Coopers Community

Great Recipes

Chiro

Rick good to see you on the forum. Won't say anything about that yeast problem because i've never used that one.

But can give some advice regarding the blokes on the site. After they get to know you, you may get some flack, don't make the mistake of typing LARGER for Lager, if you do look out.

Its just there way of having a bit of fun at your expense. So what to do? Give it back to them, then you will be a vulture as well.[pinched] [pinched] [love] [love]

"PET" Weggl

Rick good to see you on the forum. Won't say anything about that yeast problem because i've never used that one.

But can give some advice regarding the blokes on the site. After they get to know you, you may get some flack, don't make the mistake of typing LARGER for Lager, if you do look out.

Its just there way of having a bit of fun at your expense. So what to do? Give it back to them, then you will be a vulture as well.[pinched] [pinched] [love] [love]

"PET" Weggl

Thanks Weggl. I think I'll fit right in.[biggrin]

I am going to take advantage of this post by posting another called "Post your best recipes here".

I feel this would have the advantage of not having to run all over the place to find the best of what you clever blokes are making. On second thoughts i will make 3 "Post My best Pale", "Post My best Ale", "Post My best Dark", just to avoid any clutter.

Muddy's Pet

Well if anyone is interested in how the wyeast 1388 went after I repitched another pkt here goes.

It's been in the FV for just over 1 month. Hydro reading last night it was down to 1016. Not have my beers go much lower than this normally I tested my hydrometer last night in 20 deg water and found it reads 4 points higher than it really is so OG corrected would have been 1066 and SG corrected at the moment would be 1012. So I think it's getting close but not sure what it should finish at. I'll probably leave it a bit longer before I dry hop the 50 grams of NS into it. I had a taste last night and it tasted really good.

I was thinking the yeast alone cost me $20 for this brew so I was considering making another brew (same recipe) with the yeast. Not sure if that's a good as people say higher gravity beer stresses the yeast too much. Thought about pitching onto the yeast cake, which I have never done or rinsing a large amount of the yeast cake as it's a very slow fermenting yeast. Never rinsed yeast before either but doesn't look to hard.

Thoughts? Would you use this yeast again or not?

Thanks

Update:

Took a hydro reading today and SG was 1006. this yeast seems to be still going. It's got to be getting close to finished. I'll give it a few days and dry hop 50 g of NS. Still has a fair few large bubbles on top of the fermenter.

Referring back to my post,it was 2 cups of re-hydrated ale yeast with 1 tablespoon dextrose,& four 7g ale yeast packets. It's still at 1.020 on week 3. It's still cloudy,so I swirled up some yeast & put my fleece lined CPO over it in hops of getting it going again...

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Took a hydro reading today and SG was 1006. this yeast seems to be still going. It's got to be getting close to finished. I'll give it a few days and dry hop 50 g of NS. Still has a fair few large bubbles on top of the fermenter.

Ok Bottled this brew yesterday.

Coopers Heritage Lager

1.5kg dextrose

1 kg LDM

50g Nelson Sauvin hops (dry hopped)

2 x Wyeast 1388

OG was 1066 and FG was 1003, 7 weeks and 2 days in the fermenter. That gives an Alc content of 8.9%. Can this be right? I always fill 5-6 kit cans through the tap and poor it back on top of the wort to mix it well before taking OG. Had a taste and it's very good, I think it's going to be a winner. Just wondering if the amount of fermentables I used would equate to an OG of 1066? The original recipe stated Acl vol around 7%.

I would have thought it would be a tad over 7% myself.

That sounds like it will be a pretty rough tasting beer - that is a lot of dextrose [pinched] ...sound more like moonshine (I hope you don't go blind [lol] ).

Muddy it tasted bloody good out of the FV. Very similar to Knappstein which I was trying to clone.

There are plenty of recipes out there for Belgian strong ales with 1 - 1.5g of dextrose or candi sugar. I haven't tasted one though.

Let us know how it turns out. I would guess that it will take some time in the bottle to mellow though.

There are plenty of recipes out there for Belgian strong ales with 1 - 1.5g of dextrose or candi sugar. I haven't tasted one though.

Let us know how it turns out. I would guess that it will take some time in the bottle to mellow though.

I'll let you know how it goes Hairy. Like I said above it tastes great now, with a big in your face dose of NS coming through.

I'll let you know how it goes Hairy. Like I said above it tastes great now, with a big in your face dose of NS coming through.

I have just finished drinking a nice trappist style one i made, in a few of weeks i will do another and put a recipe up for it.

Archived