Coopers Community

Ashes Ale?

Martyn

This is more for Paul, any plans, as the Ashes are fast approaching, to add a homebrew recipe to celebrate the old rivalry to the 'how to brew section', possibly along the lines of the Anzac Ale?

Just an idea for something for us to slurp during the upcoming battles.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Cheers,

Martyn.

We could do a blend of Aussie derived malts and English hops then argue the toss over English or Aussie yeast. [lol]

A lighter style ale or something with a bit of colour?

Will be drinking it in summer so maybe a lighter style beer kit like Australian Pale Ale, add 500g of LDM and make it to just 20 litres. It would not be too alcoholic so you can have a few while watching the matches.[innocent]

For aroma hops - it's been a while since I've used Bramling Cross hops, they are quite special when used generously. [kissing]

Yeast could be the dry Windsor (very English) or Coopers commercial ale culture [sideways]

Sounds good. Aussie malt, English hops and as The Ashes are over here this time, Aussie yeast (or was that a joke on your part?[crying] ).

Something light and refreshing. Possibly a mid strength, so you can have a sesh on it in front of the goggle box and still stand after the last ball![lol] And to prove to the wife when she gets home from work that you're not sozzled.[biggrin]

Wasn't sure if you'd done something like this before for the last Ashes here as I was living in Blighty and hadn't even heard of Cooper's! But we don't talk about those times.[cool]

Cheers,

Martyn.

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit

500g Light Dry Malt

3 x 20g Bramling Cross Hop pellets

Bring the Light Dry Malt to the boil in 3 litres of water (use a good size pot, say 8 - 10 litres to prevent boil over as it comes to the boil).

Make the 1st hop addition and boil for 15 mins.

Take off the heat, make 2nd hop addition and steep for 30mins with the lid on.

Strain into the FV and mix with the beer kit.

Top up to 20 litres with cold water, stir well.

Add yeast - sprinkle the dry Windsor (at least 11g) or stir in Coopers commercial ale yeast

Ferment at 18C-20C

Third hop addition (dry hop) 3 days into ferment.

CraftBrewer online shop supplies Bramling Cross but there may be other suppliers.

I think this is great as a mid-strength brew but you could add 250g Dextrose/Sugar if you want it closer to full strength.

You have much to learn grasshopper! [biggrin]

Cricket, England V Australia.

Ashes

A truly brilliant tradition that gives a bloke licence to lie on the couch and drink beer for nearly a week... or stand in the sun and drink (mid strength) beer at the ground.

Dan

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Muddy, Muddy, Muddy.....[roll]

As I only live 20 mins away from the mighty colosseum, (MCG) it never fails to raise the hair on the back of the neck every time I'm walking in to the cricket on Boxing Day....[lol]

Thanks for the explanation. And to think, my Aussie friend is big on cricket. In fact, when he was here in August he taught my baseball-mad son how to play cricket in our back yard. Wait 'til I throw some "Ashes" wisdom at him! [cool]

it never fails to raise the hair on the back of the neck every time I'm walking in to the cricket on Boxing Day....[lol]

That just your brain preparing for a day of excitement watching the grass grow [biggrin]

Muddy' date=' I'm sure I've heard something like that before... who was it? Oh, that's right, my sister Pinched[/quote']

She must be a smart lady Dan [roll]

Yes, the ashes is a small urn that England and Australia vie for but what is the ashes? The urn, quite small in stature, contains ashes of either a cricket ball or a set of bails (2 pieces of wood placed on top of the 3 stumps).

Some stuff on this subject here.

Right, have got my Bramling Cross hops and Windsor yeast (thought that was a PB2 joke!)on order.

Having never boiled anything in LDM, any ideas anyone what I can expect? Currently asking round the family for the largest pot as am not keen on buying a $20 pot to use once. Might try op shops to see what they have.

What does boiling the hops do, and whats does it do boiling them in LDM?

Hoping to get this one down on Saturday (providing the hops and yeast turn up!), 2 weeks ferment, 2-3 weeks in the bottle and ready for the 1st Test at the Gabba. Jobs a good'un![cool]

Cheers,

Martyn.

But what does it add to a brew a) boiling the hops and b) boiling in LDM?

Are you a politician, avoiding the original query?[biggrin]

I have $20 of October's brewing budget left with no plans for another brew in October, looks like I'll have to get my backside down to BigW. It had better be worth it![bandit]

Cheers,

Martyn.

Morning all.

Going to be putting my Ashes Ales down on Saturday and was hoping someone could help out here.

Have never boiled malt or hops before.

Do you put the LDM in the pan and add the boiling water, then mix by swirling the pan around then add heat under the pan and plop in your hop addition?

Or do you mix up the LDM with cold water and bring to the boil, then add hop selection?

What does boiling the hops do, and especially in the LDM?

I hear it can expand and boil over so fingers crossed and stand back!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Martyn.

do you mix up the LDM with cold water and bring to the boil, then add hop selection?

This is the way I do it [biggrin]

Boiling the hops extracts aroma, flavour and bitterness.

Yes, it should be watched the whole time. The boilover can happen quickly - be ready to take it off the heat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Slurtis, first taste of this bad boi was meant to coincide with the 1st over of the 1st test at The Gabba but on Thursday I'll be travelling back from Wilpena and Friday I'm at work all day.

So Saturday I have my seat reserved for the couch with a fridge full of chilled ones. Will let you know how the 'tasting' session goes!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Paul, you've made an expat pohm very content. You've taken my suggestion, ran with it and put the recipe in the 'how to brew' section. Sniff, sniff, I'm so proud.[love]

And a ripper brew it is too. First tasting yesterday (Friday, day 2 of the 1st Test), not much head retention (though I'm sure this will improve with bottle time), very fresh tasting and crisp. Easy to drink and I notice the lemon and blackcurrant of the hops coming through. My rule for this brew is that it can only be drank on days of play of The Ashes.

So if I have 10 bottles left come day 5 of the 5th Test, I'm going to have a belter of a hangover![bandit]

Now all I need is England to grow a backbone, Hussey=ton, Haddin=ton, and easy chances grassed.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Archived