Coopers Community

Burton ale attempt

LeonardC2

Here's my latest stab at an old recipus reserectus. I did some research on Burton ales,finding little info in the way of constituents. Just color,basic flavor descriptions,& original gravities.

But still,enough for the back of my mind to wrestle with. So here's the list;

1 can Cooper's OS Draught

1 can Cooper's English Bitter

3lb (1.362kg)bag Munton's plain light DME

1oz (28g) raw (whole leaf) US Fuggle hops

1oz (28g) raw US Golding hops

1oz (28g) raw Willamette hops

4)7g cooper's ale yeast packets re-hydrated in 2C boiled water with 2tsp dextrose.

Brewed to 23L

Hops added last 20 minutes at about 6min,45second intervals. Half the DME in a 3 gallon boil,or some 12L. Get past small hot break,then do hop additions. At flame out,add remaining DME,& both Cooper's cans. Stirring to completely mix all.

Chill brew kettle in ice bath in sink till down to 20C. pour into fermenter,top off to 23L,& stir for 5 minutes solid.

My OG was 1.065,& used a blow off rig. At 2 weeks,it went down to 1.020,but at 3rd week,still at 1.020. Roused yeast,even though it's still a little cloudy. Not sure if it's just stalled,or the ale yeast reached it's ABV tolerance limit. It's a nice amber golden brown,off white trace of head. It has the classic dark sweetness on the back Burton ales were said to have. Not much hop flavor yet. I just need to know what the ale yeast's alcohol tolerance limit is.

That way,I can better judge the current situation. I'm going to make this work one way or another...

Based on your current readings the alcohol is around 6-6.5% ABV.

I don't know what the tolerance is but I would have thought it would easily handle a bit more than that.

PB2 should know the answer to that.

What is your expected FG? Have you plugged it into some software? It may be that it won't get down much lower than that.

By the Cooper's formula,it's at 6.53%ABV at the moment,including priming. I don't have any software,but I expected an FG of 1.012 to 1.016. I had a dark tee shirt over it till about an hour ago,& put my fleece lined CPO over that to try & warm it up a bit.

The flavor isn't too bad right now,but I think it'd be best to knock off a few more gravity points just to be on the safe side when priming & bottling. This is my biggest gravity ale to date,so this is Terra Incognita for me.

If your Hydrometer is out by .004 then you reached your target... it may pay just to check it's still ok.

4 x 7g viable yeast packets are enough to ferment 1.065 wort.

No need to add dextrose when rehydrating yeast although that wouldn't be the cause. [rightful]

The last time I checked it,my hydrometer was accurate. But it might pay to check it again,as it's been a few brews ago that I did. I roused the yeast a little while ago,so I'll check it Wednesday to see if it's dropping anymore. I just hope there'll be enough yeast left viable to carbonate it.

Bill' date=' what are you trying to do? Are you trying to oust my girl, by introducing the BOUNCE?[pinched'] [pinched] [crying]

lol nah mate, it'll be hard to top her. She is just the Beez Kneez. Looks just like "the girl next door". i.e. plain and very approachable [love] There's just something about your chick mate that just rocks the boat.

I thought I'd give you a display of an animated gif [ninja]

Ok,2 days later,it finally got warmed up enough to start bubbling again,albeit here & there. This may just finish out,as the airlock center piece is pinned against the lid.

Got some sweet,darkish malt smells a bit ago. It was also known as Australian Ale when shipped to you guys up to about 1890,when Burton ale started dying as a style. Also no BJCP guidelines for it other than priming to; Specialty/Experimental/Historical category. Strong ales,I think it was,said 1.9 Volumes co2 max,Historical 2.3V max. So I'll go with 2.0V to keep the sweetness on the back. Also said to be "pre-pale ale"! Or maybe "proto pale" in another light. Here's some of my research links;

B/A ale

Burton 1790's

Burton salts

Makes for interesting reading,even if details are spotty at best from articles that still survive. Enjoy.

No,I didn't use Burton salts,wasn't sure if I'd mess up the water profiles in the 2 cooper's cans I used. Let alone the Munton's plain light DME.

Sorry,weggl,I was just trying to list US Standard with metric measurements to make it more understandable to all.

Anyway,I just took another FG reading,& it's holding at 1.018,but still a little cloudy. Not to mention drier,darn it. I hope priming with demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) will help a little with the sweetness on the back Burton's were said to have.

demerara has a light brown sugar laced with honey flavor to it. So priming with it will prove interesting. May just bottle it tomorrow,since it's been stable for a week.

Well,just bottled it last night,got 63 bottles that should be prime by Christmas. I primed it to BJCP's Experimental/Specialty/Historical style designation,23B I think.

Primed to 2.2 volumes co2 with 4.1oz demerara sugar dissolved in 2C of boiled water. The courser grind of the demerara took a little more time to dissolve,but looked golden brown & smelled nice.

It's at 6.8%ABV,& will def warm the ol' cockles a bit after being outside on a cold day! I may just try the Burton yeast & salts next time. The directions I read in the Midwest catalog said 1tsp to 5 gallons (19L) of water. So it's not a lot. They are the only place I've found the Burton yeast,liquid in those lil test tube lookin viles. Maybe 2 in a big starter for 24 hours. The video of the White Labs guy on youtube made sure to mention that.

He basically said multiple days aren't need,don't work,or something like that. I aught to find that one again & post the link...

By the way,the #3 Burton ale was re-named "Australian ale" when it was shipped to you folks in colonial times to Victorian at some point. Interesting little factoid.

• 2 months later...

Well,as of Christmas,it'd been in the bottles 6 weeks. It has a nice sort of sweet bite to it. I guess the demerara sugar worked it's magic. The 2 volumes of carbonation worked with the hops real well to give some of that bite. Final ABV is 6.8%,def in strong ale territory. Here's a pic of it; buckeye Burton aleI hope the holidays were good to everyone. We're getting ready to brew up 2 more batches of ale here. Let y'all know how it goes...

Archived