1kg Briess Pilsen Light Dry Malt

200g Light Crystal

100g Carapils

15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 30 min

10g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 20 min

10g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 10 min

10g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 1 min

S-33 Yeast

Temperature Controlled @ 16C (finally got a temp control and fridge setup! ) [love]

Any thoughts? What beer style would this be?

How long extra should I keep it in the FV ?

S-33 is an ale yeast so technically it will be an ale. I think it looks like a pretty nice recipe, nice way to pimp that kit which seems to get a bad wrap a lot of the time. You'll love the temp controlled fridge setup though, should see an improvement in your beers. Are you going to cold crash it? I'm still waiting to taste my first one I brewed in my fridge but I can't wait to see how it turned out. [happy]

You'll love the temp controlled fridge setup though' date=' should see an improvement in your beers. Are you going to cold crash it? [/quote']

Nice, does that mean the temp control will improve head retention as well as flavours ? Cold Crashing, I might have heard of this, is that where you drop the temperature to put it in suspension before bottling? Should this occur after primary fermentation has finished aka Stable FG Reading ?

Did you mean S-33 or S-23 (lager yeast)?

It looks like a good lager recipe. I guess the S-33 at 16 degrees should be a clean ferment.

The only real problem I see is that you are using the OS Lager kit [biggrin]

S-33 Ale Yeast.

I guess what I really meant was, would this be like a Belgian Blonde style ? It's confusing as I'm using Lager OS with Ale yeast and other perhaps unrelated grains with Bavarian Hops. It's a mutt! [lol]

Nice, does that mean the temp control will improve head retention as well as flavours?

I don't know if it will make much difference to head retention. That's more in the ingredients used and also time conditioning in the bottle. However, there should be an improvement in flavours. Yeast works best at stable temps and with temp control you achieve that - plus appropriate ferment temps as well. Appropriate ferment temp means no off flavours, and keeping it stable keeps the yeasties happy. [biggrin]

Re Cold crashing, you do this to get the yeast out of suspension.

just another question Hairy - cold crashing obviously doesnt remove all yeast from suspension does it? there must be a little left for secondary ferment but does the cold crash get rid of the vast majority of it?

Re Cold crashing, you do this to get the yeast out of suspension.

just another question Hairy - cold crashing obviously doesnt remove all yeast from suspension does it? there must be a little left for secondary ferment but does the cold crash get rid of the vast majority of it?

I could have worded that better. It won't drop all the yeast out of suspension and there will be plenty of yeast left to carbonate the beer.

You will need to filter it to remove the yeast.

It also depends on the yeast. Some flocculate better than others.

Nice, does that mean the temp control will improve head retention as well as flavours?

I don't know if it will make much difference to head retention. That's more in the ingredients used and also time conditioning in the bottle. However, there should be an improvement in flavours. Yeast works best at stable temps and with temp control you achieve that - plus appropriate ferment temps as well. Appropriate ferment temp means no off flavours, and keeping it stable keeps the yeasties happy. [biggrin]

Fair enough, I'll have to starting building up a stock pile to get at least 3 months before drinking. Sounds like a difficult task for every brewer. [lol]

My objective is to try to get such a good head, that when you take a sip out of a glass, it leaves a nice ring around the glass. Also for the head to last much longer similar to a pub. Anyone have any thoughts there ?

Archived