Coopers Community

Ashes Ale?

Martyn

Yes, I thought you deserve a mention in the newsletter considering you sparked the idea for the recipe, thanks [biggrin]

Bramling Cross is a very interesting hop.

Second innings and Hilfy must be asking, "Did hawk-eye get it right" [pinched]

• 2 weeks later...
1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit

500g Light Dry Malt

3 x 20g Bramling Cross Hop pellets

Bring the Light Dry Malt to the boil in 3 litres of water (use a good size pot, say 8 - 10 litres to prevent boil over as it comes to the boil).

Make the 1st hop addition and boil for 15 mins.

Take off the heat, make 2nd hop addition and steep for 30mins with the lid on.

Strain into the FV and mix with the beer kit.

Top up to 20 litres with cold water, stir well.

Add yeast - sprinkle the dry Windsor (at least 11g) or stir in Coopers commercial ale yeast

Ferment at 18C-20C

Third hop addition (dry hop) 3 days into ferment.

CraftBrewer online shop supplies Bramling Cross but there may be other suppliers.

I think this is great as a mid-strength brew but you could add 250g Dextrose/Sugar if you want it closer to full strength.

Hi Paul,

I did the ashes ale a few weeks ago (a bit late for the Ashes Tests I know!!) And was just reading your post on the method and realised that I put the ale beer kit in with the LDM and brought it all to the boil and so on... Will this have ruined the brew??

Not ruined, just different [biggrin]

Boiling hops in a higher density wort reduces the amount of bitterness extracted and, to a lesser extent, flavour/aroma.

How did it smell and taste out of the fermenting vessel?

Hey Paul,

Yeah it actually tastes really good... I was freakin out yeserday when I read that so I rushed home and poured some into a glass and low and behold... Victory!! At least with the beer, perhaps not so the Ashes!! Cheers mate.[happy]

• 3 weeks later...

Martyn,

I got that 19 l pot muddy was talking about at BIG W on special just after XMas for under $12, may still be on sale. There were others that were around 10 L which I guess, on special would be around $9. Have a look.

Warren

Archived