Coopers Community

Two Can Brew Real Ale/Draught

PaddyB

Just about to start the following;

Coopers Real Ale kit

Coopers Draught Kit

750g Raw Caster Sugar

175g Molasses

I have really just done this absolutely ad hoc and have no idea how it will turn out. I will keep you posted on the results!!

Has anyone tried anything like this before??[unsure]

Just an update....brew has been started. OG is 1055 to begin with....I thought it would be more but I will wait to see what happens.

Colour wise it is a nice nutty brown. Tasted the wort and it is sweet so maybe the 750g of the caster sugar is too much. I also only filled up to 21 litres.

The heat belt is on and it is sitting at a constant 22C. Now I am just going to have to wait.[unsure]

Paddy, the wort will be sweet anyway as all the sugars haven't started being fermented yet. However, 750g caster sugar I would definitely steer clear of. Personally I'd much rather 300-400g at the very most and the rest as a malt. (unless I'm doing the toucan stout of course).

Try get your temp down to 18-20C. 22C is starting to get a bit high imo.

Welcome to the forum Malcolm!

I would guess that Paddy just used the 2 packets of kit yeast. That would probably be 14g and would be enough for that brew (depending on how healthy they were).

A nice English Ale yeast fermented at a slightly higher temp (20-21 degrees) would go nice with this though.

But as Bill mentioned I would probably cut the sugar back a little.

And it would also go well with some English hops (Fuggles, EKG) nd specialty grains like Heritage Crystal.

Hairy you are right....I just used the packets that came with the kits. I did drop the temp down to 18-20-22 on the thermostat as well based on the advice.

Bottled it last night and the FG was as close to 1000 as I could tell.

I now have to sit and wait for the results. Hoping that it will have settled and matured nicely for Christmas![biggrin]

Hi Paddy,

An FG of 1.000 seems low to me. I reckon it should be closer to 1.010-12.

How did it taste at bottling time? What was the colour like?

The OS real & Draught kits are my two favs as base kits for American style PA's & IPA's. What do you think your brews style fits under? Try to start to thinking about styles you are trying to create. This will help a lot with your recipes and you won't be quite so "in the dark" about how it might turn out.

[cool]

Hi Canadian....

Colour wise it was like coke with OJ in it ie a muddy dark gold/brown. I did not taste it pre-bottling but the FG was as low as that (this surprised me as I was thinking it would be higher)

The style I was after was a 80 shillings from Scotland.

Cheers

Paddy

• 2 months later...

Alright just a quick update.....turned out a nice rusty colour a bit like a Beamish Red (it was nowhere near as dark as I expected given the Molasses). Head was good. Taste wise is extremely drinkable with a slight nutty taste. Strength wise don't expect much sense to come out after 4th longie!!![cool]

Sounds like you hit the mark pretty well. I might have to put this one on the "To Do" list. 80 Shillings was one of my favourite beers when I lived in the UK.

Strength wise don't expect much sense to come out after 4th longie!!![cool]

Made to suit a proper Scotsman!!! [biggrin]

Strength wise don't expect much sense to come out after 4th longie!!![cool]

It will be interesting to know the final ABV. i would think up around 7% will be close. Anyway, it sounds like a nice drop, might give it a go next brew

Archived