Coopers Community

Making a Pumpkin Ale

DennisP

Hey folks, I'm looking for some help out there...I'm about on my 10th batch and was curious come Fall how to make a Pumpkin Ale....Any ideas out there? I don't have anything fancy yet and just go straight by the cooper directions so keep it simple please! (I know, I need to get to grains and what not)..thanks!

Dennis P[bandit]

(I know, I need to get to grains and what not)..

Dennis, you only need make beer using the methods that suit your purposes...

Never made a brew with pumpkin. So, what I have to offer is merely speculative [sideways]

Perhaps you can juice the pumpkin flesh then add it to a pan and bring up to a temp' just short of boiling. This will pasteurise it. I would imagine pumkin goes best in a darker beer so try it in the Old Spiced recipe. If you like, add the cinnamon and other herbs, such as cloves, to the pumkin juice as it comes up toward the boil. Dump the whole lot into the FV.

Thanks folks for responding! All I have done to differ so far from the Coopers kits is get muncton's malt...that has been very good too to change up the tastes...I could use a can of pumpkin in an ale I would think..maybe too? the sugars should be low enough I hope and I guess just fill to 23 liters like usual...I'm checking out Dan's recipe now...hmm, one to two pounds..I think a larger can of pumpkin is about 2 pounds and then add just need to add the cloves....cool deal..thank you!![happy]

One thing I started two batches ago too is kegging..I'm hoping that by kegging it doesn't affect the beer at all...I'm guessing not? only one way to find out! Home brewing is clearly the best![roll]

haha! I agree! Kegging is soooo much faster though so I am really hooked on it.. I definitely need to get two going though so as to always have one to go..I have been filling the keg up and then getting about 4 of the larger bottles left over..I let them age about a month and then stick them in the fridge...So, I get to try those bottled beers in about 3 months and they seem to age really well..but yes, the kegging does get consumed fast...damn its good![biggrin]

One benefit I can see from moving to kegging is that my wife wont be able to count the empty bottles in the morning and give me a hard time [pinched] ...Don't get me wrong, I am only drinking 2 or 3 max per night on weekends but I still manage to get on the wrong side of my better half [lol]

Exactly..."How many beers did you drink last night?"....umm, two? ah ha..Kegging prevents all of those small domestic arguments..lol...I just ordered my 2nd keg to I can have two batches going at a time...ah, the fun and possibilities that I'm just learning[biggrin]

• 2 months later...

Hello all! Now that the arrival of Fall (my favorite time of year) is imminent, I'd like to do something with a seasonal flavor. I'm a very big fan of the pumpkin brews that are starting to appear on store shelves and have been thinking about trying to infuse my next batch with with similar ingredients... Is there any particular brew that is best to experiment with? A wheat beer perhaps? Also, are there any simple recipes that anyone can suggest? I appreciate your feedback!

Pumpkin beer sounds interesting how do they taste?

BTW - The gogle machine tells me Fall = Autumn. I've always wondered what season it referred to. I'm learning a lot on this forum at the moment (Did you all know that a hectolitre is 100L of beer?)

Sorry Matt - I hope someone else can offer some more meaningful feedback [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Found this extract Pumpkin Beer. Don't know if they use US or UK gallons?

6 Gallon Extract + Steeping Grains Recipe

Recipe current as of 14 Aug 2011

This recipe has been changed to reflect improvements over the years.

The final volume should be 6 gallons, not 5 as the data above indicates.

The IBUs should be 12-14, not 32.1 as the data above indicates.

6.25 lbs light DME

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

8.0 oz Biscuit Malt

4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 60.0 min)

.75 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60.0 min) 13 IBU

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) or one Whirlfloc tablet

Yeast - English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) or Fermentis S-04

Spread the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F before adding to the brew.

Steep the grains for 20-30 minutes at about 155\xb0F.

During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

There will be several inches of trub almost regardless of how you try to contain the pumpkin. Your yield may be slightly less than 5 gallons.

Archived