Coopers Community

Today's APA Partial - Ideas/Comments/Abuse??

Hey yall. After what turned out to be a joyful experience doing a mini AG last weekend, have decided to do a partial with a Coopers Aussie Pale can. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1 x Pale Ale can

250g Dex

1 x US-05

For the mash:

2Kg Traditional Ale malt

200g Wheat Malt

250g Crystal 60

Mash @ 65c for 1hr

The hops I've got in the freezer are:

10g Nelson

15g Cascade

50g Amarillo [love] [love] [love]

I was thinking maybe:

15g Cascade + 15g Amarillo @ 15min

15g Amarillo @ 5min (Would the Nelson be okay here as well?)

20g Amarillo Dry @ day 4 or 5

I'm stoked to have all these cool ingredients lying around to play with, so very happy to hear thoughts on the recipe, especially the hops.

Peace out yo!

EDIT: It's a 23L batch

I will admit I haven't done any partials. However, I "feel" 2kg JW Traditional Ale maybe more than enough. I know Yob has a great recipe using a Pale with 1kg Traditional Ale.

Having said this though, there is no harm with using 2kg and in fact, it is likely to produce even a better result. However, if you are doing 2kg then why not do 5kg and go AG [kissing]

I'm off now to mill up 6kg for a nice rendition of a CPA clone shortly [w00t]

I've done a fair bit of reading on partial mashes' date=' and put my recipe through several calculators, and it seems to give me the OG that I'm after. The partials listed over at Absolute HB all have around 2.5kg in them, so we'll see what happens[happy]

I've made the partial mash American Pale Ale from the Absolute HB website using the Coopers Pale Ale kit.

I ended up mashing at 65 degrees and it turned out great. It could probably do with some more late additions of Cascade but still very nice.

I don't do the single vessel BIAB, I use a bag in a 19 litre cooler and then transfer to the kettle for the boil.

Okay, so things could've gone a bit better...

I lost 2.5c during the mash (frick knows why, I was more careful than my last one where I only lost 1.5!!!) so between that and losing 1.5 litres to hop debris and break material I ended up with a total SG of 1045![crying]

It will still taste awesome, and it's not enough to make me give up on grain (having too much fun, and the house smells sweet) but a little pissed at how yesterday went. Thanks to everyone for the responses and support as always[biggrin].

I havent done a partial but I don't think its as detrimental as an all grain, if you wern't happy with your numbers you should have just added some DME.

Besides I dont think you went all that low for a pale, I like the hops to shine in this style

Im sure it will come out tasting gorgeous regardless of those numbers mate [cool]

Okay, so things could've gone a bit better...

I lost 2.5c during the mash (frick knows why, I was more careful than my last one where I only lost 1.5!!!) so between that and losing 1.5 litres to hop debris and break material I ended up with a total SG of 1045![crying]

It will still taste awesome, and it's not enough to make me give up on grain (having too much fun, and the house smells sweet) but a little pissed at how yesterday went. Thanks to everyone for the responses and support as always[biggrin].

ambient temps? did you wrap it up during the mash? If it was at the 'range' of temps for the longest part it will be fine, lower end of temps = a more fermentable sugar profile so dont be surprised if it finishes a bit below 1010.

Have at it lads.. but be warned.. once you start with partials it's all over for you.. the results are amazing and you will find that the amount of grains you start to use in every brew just keeps getting bigger until there is no room for the can [lol] .. and the equipment you use will also expand.

Well done, Im sure it will be a cracker.. try to leave to condition for +2 months and you will be blown away.

Yob

Cheers fellas.

ambient temps? did you wrap it up during the mash?

Ambient temp was on the low side, but I wrapped it in a sleeping bag, then a woolen blanket, then a rug on top.

once you start with partials it's all over for you..

Already there mate. The excitement of the process alone is enough to keep me coming back for more. This was only my second attempt at mashing anything besides potatoes, so it's onward and upward from here! [love] [love] [love]

I couldn't help it, I needed to do some more grain stuff.[happy][happy][happy]

Yesterday was my 2nd all grain attempt, so decided to try something like an English Bitter 12L batch.

2.5kg traditional ale malt

200g wheat malt

250g crystal 60

50g chocolate malt

Mashed @ 66c for 60min (I've seen other people do 90min, any problems with doing that?) and only lost 1.5c.

90min boil with:

20g EKG @ 60min

15g EKG @ 20min

15g EKG @ 5min

It smelled really good and came out at about 1.049 (I may have cheated and added a little dextrose) [innocent]

Rehydrated and pitched some S-04. Going nicely today.

I'm hooked [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Good job Phil. However, if you are going for an English style I would have been more enclined to use something like Marris Otter. Nevertheless, I assume Traditional Ale was all you had at the time so all is forgiven [innocent]

I Mashed for 100 minutes on Saturday and lost 2C. Although I am happy with the result. I intended for 90 minutes but murphy's law kicked in and I had to do something to keep SWMBO happy.

I wouldn't bother with a 90 minute hop boil tbh as 60 minutes is ample these days.

You know she's all down hill from here for you now [roll]

5kg Maris Otter

1kg Munich

340g Crystal medium

340g Crystal light

290g Abbey malt

Target and EKG for bittering 30g of each

60g EKG and 90g Fuggles flavour/aroma additions spread out over last 15mins

50g Willamette dry after 7 days

2L starter from Wyeast 1318 London ale 3

Sorry Graham, TBH I have absolutely no idea what is in the Coopers English Bitter can but am guessing it is possibly a house grain of some sort. Nevertheless, that recipe you posted above looks good. What efficiency are you getting and is that recipe intended for 23L?

PS. MO rocks!! a nice forgiving grain but I also like Perle too [innocent]

Im not sure on my efficiency for that one Bill, it was my first AG and I was a little flustered. The batch size was 24L on recipe but I have 23L on the fermenter scale, Im sure I lost 1L+ to all the hops I threw at it.

I worked out the recipe with my HBS and they made it with Beersmith, the MO was 4.something but 5kg is cheaper to buy and on brew day I put the whole 5kg in and tweaked the hop dosage to suit.

The Willamette was an afterthought that happened to be delivered around dry hopping time.

Im also about to ferment this AIPA recipe I have in cube:

5kg BB Ale malt

0.5kg Wheat

0.5kg Munich

0.3kg Med crystal

60min 30g POR 20g Target

15min 50g Cascade

5min 75g Cascade

0 min 50g Cascade

2L starter US05

Will dry hop 50g Cascade

Did a large hop additions late on to allow for the no chill adjustment. This brew went a lot smoother and I got about 73% efficiency though I still managed to stuff up my final volume (damn them cubes!!)

By the way word of warning my bloody hydrometer tube looks like a banana from putting hot wort in it [sad]

Yeah the cubes aren't quite big enough for me. I use the V8 juice jars to store any left over. I do enough for 26L as I like to have a few bottles building up of different beers that I can have or take whenever a keg blows. Usually 3 x V8 jars and a 20L cube full will give me 26L in the FV. Bare in mind that the cubes hold a little more than 20L. [joyful]

My last brew day I aimed to get 26L of 1.051 wort and hit all targets spot on including an adjusted amount of hops to make up for dilution in the FV. It was an Amber Ale so now I am hoping I can squeeze 2-3L water in the FV to bring it back to around 1.045 and fingers X'ed I wont get a huge krausen. She's gonna be pretty close to the top though [pinched]

MO rocks!!

Hope so Bill, I'm doing a batch today with some that I got from the wonderful fellow at BrewMaker in Holden Hill.

Here's how I think it's gonna go:

4kg Maris Otter

300g Wheat

200g Dark Crystal

100g Caramalt

250g Dex (I want it to be a bit on the strong side[innocent])

Hops:

30g Challenger @ 60min

15g Fuggles @ 20min

15g Fuggles @ 5min

20g Fuggles Dry Hop

S-04 Yeast

Made up to 21L

According to BrewMate, if I get 65% efficiency (haven't looked into calculating this yet, so I'm entering it on the low side - if I get more it's a bonus[happy]) I should get an OG of about 1049, which is cool by me.

Any thoughts?

Terribly excited about all this[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Archived