Coopers Community

Ideas for a Canadian Blonde Recipe

RoaldV

Ok ok, so I haven't even bottled the Coopers Pale Ale yet, but my Lager is starting to taste pretty good, and it's going down fast [bandit]

What that means is that I'm going to have 30 PET bottles with nothing to do if I don't find them a job soon.

I would really like to give the Canadian Blonde a go, and am hoping someone will have some recipe ideas.

As this stage I was thinking along the lines of:

- Canadian Blonde 1.7kg

- 600g dextrose

- 500g LDM

- 15g steeped amarillo or goldings.

Would that work? Any suggestions? Do I have the fermentables right for a 4.5-5% beer?

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Roald,

I've done a similar recipe but used 500 gms Be 1 instead of dextrose and dry hopped the Goldings. It was a nice drop, quite fruity but not bitter enough for my tastes.

I have two down at the moment. I boiled 10 gms of Cenntenial for an hour to add some bitterness. I'll use some Cascade as a finnishing hop.

As for the alcohol content it sounds about right but there will be some one around here with more experience and the right table to give you an fairly good estimate.

I failed to note the gravities on mine.

Roald,

If I did test the alcohol level I didn't record it.

It looks to be about the four percent mark though.

I make a lot of midstrength beer. A Coopers kit and 500gm. LDM mixed to 21 litres produces a beer of 3.7% if bottle conditioned.

Honey beers seem to be quite popular amongst homebrewers.

Many years ago an old aquaintance of mine made quite of few of them. You'll certainly get the flavour of honey in your beer and residual sweetness to match. I think honey is only partially fermentable.

Personally I'm brewing more bitter beers with the warmer months approaching. A nice honey beer would certainly go down well in winter.

Have you tried a Beez Neez beer?

Thanks Dave.

The beer you made sounds like a mid strength? Does that sound right?

Also, I have seen recipes using honey. Does honey go ok? Or is fructose not a good option for sugar?

I just used some honey in my Chimay Blue kit, you can use honey in any brews but i was told to stay away from eucalyptus honey , i dont know why thats so, maybe it imparts some not so nice flavours

Roald,

If I did test the alcohol level I didn't record it.

It looks to be about the four percent mark though.

I make a lot of midstrength beer. A Coopers kit and 500gm. LDM mixed to 21 litres produces a beer of 3.7% if bottle conditioned.

Honey beers seem to be quite popular amongst homebrewers.

Many years ago an old aquaintance of mine made quite of few of them. You'll certainly get the flavour of honey in your beer and residual sweetness to match. I think honey is only partially fermentable.

Personally I'm brewing more bitter beers with the warmer months approaching. A nice honey beer would certainly go down well in winter.

Have you tried a Beez Neez beer?

I have tried Beez Neez - it's a delicious drop.

Although, I'm not exactly aiming for a winter beer here - quite the opposite [biggrin] What I'm aiming for is a clean blonde [innocent], super clear, and 'light' (light looking anyway [bandit]).

Tony, in relation to "eucalyptus honey", isn't all Australian honey eucalyptus?

The Canadian Blonde is a summer house favorite of mine. All I use is either BE2 or 600gms of LDM with 400gms of dextrose,that all depends on what is around.

But I always add Cascade hops and ferment with US05 @18c.

Last summer I was adding 300gms of dried wheat malt with the BE2 , helps thicken the mouth feel.

I'd be ditching (or minimising) the BE2 [bandit]

I've been listening to Muddy. After using BE1 on my first 3 batches (and not being happy with the Lager result) I will not be using any BE additives again. The last two have had LME and out of the FV they don't have that quirky taste. I don't know if it's the Maltodextrin that's causing that quirky taste or not but I will once I finsih my mission/study.

I'd be ditching (or minimising) the BE2 [bandit]

I've been listening to Muddy. After using BE1 on my first 3 batches (and not being happy with the Lager result) I will not be using any BE additives again. The last two have had LME and out of the FV they don't have that quirky taste. I don't know if it's the Maltodextrin that's causing that quirky taste or not but I will once I finsih my mission/study.

I did the same as you Von, except with BE2. 5 lagers, a euro lager and a real ale. Wasn't real happy with any of them, except the real ale after 5 months was a nice drop.

Just put down my first brew with LDM and Dextrose, so I can make a comparison. Well, sort of a comparison. . . I've done a draught [joyful] Also threw finishing hops in.

Damn, the hops smell sooo nice. . . [love]

Tony, in relation to "eucalyptus honey", isn't all Australian honey eucalyptus?

Manuka springs to mind, Leatherwood and Lucern, Lavender etc, theres alot of ground florals available. Each honey has its own distinct taste. I just used the Capilano Australian honey, its a blend of ground florals and Eucalyptus and had no surprises.

I will have to research it a bit further sometime [rightful]

[biggrin]

Right, I stand corrected.

I was hoping you'd say Capilano or something, because that's so readily available.

Can I swap dextrose 1:1 with honey?

E.g. 300g dextrose, 200g honey, and 500g LDM?

Honey is 95% fermentable and imparts some flavours and aromas but no residual sweetness where as the Dex is 100% fermentable and doesnt add anything more than alc to the beer. Honey also adds crispness to the beer and is lighter than all malt but still reatains the beers character.

Your 300g dextrose, 200g honey, and 500g LDM would be fine and a great place to kick off experimenting with it.

The brew i am putting down today i am using golden syrup, so nearly all the fermentables are good in beer, the poms are renowned for using them.

Hey Folks,

I've made a fews honey ales using the Canadian Blonde & OS Real kits. In fact I just bottled one today.[cool] This one was a Can. Blonde with 1Kg LDM and 500g Blueberry honey and the kits yeast. I haven't tasted it but it shows promise.[joyful] I think the best honey brew was a Toucan Can. Blonde and 500g honey with a whole heap of late Cascade Hops.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok folks.

So I unwittingly made a middy on this one. Totally forgot about the honey [roll] Actually I was never sure about the honey in the first place, as it didn't exactly fit with my experience with Canadian brews.

Anywho, recipe was:

- Coopers Canadian Blonde (much like my wife... except without the Coopers bit [wink])

- 500g LDM

- 300g dextrose

- 20g Amarillo for 20 mins.

Oh well, given how strong my last batch was, some middies will probably do my stash some good [innocent]

OG 1.030

Let's get that sucker down as far as we can go [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, first taste after 12 days of secondary fermentation.

Verdict - very nice indeed. Probably more like an Australian blonde than a Canadian blonde, but very very nice regardless. Especially given it will only get better from here.

It already tastes better than a Pure Blonde, and has clean finish with distinct hops aromas.

FG was 1.003, so I guess that means it's quite dry, but I don't think it tastes particularly dry.

Final ABV is between 4% and 4.2% depending on the calculator used.

Archived