Coopers Community

COOPERS Commercial labeling/dates

GABBA

A question for PB2 or anyone in the know.

I bought a carton of 2013 cooper extra strong vintage ale yesterday.

the purpose was to see what the commercial drop tasted like because ive already bottled a brew of the same per recipe.

the box labelling says

best after 1 june 2013

142/13 18:22 o7 ? is this the bottling date?

I tried 3 stubbies

not bad but tasted a bit young?

since it's only early july would this beer be only about 2 months old?

i'm guessing the 142 nd day of 13 bottled.??

thanks

ken

I remember reading somewhere that the 'best after' date is around 2-4 weeks after bottling.

But I can't remember where I read it or the exact timeframe, so probably best to ignore everything I said.

So if the bottling date was 142nd day of 2013, that would be 22 May which is 11 days before the 'best after' date.

So yeah, the beer would be less than two months old.

I spoke to the bloke from BrewBoys in Adelaide a few months ago, and he was saying that they only allow 3 weeks aging for their bottle conditioned beers. His beer was incredible so I wasn't about to argue.

Why is it that we feel we need to age them so much longer as home brewers? [bandit]

Yep, the julian code represents the date and time of packaging.

The BA date will be 10 days after the date it was packaged. On that day, QA will look at the beer and determine whether it is to be released for sale or given a bit longer to condition.

I would imagine that the current Vintage may have been released late June. [biggrin]

Yep, the julian code represents the date and time of packaging.

The BA date will be 10 days after the date it was packaged. On that day, QA will look at the beer and determine whether it is to be released for sale or given a bit longer to condition.

I would imagine that the current Vintage may have been released late June. [biggrin]

thanks for that Paul

I plan on buying another carton to put in storage somewhere safe in the shed for some extended conditioning away from my hands[biggrin]

Archived