Coopers Community

Trying a different style of pale ale - comments, suggestions, concerns?

RoaldV

Ok, so I finally made it down to a brewing store the other day (my work moved offices and there is one conveniently close now) and picked up some wheat dry malt, and some Safale s-04 yeast.

My plans is to brew:

- Coopers Pale Ale kit (yeast replaced with s-04 yeast)

- 500g LDM

- 500g dry wheat malt

- 250g dextrose

- 15g cascade steeped @ 10 mins

- 15g amarillo steeped @ 10 mins

- rind of 1 orange boiled for 10 mins

Does this sound like it might work? If not, why not?

All comments and input appreciated.

Thanks

Roald

Hiya RoaldV.

looks fine mate, the wheat will improve head retention in beer but also add a 'wheaty' component to the taste.

Its worth mentioning that Wheat malt (dry and liquid) usually has a decent percentage of malted barley.

+1

Looks good' date=' but I would leave out the orange zest as the hops you have chosen will give it a citrus taste on there own. If you want the citrus flavor higher just up the hops to 20-25gms each. Its a lot easier.[/quote']

+1

A nice recipe without too much fuss.

Beer.

Thanks Leonard.

Another question, I've been toying with making this a medium to light beer. If I remove the dextrose, would it still work? And if I am aiming to get this within the 3%-3.5% range, is the malt too much? Could I cut down on it without compromising the taste and feel?

Fair enough Bill [biggrin]

But, my question is, does anyone know how much % I'd be looking at by removing the dex? Would it be 4% after priming? Because I'm aiming for around 3.5% or lower. So, my question is, is it possible to get down to 3.5% without sacrificing too much flavour? And do I need to remove some LDM to achieve it?

250g dex in 23 litres will give you around 4 gravity points or around 0.7% ABV.

The kit and 500g LDM to 23 litres should give you roughly 3.5% ABV.

If you do that then you should whack 200-300g light crystal in it too to give it some body.

Archived