Coopers Community

COLES DECISION TO DROP COOPERS FROM SHELVES

THIRSTY MATT

Against my own principles I gave in to temptation and went into one of my local Coles outlets to see if I could get a few clearance price cans. I was disappointed for two reasons. The first being that they were out of Coopers cans. The second was that they still seemed to be stocking a good quantity of Coles brand Lager and Draught cans. I'm not sure if this is because no one would want the generic crap. I could be wrong but it would not surprise me though, if the "dropping home brew range" excuse is just a shameless attempt to get rid of the competition and push their own garbage instead. At least in some stores anyway.

I know this has been said already but I urge all my fellow home brewers to boycott Coles and all of their associated stores, which I believe includes, but is not limited to Coles, Bi-Lo, K-mart and Target. Shop at Woolies if or Big W if you are lucky enough to live near one that stocks a reasonable range of product at a competitive price. Better still get your brewing supplies at you local home brew shop where you might have to pay a dollar more but get to support "the little bloke" instead and have the privilege of being able to benefit from their wealth of knowledge as well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...well good for you PeterR8' date=' sounds a bit of an "I'm alright Jack and bugger you!"[/quote']

We will all end up with fresher "Premium" products at the local homebrew shops and run of the mill stuff at Safeway and Big W.

I could be wrong but it would not surprise me though, if the "dropping home brew range" excuse is just a shameless attempt to get rid of the competition and push their own garbage instead. At least in some stores anyway.

In both Ballarat and Altona they are dumping the Coles and Tooheys brands as well. I'm guessing that the entry/failure of their own brand is the root cause of the decision to drop home brew altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

coles in the western suburbs in victoria are selling most coopers homebrew cans for $5.25 each, great deal for me, i stocked up bigtime, the yellow discount label said reduced to clear. I did notice the coles homebrew fully stocked unfortunately. this decision does incoveniece me.

same in sydneys west doc!

ya just gotta find a store that still has them!!

i have like 10 or 11 cans of lager with a 4-2012 use by date in the cupboard!

LOL, ive had to buy a 60 litre fermenter and 2 extra kegs too keep up!

im using it as a base for lawn mower lagers ( with 500g ldm and 10g of nelson sauvin...YUMM YUMM) and american style pale ales.... im boiling amarillo with ldm and adding cascade a lil later.... havent tasted one yet!!....should be YUMMIER!)

cheers matt

try living 75 km's from your local hbs or big w[in different directions]all the local [under 50 km's] will charge you 11-15 for a cooper's original, brewin sugars- nothin under 4 bucks and its rare for s-way, iga and coles to have a enough stock to do a whole brew.........coles was always the worst, no loss here

• 1 month later...

Brian, I moved your post to the "coles" thread.

The story I have: since the coles incident, Kmart needed to go to "direct to store" ordering and "cross-docking" (whatever that is). They have experienced some hiccups with this system but they should be stocking our full range once they sort things out.

Archived