Coopers Community

Can we brew better than the White House?

LordEoin

I've been asked to brew another couple of batches of beer for a charity event (in aid of Marymount Hospice) held in 3 months time.

That (in my opinion) is perfect time to brew, bottle and condition these beers.

I will be brewing it to as high a standard as I would for personal consumption.

This will be slightly similar to BeerLusts's OG Lager challenge, except:

- It will be brewed in 2 weeks time.

- It is not a competition, it will be a community effort

- and more...

I will brew 40 pints of White House Honey Ale to the recipe (linked below).

I will also brew 40 pints of a finally agreed Cooper's kit recipe to improve upon the White House Honey Ale recipe.

I will personally brew both beers.

Judging will be by impartial participants of the charity event, similar to a 'coke vs pepsi' challenge that were so popular in the past.

Also... I WILL PERSONALLY CONTACT THE WHITE HOUSE TO SEE IF THEY WILL ACCEPT A 6-PACK AND RETURN A VERDICT COMPARED TO THEIR OWN HOMEBREWED WHITEHOUSE HONEY ALE.

Here is the recipe for White House Honey Ale

wh_beer_recipe_honey_ale_2.jpg

A Whitehouse honey can get you in trouble; just ask Bill Clinton [biggrin]

I don't really have much to offer with honey beer so I will be sitting this one out. I am interested in the verdict though.

Monicahoney???hmmm

Shush children! Be nice.

I'm actually serious.

I have contacted the White House and requested honey and permission to send them our finished beer.

Here is the message I sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm a homebrewer and a member of the National Homebrew Club (Ireland) and Coopers' Brewing Guild (Australia).

Since the White House has begun brewing its own Honey Ale, it is a unique recipe that has continually spurred conversation, however few have tried to brew it.

I have recently been asked to brew a complimentary beer for a charity event for Marymount Hospice, Cork, Ireland, and the White House Honey Ale has been chosen as our recipe.

We have also agreed to try to formulate an improved recipe, and hold a blind taste test on the night.

I realise that my contact is bold, however I would like to request two things if possible.

The first is to request 1 lb of 'White House Honey'. While other honeys may suffice we want to try to kep the White House recipe as close to the original as possible.

The second request is that you allow me to send you a six-pack of our version of your recipe, and for you to simply reply with any comments (good or bad).

I appreciate the time you have taken to read this message and look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Yours faithfully,

Eoin *removed*.

I'm looking forward to seeing any suggestions, and hope that we can ceate an improved recipe true to the original.

northernbrewer.com sell the exact kit to make the White House Ale, I emailed them just before I brewed mine and was told it is just a blended honey. Below is the description of the beer from their website. I bottled mine nearly 2 weeks ago, will let you know about the 1st tasting.

Ale to the Chief! This original recipe, first customized and brewed by the White House kitchen staff, is now available by popular demand as a Northern Brewer kit. Built on a big foundation of malt with strong tones of biscuit and toffee, the Honey Ale plays up the fruity, caramel aspects of English malt and yeast. But much like the Founding Fathers would have spiced up traditional style ales with homegrown ingredients, a late addition of pure honey adds a revolutionary twist. Declare your independence from mediocre beers with this historic White House Homebrew!

I believe it is against the law to post alcohol in the USA...

Then again, it is illegal to transport alcohol across state lines. So Obama was breaking the law with his batch of homebrew in the campaign bus.

However, in the words of Richard "Tricky Dicky" Nixon, "It's not illegal if the president does it..."

I believe it is against the law to post alcohol in the USA...

Then again, it is illegal to transport alcohol across state lines. So Obama was breaking the law with his batch of homebrew in the campaign bus.

However, in the words of Richard "Tricky Dicky" Nixon, "It's not illegal if the president does it..."

Illegal? Perhaps it may have been more appropriate if he was transporting (im)peach Schnapps [innocent]

Sorry, still tired from the weekend. I would promise to do better but this is the standard of all my posts.

Lord, make sure you keep us up to date with any responses. It is quite interesting.

well, no reply from the whitehouse nor suggestions on how to improve their recipe (apart from 'dont boil the honey)...

I have some time before I need to start brewing, so lets see how it goes.

Here's a starting point (almost a direct translation with some small tweaks)

1.5kg light LME

500g LDME

350g amber crystal malt grain

250g biscuit malt grain

450g honey

45g EKG pellet

45g Fuggles pellet

1 package Danstar Nottingham

100g priming sugar

Steep grain in 6L water at 68C for 30minutes

EKG - 45 min boil

Fuggles - 6 min boil

Honey - 5 min boil

Topped to 19L, no need to strain hop matter out.

Pitch at 23C

Ferment at 21C for 7 days

Rack to secondary for 14 days.

Bulk Prime with 100ml corn sugar in 2L boiling water.

Bottle

My first suggestion:

1 Coopers' APA kit

500g LDME

350g crystal grain(60)

250g biscuit grain

450g honey

45g EKG pellet (45 min)

45g Fuggles pellet (10 min)

30g Bramling Cross (dry)

1 pack US05

120g dex (priming)

Steep grain in 3L water at 65C for 30minutes.

Bring to the boil

EKG - 45 min boil

Fuggles - 10min boil

Let it sit for 20 mins to let heavy matter fall.

Strain to FV, Add honey and DME, mix vigorously.

Topped to 19L.

Aim to pitch at 23C

Ferment at 18-20C for 7 days.

Rack to secondary, dry hop bramling cross, leave for 7 days.

Bulk Prime with 120g dex

Bottle

I have done this recipe and tried it toady after 2 weeks in the bottle. Nice malty base with a touch of honey sweetness, still a bit young the honey just needs to settle down a bit more. Below is the converted(to metric) recipe from the original I used, not to far away from lordeoin's.

3Kg light LME

500g LDME

340g amber crystal malt grain

230g biscuit malt grain

450g honey(blended, dont use a stong honey or a clover)

42g EKG pellet

42g Fuggles pellet

1 package Danstar Nottingham(Re-Hydrate)

2 tsp Gypsum

100g priming sugar

Steep grain in 5.7L water at 68C for 30minutes

EKG and Gypsum - 45 min boil

Honey - 5 min boil

Fuggles - Last min boil

Topped to 19L, no need to strain hop matter out.

Pitch at 23C

Ferment at 21C for 7 days

Didn't Rack to secondary for 14 days.

Archived