Coopers Community

Bananas in pale ale?

paulh19

Hi all, My first foray into the murky world of the coopers forum.

been brewing coopers a while now and I like a twist with the brewing.

my fave is coopers pale ale, adding 300ml of honey to the fermenter and leaving out 250ml of sugar (I'm told that only 80% of the honey ferments so the rest is flavour) it makes for a super beer but I'm never one to sit still so was wondering if I could add some banana to the mix?

thoughts are, bananas in a muslin bag or a couple of bananas juiced and added to the brew.

I'm not sure any are possible but would love to know if they are and any help on methods and volumes would be great.

Cheers

Paul try this http://brewpublic.com/brewpubs/banana-beers/

Or this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/anyone-use-banana-brew-134467/

Good Mango wine, taste like Champagne and Mango mixed, just buy mango juice from the supermarket the ones on the shelf, not from the fridges, these shelf ones have no preservatives or colouring. Add about 1/4 teaspoon dry ale yeast but tip say 100ml of juice out first, put the top on and shake well to airate the juice ad the yeast, screw the top on then back it off a little. let it brew for about 6 days then screw the top on tight leave until it builds up pressure then into the fridge to stop the fermenting. Ready to drink, might be able to do the same with banana juice if it exists.

Warren

I have to say that mango wine idea piqued my interest!

a little side tracked but here goes

hows about this, I buy 4 1lt cartons of mango juice, pour out into the fermenter mix with a 7g packet of yeast then separate out into 4x 1lt bottles to brew?

Hi all, My first foray into the murky world of the coopers forum.

been brewing coopers a while now and I like a twist with the brewing.

my fave is coopers pale ale, adding 300ml of honey to the fermenter and leaving out 250ml of sugar (I'm told that only 80% of the honey ferments so the rest is flavour) it makes for a super beer but I'm never one to sit still so was wondering if I could add some banana to the mix?

thoughts are, bananas in a muslin bag or a couple of bananas juiced and added to the brew.

I'm not sure any are possible but would love to know if they are and any help on methods and volumes would be great.

Cheers

Tony is correct, Honey is 95% fermentable See HERE

I wouldn't be putting Bananas into a brew that's for sure. However, if I wanted a banana flavor I would use a different strain of yeast like White Labs WLP-300 and ferment it at around 22C-24C.

Or perhaps bulk prime with a bag of lolly bananas [biggrin]

I reckon that is a great idea for someone other than me to try.

Was speaking to a lady the other day who has been brewing since the early 80's, she used to prime her bottle with a Jelly Bean.

Paul, make sure you buy the un-preserved, no artificial flavour type, its on the shelf not in the fridge. Yea you could do that but don't screw the lids on real tight, otherwise you will have exploding bottles. Put some glad wrap over the neck of the bottles and fasten with a Rubber band for say 6-7 days then screw the tops on tight, let them stand until the bottles are hard then stick them in the fridge to stop the fermentation.

Warren

Archived