Coopers Community

Twin Sisters Pale Ale

Scottie

Edit: Well in the end I just had to say it my Best Brew ever - End Edit:

That's how I sum up my Twin Sisters Pale Ale.

This beer shows off this fabulous hop and I would say, in my uneducated humble opinion that this hoppy Pale Ale is approaching IPA territory.

It's a full extract brew (or whatever you call it), only the third I have tapped and I continue to be sold on the idea.

Recipe

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt

1kg of Light Dry Malt form LHBS

150g of Victory Malt

100g of Pale Malt

six litre boil

Ella (15.7 % AA) 25g @ 40 mins

Ella 15g @ 10 mins

Ella 10g @ 5 mins

Sylvia (6.5% AA) 25g @ 5 mins

100ml rinsed 1056 yeast pitched at 20'C

SG = 1.043 down to 1.009

To quote another forum member it has the skunk of an IPA, but in my words a slightly longer boil and the bitterness would also be a match

This is now coming into it own. The reason it has taken a couple of days is that I stuffed up when tapping it, forgot that the beer out keg post was missing an O'Ring. As a result this stirred up the sediment, just like shaking a bottle. However because this a a 19litre bottle it took a couple of days to settle back out.

Hey Adam

If this is the case then it will have to become my favourite hop, on account that this is also my daughter's name. My next beer with this hop will be Ella Enchanted [biggrin], it will have to be stronger than my normal beers though --- to deliver the enchanted effect [lol] .

On another note how ordinary of the dudes at Stella. I for one can think of a much more famous brewery and hop that share the same name [innocent] and no law suits. State allegiance goes a long way.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in this Stella/Ella hop

The brew i have going at the moment is a Galaxy/Cascade pale ale.

How would you guys that have used Stella/Ella describe it as compared to a Galaxy in flavour & aroma? Is it something you would mix with Galaxy or are they too similar. What other local (ANZ) hops would go with Stella/Ella?

How would you guys that have used Stella/Ella describe it as compared to a Galaxy in flavour & aroma? Is it something you would mix with Galaxy or are they too similar. What other local (ANZ) hops would go with Stella/Ella?

I had an amazing beer last night, never seen it around before.

Hop Bazooka

Citra, Galaxy, Stella (now called Ella?.

So much flavour, bit of lime on the nose, but not a sharp bitterness, very rounded and balanced.

Hey Dave

These two hops are not similar at all in aroma or taste. But both pack a punch if overdone. I purchased a Stella IPA from the 7 sheds brewery and it was that bitter it was undrinkable. I like the look of that Bazooka IPA so I imagine that Galxay and Stella added to a short boil would go OK and I might even try it now that you've given me the idea.

Thanks Scottie

In much the same way as the food movement went "eat local and eat what is in season" - I want do do the same with my beer.

I'm going to use Pride of Ringwood, Galaxy, NZ Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Ella etc etc.

I don't want to be a total boor - but I believe we can come up with a local style and get a BJCP category of our own - Australian Pale Ale or ANZ PA.

Come on Aussies - get brewing - like always, are we gonna punch above our weight, or what?

I don't want to be a total boor - but I believe we can come up with a local style and get a BJCP category of our own - Australian Pale Ale or ANZ PA.

Come on Aussies -

Hey Dave

You Aussies already have your own style, I'm looking to brew a Tasmanian IPA or Tasmanian Blonde[lol]. Unlike the original the Tassie Blonde will be a hoppy brew with signature hops like Helga, Sylvia & Ella.

• 2 weeks later...
What other local (ANZ) hops would go with Stella/Ella?

Hey Dave

You have inspired me and yesterday I put down an ANZ inspired brew

(brewed with an American yeast [bandit] ).

Ella Motueka IPA

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

250g Carahell (damn hard to crack with rolling pin)

Six litre boil

30g Ella @ 40 mins

15g Ella @ 10 mins

15g Ella @ 5 mins

20g Moteuka @ 5mins

20g Moteuka in a hop sock next Saturday

a couple of jars of 1332 rinsed from the trub straight into the wort (no yeast available, no time to spare and too many empty kegs)[/i].

I will post again once this has been fermented, rested, kegged, chilled, tapped and sampled.

Happy Brewing [biggrin]

Archived