Coopers Community

OS Draught recipes?

DavidP17

Hey all im looking to make up a batch of draught in a month or two ready for summer and i was just wondering if anyone had any good recipes/what hops go well with a draught?

Also, do draughts use an ale yeast?

thanks, dave

Draught use an Ale yeast.

Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Fuggle hops all go well with Draught.

An easy and good recipe to try then tweak is the Irish Ale

or this one isn't too bad either:

1 x Draught Can

1kg LDM

250g-300g Dextrose

150g Light Crystal Malt

20g Casecade @ 30 min

12g Fuggle @ 5 min

Yeast US-05 or kit yeast

Make to 21L

Needs a bit of time in the bottle but is quite nice when ready.

David I have just tried a draught that has been in the bottle six weeks and it is very drinkable.

OS Draught

750gm LDME

250gm Dextrose

250gm Corn Syrup

Kit yeast

No hops

I have just put another of this down in my new FV and will dry hop with 60gm Goldings.

I brewed this one while back it was a cracker and one of my favorite beers i drank the last one only recently and I am going to brew another batch it again soon[biggrin]

OS Draught

1 Kg ldme

15g Galaxy Hop pellets 10mins

10g Galaxy Hop pellets dry hopped after 3 days

kit yeast

A Draught recipe with cascade hops was posted on here recently (by Leonard I think ?)

1.7kg OS Draught

1kg LDM

200g Dextrose

15g Cascade hop pellets - dry hopped

kit yeast

23 litres

Simple & very nice by all accounts.

I have just bottled this one & smelled & tasted good out of the FV. [cool]

A Draught recipe with cascade hops was posted on here recently (by Leonard I think ?)

1.7kg OS Draught

1kg LDM

200g Dextrose

kit yeast

23 litre

Greg, i want to try this brew, will it make much difference if i use 1.5kg of liquid malt extract instead of the dry stuff?

Hi Brendan,

Using the liquid Malt will make very little difference to the final outcome. 1.2Kg LME is equal to 1Kg LDM. Adding the extra 300g will only make it uniquly your's. Maybe you could make it up to 25L and add a couple more grams of hops or just the malt and no Dextose.

My original version of this one used 1Kg BE1. It was also very nice.[love]

The real key to this recipe is that late addition of the Cascade.[rightful]

Chad

1.7kg OS Draught

1kg LDM

200g Dextrose

kit yeast

23 litre

G'day guys - Looking to do this recipe today - couple of questions:

How long into the fermentation process do you guys like to dry hop? After fermenting is done?

How long to leave the dry hops in for this recipe before the taste changes for the worse?

I have cascade hop flowers, so 15g pellets would equal how much weight in flowers?

I dry hopped my first brew in a hop bag but noticed that a lot of the hops were floating above the surface of the brew in the bag - so am thinking of just throwing the hops is without a bag - bad idea?

Thanks for any help! [cool]

Jonathon,

I dry hopped on day 5, after the krausen had died down a bit, (was planning to do it on day 4 but we were out)

The brew was in the FV for 14 days which is my usual time period, information garnered from the experts here, so hops were in the wort for 9 days, in a chux cloth.

A thread on this forum about Motueka Slam IPA suggests you would use a third more (by weight) of flowers compared to pellets. (I think that may have been someone's personal preference so you may just have to experiment to see what you like). You would need 20g of flowers to get the same effect as 15g of pellets using the above idea.

A recent thread had a bit of a discussion about using a bag, chux cloth or loose hops - once again you might have to make up your own mind [crying]

I personally use a chux cloth tied into a loose bundle but I've only dry hopped my last brew, but have got the incentive to experiment more now [cool]

Greg

I dry hopped my first brew in a hop bag but noticed that a lot of the hops were floating above the surface of the brew in the bag - so am thinking of just throwing the hops is without a bag - bad idea

Further to what Greg said above I'd suggest still using the hop bag but maybe add something to weigh it down a bit (Marbles or similar - boil them first to sterilise).

Hey Greg,

I'm glad to hear you tried the recipe. It truly is simple and very nice by all accounts.[cool]

Chad

PS I think Leonards Draught was hopped with Saaz, Perle and Willamette if i'm not mistaken.

You're referring to my Sunset Gold APA. The recipe is here,but page 3,I think. It's called "os draught additions".

The hops in question were 1oz (30g) of US Perle @ 20mins,.5oz (15g) Czech Saaz @ 10mins,the remaining .5oz (15g) @ flame out for 10mins with the lid on,& off the heat.

It got a smooth spice that was great. The piney quality of the Saaz was changed to a nondescript citrus brightness on the back of the malt.

*PS-As some of you know,I also made an IPA out of this same recipe. 4.5oz (135g!) of hops in the boil,next week 1.5oz (45g) dry hop. The boil used 1.5oz (45g)Columbus 1st @ 25mins,1.5oz (45g) Nugget @ 16.5mins,& 1.5oz (45g) Whole leaf Cascade @ 8.3mins.

I took the 1st hydrometer test yesterday,went from OG 1.050,down to 1st FG 1.011. That's 5.7% so far.

The taste was wonderful! very little "bittering",just tartness of the citrus flavors of the hops used.

Tasted of lemon/grapefruit,with bitter orange under that. Besides the herby/spicy/earthy thing in the nose & under the citrus flavors. Malt is a little young,but developing.

You could try the APA recipe as is,or make it more traditional by using 1oz each of Columbus & Cascade. Or Amarillo & Cascade hops. Either of those used the same way as described in the "os draught additions" will get you an clone of APA's.

So far,the IPA is looking very tasty,with not a whole lot of bittering at all.[love]

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find my thread about the IPA I brewed,so,since I mentioned it here,I'll update here. As I said,I used the Sunset Gold APA recipe for the malt profile. I changed the hop schedule as mentioned in my last post to make it an IPA. After reading BJCP guidelines,it's pretty much an English IPA with American hops & amounts. It was in bottles 12 days last Monday,& that afternoon I put 2 in the fridge.

Yesterday afternoon,we tried them. Nice darker amber color,good fine bubbled carbonation,with a 5/8" head. Need to scrub film off glasses to improve that. The aroma of citrus & kind of a dark smooth malt were evident. The flavor had some malt,but a bit young yet. The grapefruit flavor was tart with some bitter orange coming through. The lemon flavor was buried a bit. All three citrus aromas/flavors are from the combination of Columbus,Nugget,& cascade hops used. 4.5oz in the 25 min boil,1.5oz dry hopped,for 6oz total.

And not a lot of bittering at all. Just that citrus tartness that'll mellow over the next couple of weeks. I found that the late hop additions I did are called "hop bursting". Lots of flavor,not much bittering. Should be way better ina couple more weeks. I have a cooper's English bitter ready to bottle tomorrow that I late hopped with 1oz Haulertauer in 2 additions.

I'll be priming that one with demerara sugar (raw cane sugar with light brown sugar flavor laced with honey). Should be good.

Archived