Coopers Community

Dark Bitter Lager

LordEoin

It's a month in the bottle, and tasting fantastic.

I was a bit worried about this one when i tasted it after 2 weeks, but it turned out to be a great tasting fresh stouty hopped dark lager. Great drop!

1 can Coopers Pilsner

500g dark DME

300g carapils

300g chocolate grain

35g EKG

30g Fuggles

Saflager S23 yeast

Steep carapils and chocolate grain in about 2L water @ 65-70C for 30 mins.

Strain, bring to the boil.

35g EKG - 60 minutes

15g Fuggles - 15 minutes

15g Fuggles - 5 minutes

Prime at 8g/L and bottle.

Allow at least a month in the bottle, how ever much longer is up to you.

• 2 months later...

odd thing is... this resipe got 0 comments on another forum also, but it's one of my favorites so far and received great reviews in a brewer's meet.

ah well...

main point being, after aging and lots of people tasting it stands up as a great beer.

(although incredibly difficult to find a BJCP category for it)

Well Lord if its good enough for you...it will be good enough for me[biggrin] .This will be my first go at steeping grains and I get to use the carapils I bought a week or two ago plus I can use up my dark dry malt that I was sold under false pretences(?)[pouty] . Will have a go tomorrow.[joyful]

P.S. I was Andy Ale but I got logged out and couldn't remember my password and I clicked the forgot password link but never received a password reset email[crying] [crying] I thought I may have been siberia'd but all good[lol]

Alright the grains have been steeped but I was wondering how bad it is for the process if the temp climbed about 5c for about 4-5mins. Have to say the smell was pretty damn good. I have just got back into cooking professionally after a seven year break and I am loving my cooking again, couple that with brewing and my senses are going into overdrive[biggrin] [biggrin]

Alright the grains have been steeped but I was wondering how bad it is for the process if the temp climbed about 5c for about 4-5mins. Have to say the smell was pretty damn good. I have just got back into cooking professionally after a seven year break and I am loving my cooking again' date=' couple that with brewing and my senses are going into overdrive[biggrin'] [biggrin]

What temperature are you talking about?

Whatever it is, for that short period of time I doubt it is a problem though.

What temperature are you talking about?

Whatever it is, for that short period of time I doubt it is a problem though.

It is for this recipe Hairy so the temp range is between 65-70c but it sounds like no damage done. Also I thought I had Saflager 22 but I have Sabrew S-33 from what google showed me it shouldn't make too much different[roll] . It would seem that I am already starting to mess with recipes [cool]

There's no 'poor me' about it, sharing a genuinely great tasting recipe [biggrin]

hairy. Yeah, fuggles aren't a 'go-to' for lager but neither is chocolate grain, EKG or dark DME.

I was quite drunk, drinking Guinness black lager(which it is far superior to), and poking at my supply cupboard when I came up with this recipe.

Don't get me started on BJCP categories, Chad.

I entered a few beers into a competition recently and this one wrecked my head trying to figure out a category...

I think i made a cockup of the lables though, so I'll probably be disqualified before any bottles are even opened.

Andrew, don't worry about the temperature too much. You only need to steep those grains, so you could have done them at any lowish temperature really.

I just like to steep at that temp.

Hey LordEoin sorry to ask what might be such a silly question. I know you say it was about 2 litres your starting volume for all of this. Was there any other water added to the wort before a 60 min boil. I would have asumed after a 60 min boil there would be no wort left. This question is genuine so i can get a rough idea of volumes myself for when i get into hop boils etc.

Alot of interesting reading here its addictive [cool]

Using a lid for a hop boil isn't ideal as you will trap DMS in the wort. Evaporation from boiling is what removes it. Just boil a bigger volume to counter it - you won't lose any malt from it. This Page from How to Brew explains a bit about it, it does say it's common and part of the character in light lagers but nothing about dark lagers [unsure]

I'm not sure about chilling the wort quickly after the boil though, I've never noticed any weird flavours from it by letting it cool naturally in the cube.

Using a lid for a hop boil isn't ideal as you will trap DMS in the wort. Evaporation from boiling is what removes it. Just boil a bigger volume to counter it - you won't lose any malt from it. This Page from How to Brew explains a bit about it' date=' it does say it's common and part of the character in light lagers but nothing about dark lagers [unsure']

I'm not sure about chilling the wort quickly after the boil though, I've never noticed any weird flavours from it by letting it cool naturally in the cube.

You won't have an issue with DMS in this situation. The wort is made from a few hundred grams of specialty malt.

Arthur, if you are doing a long boil (like 60 minutes) you can add another 2-3 litres to the put with 200-300g dry malt. You won't have to worry so much about the boil off then.

You can add more water if you like. The ratio of dry malt to water for the boil is 100g per litre.

Archived