Coopers Community

What name do you commonly get?

PB2

After being called Phil on a previous thread, I thought it may be interesting to hear what people get mistakenly called by others, innocent mistakes not intentionally wrong names or nicknames.

Years ago I played golf with a lefty who, for some reason, called me Phil - didn't like him much so I never bothered to set him straight.

However, I normally get Pete - I guess it's because there was an Australian test cricketer named Peter Burge...

a bloke at work calls me Pete

People who are hard of hearing quite often call me "Bob" after I introduce myself as "Paul Burge", perhaps my diction is not as good as it should be...

Also get "Grant" from time to time - that's annoying and I let the person know immediately [roll]

How are "numbnuts" and "boofhead" names that people mistakenly called you - hang on, Michael is in Wynyard (Brrr) and Muddy has a particularly large cranium[biggrin] [w00t] [sideways] [lol]

But my name's not Ph..... doesn't matter

I hope you guys are happy now [rightful]

Phil..Pete..Bob..Grant..Paul started a perfectly sensible thread & you go & ruin it & now his font has gone and adjusted itself[crying]

Could say it has been hijacked by smatrasres[bandit] ...sorry that was another thread wasn't it[lol]

..well I know a Peter and a Paul Burge and neither of them are you.... Paul Burge from Coopers! I guess if I count you I know 2 Paul Burges...The other one lives in Coober Pedy or did when I knew him. I have been called Ray a couple of times and Ron but generally I don't have too much trouble with my first name, but Magnay...well don't even get me started on the spelling and pronunciation I get from that one!

My names John, but were i work i sort of look like a guy whose name is Dave. So as we work shifts and in various departments some that don't always see me call me dave, then wonder why i look at then funny or don't answer then they realise!

My mates in-laws called me Junction for about 2 years (they ARE from Broken Hill!!!). I have copped Jason all of my life. If someone I have known long enough to know better calls me Jason and their name is, say Paul, I'll say "Sorry, what was that, Phil?" (name is Justin) My dad always calls me Julian - my little bro's name, and vice versa. I always use to feel like he didn't care so much. Now I have 2 young boys, almost 4 and almost 2 yr olds, and I am calling them each others names, Dad has my full apologies, understanding and sympathy's.

My last name is Critcher, which causes allsorts of problems and variations when on the phone to companies, I have to spell it out every time. I have also been called Matt, Michael, Mark, Martian, etc and had Crutcher, Crotcher, Critchley, etc.

I do speak English honest!

Though when we first got to Australia in 2008 we did the Great Ocean Road and stopped in Mt Gambier on the first night and did what all travellers do and went to Dominos for pizza. When asked I gave my name for the order and sat and waited patiently until 'Mountain's' order was called! Figured it must be ours as we were the only ones in the shop. But who in there right mind would give that as a name on an order anyway![crying]

Cheers,

Martian.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I commonly get called Damo by family , mates & most work colleagues as my name is Damon.

However for most of my life 90% of the people I have met struggle with my name & strangely insist on trying to convince me my name is actually Damian.[roll]

It usually goes like this... "Hi I'm Damon ,pleased to meet you"

To which I get "Hi Damian" "I'm such & such.

No actually its D>A>M>O>N ! Oh sorry Damian I'll try & remember that.. after about 40 yrs of correcting people now its ah.. whatever... [lol]

Archived