Coopers Community

German Mild

Hey Gang,

I put down a brew last night that I've been meaning to do for a while.

Moberly Mild

1.5Kg LDM

566g amber LME

450g Pale chocolate malt

215g Caramunich

23L water

28g Hallertau 7% (30mins)

11.5g US-05

I'm looking for a session beer with a bit of character. What do you guys think?

It doesn't really matter what we think if you have already made it [biggrin]

I haven't made a mild ale before and that looks interesting. Are you aiming for a sweet beer?

An English yeast like WIndsor or S-04 would have been nice with this.

Let us know how it turns out.

Nice looking brew, I used to like a cask mild, they dont do them where I now live. Not sure about a bottled version though, I would be keeping the carbonation on the low end of the scale.

I like the German theme ... though 'Germanising' a Pommy institution might raise a few eyebrows [lol]

Let us know how it turns out

It doesn't really matter what we think if you have already made it [biggrin]

I haven't made a mild ale before and that looks interesting. Are you aiming for a sweet beer?

An English yeast like WIndsor or S-04 would have been nice with this.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hey Hairy,

I know it's too late for suggestions. I'm more into your predictions.

I am looking for a full/malty brew that's lower in AVB%. I love the idea of being able to quaff a couple of these babies back at lunch and still be able to operator a powersaw![cool]... I'm only kidding, eh! I am looking for something that tastes like beer with a little less kick.

The German theme is truly inspired by the ingredients that I had on hand after I put down a Marzen/Oktoberfest in March. I think it has potential.

I agree about the choice of yeast. Again it was a matter of what I had on hand. It was either Cooper's ale yeast or US-05.

I too don't mind mid-strengths but only with body and flavour. I find mid-strength lagers taste watery.

I tried one of these last week:

VANILLA MILD

After a long day down the pit, miners from the north of England wanted something that could wash away the dirt and coal dust without slowing the re-hydration process down with excess alcohol. English Milds are low in alcohol (3.7%) and despite their dark brown appearance they're extremely easy to drink. Dark crystal and chocolate malts give a beautifully rounded palate with distinct chocolate and coffee overtones. What could be better than to add fresh vanilla beans to accentuate the chocolate aromas and flavours and make this a highly engaging beer. It's a one stop shop for beer lovers who want their cake and drink it too.

It was a very nice drop and you wouldn't even realise it was a mid-strength (apart from the fact that you stayed sober). Definietly a session beer.

I am looking for a full/malty brew that's lower in AVB%. I love the idea of being able to quaff a couple of these babies back at lunch and still be able to operator a powersaw![cool]...

Are you sure your not from Australia. I knew a fella that went to work on a building site pissed one day and sawed his own thumb off with a hand saw.

Are you sure your not from Australia. I knew a fella that went to work on a building site pissed one day and sawed his own thumb off with a hand saw.

I not from Downunder but I think there a lot of common traits as we are cousins of the commonwealth with a healthy thirst for the "Amber Nectar"[cool] .

I too don't mind mid-strengths but only with body and flavour. I find mid-strength lagers taste watery.

I tried one of these last week:

VANILLA MILD

After a long day down the pit, miners from the north of England wanted something that could wash away the dirt and coal dust without slowing the re-hydration process down with excess alcohol. English Milds are low in alcohol (3.7%) and despite their dark brown appearance they're extremely easy to drink. Dark crystal and chocolate malts give a beautifully rounded palate with distinct chocolate and coffee overtones. What could be better than to add fresh vanilla beans to accentuate the chocolate aromas and flavours and make this a highly engaging beer. It's a one stop shop for beer lovers who want their cake and drink it too.

It was a very nice drop and you wouldn't even realise it was a mid-strength (apart from the fact that you stayed sober). Definietly a session beer.

Yea Hairy, this is the sort of beer I'm looking for.

You should give one a shot. Tell me how it goes for you.

• 1 month later...

Hey Gang,

I thought I would update this one after the first samplings. It's been just over 2 months since I put it down (June 3). My work schedule is very busy at this time of year so after it finished fermenting I racked to a glass carboy and there it sat in the dark until I could get around to bottling. It finally made it into bottles on July 22. That's a full 7 weeks in the Primary/Secondary vessels. I'd never let a brew sit that long before.

Well after a coupla' weeks in the bottle at 2 Volume of CO2 It has turned out pretty darn good! It really is a quaffable brew.

The colour is quite a bit lighter than I was expecting and Iwas hoping for a little more maltiness. These "problems" would be solved with another 200g or so of crystal I think. The US-05 yeast was a decent choice but I might try something else next time. Probably S-04 would be a good choice.

So here's the stats.

OG 1.037

FG 1.009

IBU 17.4

ABV 3.64%

7.5/10[cool]

Give it a go!

Adam may have thought that all the yeast would have fallen out of suspension because it was in primary/secondary for 7 weeks.

Adam, there is always yeast floating about, how much there is a good question though. I think you would need to filter to remove all the yeast.

Aha ok thanks for that - I've been wondering about that and asked in another thread the other day - someone replied saying that maybe, just maybe, more yeast would be needed when bottling (but only a small amount).

Obviously the idea with lagering is to make the beer as clear as possible - adding yeast again would sort of take it backwards yeah?

So it carbed up fine after a coupla weeks - no additional yeast required?

Yes Adam, good question.

It carbed up just fine. I wondered about the same thing. I have a Marzen/oktoberfest brew that has been lagering @ 2C for 3 months now and I was wondering if I might have to do something special to carbonate it in a month from now.

Any thoughts? Any one?

Archived