Coopers Community

James Squire IPA extract clone?

Hey Wayne

I haven't made an English IPA yet (only American ones), but I've got a heap of Fuggles and East Kent Goldings in the freezer, so I'll do one very soon.

I don't know if you count using a kit as a base as an extract recipe, but I think using the Coopers Real Ale is a no brainer. You get a lot of bitterness, essentially for free that way.

Here's a suggestion to get the ball rolling:

22L, with English yeast like Nottingham

1.70kg Real ale

1.50kg light LME

0.25kg light DME

0.25kg carapils (for head retention)

0.25kg caramunich II (for colour)

5L boil

10-15g of some bittering hop for 60 mins

30g Fuggles for 20 mins

10g each of Fuggles and Styrian Goldings for 5 mins

Inspiration taken from:

here,and here

Hi Wayno.

Here's one the well known "drsmurto" posted a few years ago. . .

This is the kit version of my Imperial IPA. If you want to tone it down to an IPA leave out 1 of the coopers lager tins (or drop the LDME and the 20 min hop additions)

IIPA

2 x tins Coopers Lager

1.5kg LDME

Hops

20 min - 15g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings

10 min - 15g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings

0 min - 25g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings

Dry hop - 20g each of EKG and Styrian Goldings

Yeast - US05 or S-04 or nottingham (for the liquid yeast users stick with TL recommendation of Wyeast 1028 - london ale)

Top up to 20L for OG 1.078, IBU ~ 70, ABV ~7.5% (these numbers are my best guess as its hard to work out utilisation with such a small boil volume and so many hops - the bigger the boil the more accurate the guesstimate you can make using beersmith).

Just another option for you.

Beer.

If you're trying to clone JS IPA, then I'd probably drop one of the lager tins from drsmurto's recipe. It's only a 5.6%ABV beer, that recipe would more than likely come out over 7%. Not saying it'd be a bad drop, but you know... trying to keep in the style of JS. I have tried the JS IPA although it was a while ago; I didn't mind it, but still probably prefer the amber ale or porter. Anyway, good luck mate, you'll have to keep us updated how they turn out! [biggrin]

Archived