Coopers Community

IPA!

AussieJosh

I went down to my LHBS today and picked me self up a can of Coopers IPA. And a bag of IPA grains, malt, dex, hops and some other white stuff. Im meant to boil the mix up and add to the fermenter. then the can of Coopers IPA. I have never Made beer this way before! I hope it turns out good! The guy at the brew shop said it turns out 90% as good as AG with 10% of the effort. Any one made beer this way before? Paul any thoughts?

IPA.jpg

You crack me up Aussie!

I'll have a bag of "some other white stuff", thanks!

Keep in mind that boiling grains can increase the extraction of tannins and up the astringency levels in the final brew. Boiling also drives of the volatile hop aromas. Does it say how long to be boiled?

Paul it says to "lightly boil" for 10 mins in 3 lts of water. At the top there is Fuggles pellets, then the grain, then the dex, then the LDM, then the other white stuff. He told me what it was but i forgot.

I to have heard boiling the grain is bad. but for 10mins? Maybe i should just very lightly simmer or just under simmer to disolve the sugars and malts and to pull a bit of the hoppyness out of the pellets?

Lol Muddy!...Ill let you know! ;)

Aussie, why not follow the instructions exactly and see how the beer turns out. Better to bring it to the boil and risk over extraction of tannins than not boil with the result being a beer showing obvious infection faults.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul. Im pulling my fingers out of my ass today and im gonna make this IPA. I have a packet of yeast in the fridge from my can of Draught i used to make my LCPA, pluss i have the yeast that comes with the IPA. My question is can i chuck both of these babys in the brew at about 22c then drop the temp to around 18c. or would two packs at this temp be to much ale yeast? Maybe a pack and a half? Or just one?

Cheers.

2 x 7g is not too much. I often pitch 1g of yeast per litre.

Just kegged off an IPA with 1kg of LDME made to 21 litres and dry hopped with 40g of Motueka. Fermented at 18C with 3 x 7g sachets of yeast (lager/ale blend). It is delightful out of primary!!

G'day,

re the Authentic IPA in the recipes section...would you use two yeasts (2x7g)? Or could you bump it up to 21 litres and use 3 yeast packets?

Interested in the effects of using extra yeast...?!

Cheers

Steve

The addition of simple sugars in this recipe (500g) helps the yeast to attenuate the brew. So 7g will suffice but if you have extra yeast, throw it in, why not!!

Pitching more yeast may reduce ester production and help to ferment the beer completely. I quite often pitch dry ale yeast at the rate of 1g per litre in my higher gravity brews.

• 3 years later...

I have a question about the Coopers IPA yeast. I made this kit today (first time making a Select Series kit) and was going to throw in an extra package of Coopers yeast, as the kit is already 18 months old; however, when I opened the IPA yeast, I saw that it looked different. It had two different shades of caramel coloured cigars, whereas the regular Coopers yeast are rust coloured balls. I ended up just using the IPA yeast, as I did not wish to change the flavour. PB2, or anyone else who knows, what yeast is this? Is it a proprietary Coopers ale yeast, or repackage yeast from another manufacturer? Does this yeast get used in any other kits? If so, which? Thanks.

Archived