Coopers Community

Tap gonna bite me

ExpatSthAussie

Damn, late last year I posted a thread about the tap in one of my FV's not tightening up properly. Seems that it tightens to a certain point where the tap is facing upward, then that extra half a turn is to far and it pop's out of the thread and becomes loose. I've managed to get by with using thread tape. Just put down a lovely IPA slam with some hop boil additions to 21 litres, all went so well until I went to draw a sample and the tap spun on me.[pinched] It turns very easily in the thread but it's not leaking.. So now I'm S*@t scared to touch it in case I'll loose the lot., Do I Loctite it in around the base and replace the FV after bottling? or leave it and risk a gusher when the bottling wand goes in? Damn..![annoyed] [annoyed] [crying]

You could try putting a heap of silicone around where the tap joins the FV to hold it in place and to ensure it doesn't leak, be very gentle when using it and use it as little as possible ie hold of taking samples until doing your FG testing, then turf the thing after bottling.

I'd avoid loosing it at all costs...

Good luck.

This has happened to me in the past as well. Be very careful when using the tap and limit use. After this brew is out of the FV try a new tap and you might find that it takes up better than the one you have now. You can buy taps from the hardware store for a few bucks each.

I have this problem with all taps in my bottling bucket (old school Coopers FV).

There is one tap out of my collection which doesn't leak, but I don't want a different bottling vessel, as this one fits on the kitchen bench under the cupboards perfectly.

I'm just really careful when I turn the tap around at bottling time. [crying]

Damn' date=' late last year I posted a thread about the tap in one of my FV's not tightening up properly. Seems that it tightens to a certain point where the tap is facing upward, then that extra half a turn is to far and it pop's out of the thread and becomes loose. I've managed to get by with using thread tape. Just put down a lovely IPA slam with some hop boil additions to 21 litres, all went so well until I went to draw a sample and the tap spun on me.[pinched'] It turns very easily in the thread but it's not leaking.. So now I'm S*@t scared to touch it in case I'll loose the lot., Do I Loctite it in around the base and replace the FV after bottling? or leave it and risk a gusher when the bottling wand goes in? Damn..![annoyed] [annoyed] [crying]

all my taps and fv's do the same..they feel loose but never leak...DONT be tempted to go that extra turn.:)

Archived