Coopers Community

English Bitter

EvanS1

I have an English Bitter kit to try out. Not done one before and been away from brewing for a couple of years starting a business.

I have a bag of cascade pellets, what would you recommend i do with them? I like hops but concious of not making it and more bitter if it's quite bitter already.

Had some success with dry hopping in the past so will do that not sure about amounts for pellets? Also is it worth steeping some also?

Cheers...

Muddy has had success adding American hops to the English Bitter (I bet he likes 20/20 cricket too).

Perhaps he can help.

If you want to keep it simple then steep 20g Cascade and Dry Hop 20g Cascade.

But my preference would be to give 20g a 10-15 minute boil and also dry hop.

Cheers Hairy.

What would the difference between boiling and steepiing in this instance and why would you prefer the boil?

I live in england and there are few real ales now using american hops for a bit more zing, particularly in the westcountry.

St Austells Proper Job is one of the better ones IMO using Willamette, Cascade & Chinook and is the sort of thing i'm aiming for. It's quite fruity and malty and not terribly bitter...

http://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/beers/cask-beers.html

P.S. SA 56/4 before lunch on the first day of the Lords test ;-)

I have an English Bitter kit to try out. Not done one before and been away from brewing for a couple of years starting a business.

I have a bag of cascade pellets, what would you recommend i do with them? I like hops but concious of not making it and more bitter if it's quite bitter already.

Had some success with dry hopping in the past so will do that not sure about amounts for pellets? Also is it worth steeping some also?

Cheers...

If you want aroma, Dry Hop or a very short boil, of 5 minutes or less. If you Want Flavour, around 10 minutes is good, for Bitterness, anything over 20, depending on how much bitterness you want to extract.

I'm not aware of any reason to steep hops.

I was advised by a wise brewer (BillK) to use this chart as a guide only. After dropping some Nelson Sauvin in the boil for 12 minutes I have to concur, definitely added bitterness to the brew. So much so that it was a good 5 months before it settled, in fact after 8 months I still have ample amount of this brew but it is getting more subtle with age. I have also used Amarillo at 15 mins with similar results. Looking at my notes, if you use hopped extract, be wary of the kit you are using and adjust the boil times to suit. In an APA kit Citra 20g @ 7 mins and Amarillo 25g @ 5 mins is [love]. As are Cascade 15 @ 12 mins & 10 @ 7 mins.

Cheers guys, Thanks for all that.

Here is what i have done, for good or ill...

I had two kits, the Coopers English and a Better Brew Northern Brown. For simplicity and arguably out of ignorance i decided to treat/ruin them both in the same way.

500g Dex

500g LDM

20g Cascade 10min

5g Cascade 0min (steeped)

25g Cascade 0min (dry)

I have them in my office at the moment which is sitting at 23C bubbling away behind me and the room has a pleasant Cascasdy aroma.

I am hoping to have my socks blown orf... I'll let you know how they go, the northern brown says it needs 2 weeks in the FV, not sure i can wait that long...

Cheers guys, Thanks for all that.

Here is what i have done, for good or ill...

I had two kits, the Coopers English and a Better Brew Northern Brown. For simplicity and arguably out of ignorance i decided to treat/ruin them both in the same way.

500g Dex

500g LDM

20g Cascade 10min

5g Cascade 0min (steeped)

25g Cascade 0min (dry)

I have them in my office at the moment which is sitting at 23C bubbling away behind me and the room has a pleasant Cascasdy aroma.

I am hoping to have my socks blown orf... I'll let you know how they go, the northern brown says it needs 2 weeks in the FV, not sure i can wait that long...

The 5 grams steeped won't do anything, it's too small an amount to be noticed in that much beer. I'd also get that temperature down below 20 ASAP. 18 is perfect, but if you can't maintain that 20 is fine too. 23 is a couple of degrees too warm though, your yeast might produce some off flavours at that temperature. Other than that it looks good.

I had 100g bag of Cascade and 10 left ofer after i measured the rest up so threw it in at the end of the boil rather than keeping it.

Regarding the temp, it's summer over here (of a sort) so don't have too much temp control but i'm after fruity esters so will keep the temp higher.

A bit of topic but' date=' anyone got advice on how I can make English Bitter in the bottle as close to cask ale as possible? I had an awesome hand pumped beer at Murry's last night.[/quote']

There's two ways I use to get a bottled beer to take on the texture of a cask beer. The first and most effective is as follows; pour the beer from the bottle fairly gently into a jug then pour the beer from the jug into a glass (not an etched bottomed lager glass) from a height. The beer will naturally froth up in the glass so you'll only get part of it in the glass to star with. This degasses the beer slightly. Wait for the foam to die down then add more beer to the glass using the same method. It takes a few minutes to pour the beer this way but trust me it's worth waiting for if you want an authentic tasting cask ale.

The second and simpler method is to get a plastic syringe, something like a 3ml in size. Pour your beer in the normal way into a glass then fill the syringe from the glass and squirt it back into the glass under pressure. Careful though it can and does often cause the beer to froth up and overflow so two or three less powerful syringe fulls are sometimes better than on very powefully squirted syringe if you see what I mean. Hope that helps [happy]

Archived