Coopers Community

First Hops Addition

Hi All,

I'm excited, finally decided to add some hop additions to my brew's'. I have a plan that goes a little something like this.

Brew 1.

1.7 Coopers APA

375g Dex

375g LDME

250g Dried Corn Syrup

2 litre boil

15g Nelson Savin@20min

15g Cascade @Flame out

23 Litres

Kit Yeast

Pitched at 24 degrees ( 20 deg !)

Might Dry hop with some cascade at about day 3-4 not sure about the qty as yet.

Brew 2.

PB2's Old Spicey Dark Ale as per recipe with 20g Fuggles steeped.

If anyone can see any fundamental flaws in this please give me a shout.

Thanks.

Sooo happy with the progress on these 2 Brews, B1 is ticking away nicely at a controlled 18-20deg thanks to the spare fridge with some frozen blocks. B2 in the shed with wet towells & packed with frozen milk bottles still managing to maintain 22deg, even at 34deg ambiant temp.. can't wait to dry hop and bottle these baby's.[biggrin]

Sooo happy with the progress on these 2 Brews' date=' B1 is ticking away nicely at a controlled 18-20deg thanks to the spare fridge with some frozen blocks. B2 in the shed with wet towells & packed with frozen milk bottles still managing to maintain 22deg, even at 34deg ambiant temp.. can't wait to dry hop and bottle these baby's.[biggrin']

good onya...its hot here today but i got mine in tub with bottles of ice...sitting on 18c im pretty pleased with myself also, cheers Ned[biggrin]

Sounds awesome mate!!!! [biggrin] Very similar to the brew I put down last night. Looking forward to hearing how yours goes dude. Will keep you informed about how mine goes. Im using cascade hops and then using centennial as dry hop. how much difference does the corn syrup make man? cheers- dave

Hey Dave,

I allways just used Dextrose & maybe LDME until a mate put me onto Dried corn Syrup (maltodextrin) it actually makes up part of the Coopers brew enhancer 2. (The percentages are listed in another thread). I find that it contributes to a better head and a lovely feel in the mouth after a nice swill of golden nectar.I'll let you know how it tastes Dave, must say the test i drew yesterday before I dry hopped made me[biggrin][biggrin] [happy] [love] Good luck with yours mate.!

Sooo happy with the progress on these 2 Brews' date=' B1 is ticking away nicely at a controlled 18-20deg thanks to the spare fridge with some frozen blocks. B2 in the shed with wet towells & packed with frozen milk bottles still managing to maintain 22deg, even at 34deg ambiant temp.. can't wait to dry hop and bottle these baby's.[biggrin']

good onya...its hot here today but i got mine in tub with bottles of ice...sitting on 18c im pretty pleased with myself also, cheers Ned[biggrin]

Hey Ned,

It's a struggle in the heat..Home Brewers are resourcefull people. (McGyver!)hang in there mate 18c is goood.

Cheers Adam N

I used maltodextrin (dried corn syrup) once and didn't really notice any difference at all. Maybe I didn't use enough of it. [lol] I don't know. Time in the bottles works well for a better head as well, but next time I go to buy grains (very soon) I'm gonna grab some carapils. It basically does the same thing as maltodextrin I think. [unsure]

Hey Dave,

I allways just used Dextrose & maybe LDME until a mate put me onto Dried corn Syrup (maltodextrin) it actually makes up part of the Coopers brew enhancer 2. (The percentages are listed in another thread). I find that it contributes to a better head and a lovely feel in the mouth after a nice swill of golden nectar.I'll let you know how it tastes Dave, must say the test i drew yesterday before I dry hopped made me[biggrin][biggrin] [happy] [love] Good luck with yours mate.!

Hey mate!!!! Thanks heaps for the feedback, sounds awesome. I reckon Im gonna have to give the Dried Corn Syrup a crack. Awesome bout the test before dry hopping dude!!! [biggrin] Im sure the end result will be kick ass!!!!! Let us know the end result, really keen to find out how it goes man. Cheers- Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Dave,

Hey mate!!!! Thanks heaps for the feedback, sounds awesome. I reckon Im gonna have to give the Dried Corn Syrup a crack. Awesome bout the test before dry hopping dude!!! [biggrin] Im sure the end result will be kick ass!!!!! Let us know the end result, really keen to find out how it goes man. Cheers- Dave

Hey Dave & All....

After a bit over a month in the bottle, I'd just like to say that this beer is fantastic..[biggrin] I had a mate over for a tasting and it blew both him and his wife away..A lovely bright beer with glorious fruity flavours and aromas with great head retention..definitely a keeper.[love] [biggrin]

Archived