Coopers Community

Yeast Blend

Tug Boat Ben

TuggboatBen,

It's an ale/lager yeast blend. I'm not sure what particular yeast strains they are, though.

Paul might be able to help ...

Is the lager yeast in the blend a saflager, as with the Pilsner and Bavarian Lager (although these are pure Safager, not a blend with ale)?

• 4 years later...

I was given a can of Cooper's Cerveza the other day and as the kit yeast is a lager/ale blend it got me thinking what the ideal brewing temp would be. I will be using a temp controlled fridge - I'm just wondering whether I need to set it at lower lager temps or higher ale temps.

I've used this yeast successfully before at around 18 degrees for an ale but would like the suggestions or opinions of others as now I have given the subject some thought I am quite curious.

Only one 7g sachet is not a sufficient amount of yeast for starting at low temp. So start at 21 'ish and then drop down to around 15C after 24hrs. Might take about 3 more days to finish fermenting.

Thanks Paul - I was thinking myself in to a state of confusion about that one. I probably have another sachet in the fridge. If I were to throw that in would I still need to wait 24hrs until I drop the temp down?

Matt - What do yo mean? After 10 what? O'clock? Beers? Tacos?

Adios Amigos - Ariba, Ariba Yeehah.... :lol:

If you plan to start a ferment at low temp - like 13C to 15C - it's best to pitch at the rate of 1g per litre and hydrate the yeast first.

So even with another sachet it's still worth running it at the warmer temp for 24hrs.

muddy ,

paul has posted a coupla times over the years i find it very handy!!!

i copy n pate to a note on me desktop!

cheers matt:

So to extend the inital listing to include yeast sachet codes if they were packaged today being the 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-

Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)

Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)

European Lager - L (26807 P)

Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)

English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Brewmaster Selection:-

Wheat - A (26807 W)

IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)

Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)

Pilsener - L (26807 P)

Premium Selection:- Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note: Ac = Coopers ale yeast, A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast

A bloke calls the Homebrew Hotline today and asks about the Canadian Blonde, "What style of beer - is it like a European Lager or something?"

Frank says, "no the Eurpoean Lager is like a European Lager".

I nearly fell off my chair with laughter...

LOL!!!

I gave my dad a can of the Canadian for Christmas! And i could just imagine him calling the hotline asking that!

I hope it was not him!?.....

But to be fair if you have never had a Canadian beer before you need somthing to compare it with......like........does it tatse like chicken?!!

I guess the beer tasting most like chicken would be "Cock Ale"??

Kind of brewing and cooking meshed together - an ideal project for the cook and the brewer (aka Nat and Josh). Perhaps a TV show will emerge out of this idea 8)

Google up "The Complete Housewife" and "cock ale".

• 2 years later...
If you plan to start a ferment at low temp - like 13C to 15C - it's best to pitch at the rate of 1g per litre and hydrate the yeast first.

So even with another sachet it's still worth running it at the warmer temp for 24hrs.

lower pitching temps have their place..

Yeast pitched lower (yes more needed) produce less esters, etc and are slower to work, you can get a nice clean beer with this method..

same brew pitched higher (less yeast) will produce more esters and ferment faster but thats not really what you want (well it could be).. hell you can ferment at 30 if you want to and it'll be over in a day or two [biggrin]

The thing is you really want to be choosing which one for what reason and then it's one or the other.. Yeast don't really like multiple directions in temps, that's why we aim for temperature controlled fidges etc.. to keep it steady.

Also keep in mind that most flavour precursors are made in the very early stages of the ferment and having extra care at this stage is of the most benefit.

I like to pitch low and then steadily raise toward the end of the ferment..

In summery, just because you 'can' pitch a smaller amount, start warm (to get extra growth) doesn't (to me) mean that you should. up to you, but yeah good find

[lol]

Archived