Coopers Community

Will this recipe work?

Snags

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of trying a new recipe as follows;

Cooper original Lager/or Draught

Can Coopers Wheat Malt

250/300g Caramalt

15g Hallertau @15, 5, flameout (might just steep???)

Dry hop Tettnanger

Yeast unsure. . .?

Which kit would best suit this? I'm almost leaning towards the Draught.

Any further ideas or tweaks?

Cheers, Mick.

YEP. Dunno about the TET hops, but the bones are good. I made a draught with a tin of wheat malt along with some Nelson savin hops and it was a ripper. Came out like a simpler version of a Golden ale.

Let us know what you do and how you go.

Yeah, still unsure about hops.

Was tossing up between Tettnanger and Saaz as a dry hop, thought I'd try something different. I'm even thinking of doing an ebay search and seeing if I can get some Marynka and/or Lublin hops.

So a decent Ale yeast would suffice?

Thanks Bill.

Tettnanger is supposed to be similar to Lublin and Saaz. From what I've heard anyway.

Might go with Saaz over Tett yet, and the ebay search showed no results for Lublin or Marynka hops[sad]

Woh, just looked on Craftbrewer at all the yeasts available. . .[pinched] Dang!

Any other recommendations for yeasts? I'd like the hop and malt characters to really shine.

I always buy the American Ale Twin Pack from Craftbrewer for my ales - Good value (It is the same as US-05).

This (or US-05) is what I'd recommend if you are looking to make a Pale Ale [biggrin]

Wow!!.... I have never seen that available, that is virtually 2 for the price of one.!! Lol I can't see the forest through the trees at Craftbrewer.... there are so many goodies available, I really wish I could visit them one day and meet Ross and his brewery. I have been patiently waiting for their next DOTM as there may be some good prices coming up soon.

Thanks for the link Muddy.

Snags, I wouldn't think that is in the style of a Pale Ale (I could be wrong though) but the link to the yeast Muddy provided is a great price and would work well with this recipe.

Settled on this so far.

Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught 1.7k

Coopers Wheat Malt or Amber Malt extract 1.5k

250g Weyermann Rye Caramel Malt

15g Hallertau @15-5-flameout

US-05 yeast

Dry hop Hallertau or Tettnanger

I think I'm going to skip the hop boiling, as I'm sure I'm going to end up ruining it. I don't have a way to control temp etc, I don't trust electric stoves, and have no other equipment (boilers etc) to do so yet. [crying] I really wanted to try the hop boiling. Would a hop tea work Ok in it's place?

Hopefully the end result will be ok. . .

Snags, there is no need to control the temp for hop additions as you can visually see when it is boiling and you only need to boil for the additions. No need to monitor it, well except for the purpose of timing of course. I see no reason why you couldn't do a hop boil if you want as all you need is a pot and a heating source (stove).

Ok, sorry I think I was confusing the hop boil, and doing the mashing. . .[innocent] So does the time frame for the boil (bittering/flavor/aroma) differ between different hops? I suppose I'm not so much after making it more bitter, just want extra flavor and aroma, as long as it balances out. . . if that makes sense[love]

Are whole hops better all round? Or are the plugs/pellets just as good? And what's the easiest to use for a first time?

I use pellets as I don't grow my own (yet [ninja]).

If your only looking for flavour and aroma try only 10 minute or less boils and dry hopping.

Depending on the hop will depend on the flavour aroma etc and it will also determine the bitterness level as well. so asking about the boil time frame is a little irrelivant as one hop will be more bitter then the other.

Yeah that's what I thought.

I'm going to go with the Hallertau. I think I'll do a 10 and 5 min of 15g then dry hop.

How much water for the boil? 4 litres? And do you add any of the malt to the boil or just the hops?

I don't normally have a lot of water, maybe 2 - 4 L and I put my malt in as well. I don't know if this has any benefit other then it dissolves it all.

Also I dry hop on day 5 with just dumping the hops in the beer.

I don't I just put the boiled water in the fermenter (with the hop bags in it) and then top it up to the 23L (or whatever it is) with cooled water that I put in the fridge.

I have a 20L water container that I put water in and put it in the fridge before brewing incase things are too hot.

Hallertau and Tettnanger are considered as Noble hops and will not be as bitter as if you used POR for example.

Even though I have seen some people use these hops for bittering they are mainly used for aroma. They have low amounts of Alpha Acids so therefore, I would think they may take a little longer than using a hop that is commonly used for bittering. I have not used either of these hops for bittering so am only giving what I think is logical. Paul, Muddy, Canadian or Yob maybye able to provide a more experienced answer.

Haha, yeah I have that one too.

But I'm pretty sure from researching that Zywiec used Marynka hops as it's bittering hop, and Lublin for it's aroma/flavor.

Both are extremely hard to find. . .

I'd use the OS Lager can over the OS Draught. I've used both,& so far,the Draught is a bit bitter,even with the way I brewed it. Boil 9.5L (2.5G) of water in your BK. Where I used 3lbs (about 1.4kg)of plain light DME,you'd dump in the unhoped malt can & stir it in.

Then do your hop additions. At flame out,I did the steeping hop addition for 10mins with a lid on my brew kettle. Then add the OS Lager can. I also used an ice water bath in the sink with a floating thermometer to get the wort down to pitch temp. This also said to cut chill haze later. I re-hydrated the cooper's ale yeast,& it did just fine.

What I've got that looks to be ready to bottle now is a straw gold with a wee blush of amber. But with the flavor/aroma hops I used in conjunction with the OS Draught can,it's got some serious hops in there. Can't wait till it's ready to drink,maybe a bit less bitter than it is now. But that's the way the OS Draught is. And why I suggest using the OS Lager,it gives better malt profile for such things. And the Haulertau & Tetnanger are related,but a wee bit different,so go ahead & use both. It's not uncommon to do so.

Thanks mate for the informative answer!

Bitter is not so much what I'm aiming for, so I think I will do the OS Lager.

It's hard to explain what I'm really after, especially if no-one has sampled the beers that I like.

I think after this one I'm going to try an extract brew, with these ingredients I've researched a bit on 'Craftbrewer' as I think they'll work nicely together, I just need to work out a decent formula. . .[biggrin]

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

1.5kg Liquid Munich Malt extract

250g Briess Victory Malt

150g Weyermann Rye Caramel Malt

80g Perle hops (bittering)

25g Saaz (Flavor/aroma)

Dry hop Hallertau

Yeast ? Not sure whether or not to use ale or lager yeast. . .

*(Think I'll put 2 brews down the same, one with Safale US56 Ale Yeast, and one with a Lager yeast, and I'll compare the two)

Maybe something like this;

Crush and steep in 2L of water ( 65\xb0C) for 30 minutes;

250g Briess Victory Malt

150g Weyermann Rye Caramel Malt

Strain the grain water into brew pot.

Sparge the grains with 2L water at 65\xb0C.

Add water to the brew pot for 6L total volume.

Bring the water to a boil, remove the pot from the stove, and add:

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

1.5kg Briess Liquid Munich Malt Extract

80g Perle (bittering hop) @ 45 mins

Add water until total volume in the brew pot is 9 L.

Boil for 45 minutes then add:

15g Saaz (flavor hop) @ 10 mins

Boil for 10 minutes then add:

10g Saaz (aroma hop)

Boil for 5 minutes, remove pot from the stove, and cool.

Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to 20 L. When the wort temperature is under 26\xb0C, pitch suitable yeast.

Dry Hop with 12g Hallertau/Tettnanger once Krausen settles for at least 5 days.

Hi Snags,

I think your extract recipe looks good. I don't drink very much German beer but i think your choice of hops are fine. Hallertau, Tettnang, and Perle all work as bittering hops. Whole hops should be boiled for 60-90 mins for bittering (45-60mins for pellets).

As far as comparing the OS Lager vs. OS Draught kits. I find it difficult to make the OS Lager taste good. The Draught on the other hand in a far better choice to use as a base kit or just a simple Kit/Kilo brew. That's only my humble opinion and i've never tasted Leonards Pale Ale.

Chad

Archived