looks nice. [happy]

Will the malt extract be liquid or dry?

It's dry malt extract.

If it was me, I would throw some dex in there too. Between 300 and 500g.

May as well make it a big one.

Can do, think I have somewhere around 200g dex left. And some BE1 if that helps anything. Not sure right now (at work) but I should have 3kg of dry malt extract...

How about moving some of those hops earlier like maybe 30 mins along with the 2kg of malt and making it to 23L?

Can do, the problem with that is that my boiling pot is 5 liter only so I usually (have only done it 3 times) stick with 3liter of water.

How warm does it get in Sweden in the summer? That is actually a serious question' date=' I'm curious. [biggrin']

Checked the wiki page, and it says average temperature about 25 degrees, but in the sun on a good day, up to 35 is not uncommon, sometimes even more...

Thanks for all the help and comments :)

It's dry malt extract.

Firstly, you're very welcome mate. [biggrin]

Secondly, if it's dry malt extract (DME) then that's a fair bit, and some extra bitterness and Hairy's suggestion of some simple sugars would help with evening out the residual sweetness.

So basically, I'm being unhelpful as always and pointing out the good points others have made. [lol]

So basically' date=' I'm being unhelpful as always and pointing out the good points others have made[/quote']

Phil, you are here to give us encouragement. You are doing a good job [rightful]

1.5kg Dry Malt is fine if you throw some dex at it too and some hop bitterness. I find too much malt extract just leaves too much residual sweetness, even with the extra biternness to counter it. It all comes down to personal taste though.

The temps in the Swedish summer sound perfect; just don't leave the FV outside in the sun [wink]

Alright, so how about...

Can of Coopers IPA

2kg Dry Malt extract

200g Dex

US-05 Yeast

Chinook 15g@30min

Amarillo 15g@15min

Amarillo 30g@5min

Amarillo/Cascade 30g@flameout

Maybe use the Chinook at 30m? Looks like I will get more bitterness? (or did I misunderstand everything? :) ) Also, will most likely only be able to do a 3-3,5liter boil, maybe do 2 boils?

If I was brewing it I would drop the DME a little and up the dex a little but brew it and see how it goes. You will work out what you like.

It doesn't look bad though.

I would just do the one boil of 3-3.5 litres. You will get most of your bitterness from the IPA kit so it doesn't matter if you don't gt full extraction from the boil.

Phil' date=' you are here to give us encouragement. You are doing a good job [/quote']

What has it got in its pocketsses? [biggrin]

That was dead set cheating!

Now I like hobbits, they live just south of Sydney in the Shire, but there is no way that that question was a proper riddle.

I totally understand Gollum's unswerving desire to get it back. I hate getting ripped off.

And Hobbits like beer [wink]

• 2 weeks later...

So final recipe went down today :)

Can of Coopers IPA

2kg Dry Malt extract (1kg light/1kg medium, to make it a little more fun)

200g Dex

US-05 Yeast + Kit yeast (hope I didn't overdo it)

Chinook 20g@30min

Amarillo 15g@15min

Amarillo 30g@5min

Amarillo 30g@flameout (25 min)

Will dry hop with what's left of the Amarillo from my 100g pack in a few days... OG started at 1.060.

Now I like hobbits, they live just south of Sydney in the Shire, but there is no way that that question was a proper riddle.

I totally understand Gollum's unswerving desire to get it back. I hate getting ripped off.

And Hobbits like beer [wink]

And being a hobbit I can get away with having hairy, dirty hobbit feet. [lol]

ED: And dancing on tables in pubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Racked this to secondary today, was a bit worried but I tasted it and it tasted fine :) Guess the yeast isn't done cleaning up, so another week in secondary should be good :) SG was down to 1.010 from 1.060

2013-05-12164307_zpse0fb31ea.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Tried this again after 3 weeks in bottle. First try was after like 1,5 and wasn't really impressive. But now it starts to taste better :)

Used a lot of Amarillo in it, but it's not really hoppy, could it be the IPA kid masking it? Got a Pale Ale planned for later with Amarillo too, hopefully that'll be a bit more hoppy :)

Archived