Coopers Community

COLES DECISION TO DROP COOPERS FROM SHELVES

THIRSTY MATT

BELOW IS WHAT I SENT TO COLES, I MEAN EVERYWORD OF IT, ITS THE HONEST TO GOD TRUTH..... I HAVE NO REASON TO SET FOOT IN COLES AGAIN:

hi,

short and sweet!

the only reason i shop at coles is because of your hoomebrew range, in particular the coopers range.

i shop at mt druitt westfeilds nsw 2770, there is a coles and a woolies and both are convinient for me.

once a month ill go to woolies to buy particular dog treats that you guys dont stock, but now you guys arent stocking coopers homebrew range all my shopping will be done at woolies.

yes i was sent a notice of your decision by coopers, yes they did give me this email address, but what i wrote above is hand on heart truth, ill brag to anyone who will listen that its coles or the homebrew store!

keeping in mind you guys own k mart......... big w has a better range than k mart!

thank you

matthew greene

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't heard about this Thirsty. You say Cooper's sent you a notice? Should we all expect one?

This really hits a nerve with me as I have just ordered a $100 Coles gift voucher with the sole intention of using it to but brewing products. Apart from Big W, Coles are my staple for home brewing products. They actually have a semi decent range (when they actually decide to re-stock the shelves.

I think I'll have to make a bit of noise myself. What is the email Matt?

[annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed]

Thanks Matt - I got the email. I'm going ot look into getting the word out to the brewing faithful....maybe a petition is the go? I'll research it today.

PB2 - Do you reckon it is ok to quote parts or even all of the letter either in a petition or on other related forums?

Get loud and get angry people. Even if you don't shop at Coles this could affect you in the long run. With less big name competitive retailers stocking brewing products it could translate to higher prices for us all.

Muddy,

I think the decision is rubbish, but I usually buy all my brew supplies at Big W (or from Coopers) anyway. The lack of competition is a concern though - Big W currently have a comparison of their prices and the Coles prices in their home brew section. They won't need to do that anymore. I'll fire off an email to Coles.

Dan

Dan - I go to Big W most of the time too as the prices are considerably lower than Coles. However as the stock at Big W is a bit hit and miss (quite often the shelves are empty [pinched] ) so I use Coles as a backup.

I order supplies from Coopers when possible - but the Coopers store postage cost is a real killer! I'd like to support my LHBS at North Sydney but they can't be bothered putting any decent info on their website so I tend to order what I can't get from Coopers or the supermarket from Craftbrewer in Queensland.

Muddy, the frustrating thing for me is that there was a homebrew store within walking distance of my house that stocked all the Coopers standard and Thomas Cooper range and other specialty supplies - that closed down a few months ago, just before I started brewing again! The only other store I can find that doesn't require taking a packed lunch to get to is a Brewcraft, fine for hops and grain etc, but they don't touch anything Coopers dagnabbit.

I'll just have to remember to stop at the Coopers store in the airport next time I fly anywhere... that's one incovenient location!

Dan

Dan, would that be the Jovial Monk? I went to the cafe over the road back in February when I started home brewing, saw the shop and planned to return for a look. Went back a few weeks later and it had disappeared.

Anyways will be firing an email off to Coles. Will just make me shop at work, Foodland. Saves petrol and time driving to K-mart.

And means I'm supporting another SA company, which is always nice.

Martyn.

I'll just have to remember to stop at the Coopers store in the airport next time I fly anywhere

The Coopers General Store does not carry any home brewing products in-store, they sell on-line only. They can be conatcted via e-mail: airport@coopers.com.au

The Coopers General Store does not carry any home brewing products in-store, they sell on-line only. They can be conatcted via e-mail: airport@coopers.com.au

Thanks Paul. I read 'Available from the Coopers General Store' literally [sad]

I have already mail ordered from them. Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't convince my other half to drive me to the airport and circle whilst I bought non existent suppplies.

Oops

Dan

Send an email to coles.customer.care@coles.com.au

I was thinking of setting up an online petition but haven't had the time (and am now not sure if we would get more than a few signatures).

Where do I sign?

Attached below is what I sent to coles. [devil] [devil] [devil]

To whom it may concern,

It is with shock and dismay that I learnt this evening of your decision to discontinue your home brewing range. A decision I am certain will persuade many loyal customers to shop with a competitor where they can complete their grocery shop in a single convenient visit.

I however, am not a loyal customer and have now lost my sole reason for setting foot in your store, and heaven help K-mart and Target if Aldi ever start stocking home brewing products.

For years I have mainly shopped at Aldi for groceries.

After a few failures with Coopers & Tooheys, I only buy from my local home brew shop. He recommends the black label premium range, and sells it a lower margin, to compete with the low margins at supermarkets. In the last 4 years I have not had a problem, since buying from there. The Sparkling Ale kit is very close in flavour to the original, and the Heritage Lager is magnificent. The IPA is also fantastic. Wheat beer is very smooth. Also, I don't like dark beers, but the Irish stout was a big surprise. I also made a recipe that he suggested just using the Liquid malt tins that they have from Coopers, & premium brewcellar(?)yeast & Amarillo hops. It was very close to a JS golden ale.

I sent my words of advise to coles today [devil] Thankyou for informing me of thier decicision, at least there is one more voice. I am not surprised at peoples not caring as most don,t care till it is gone and too late. You never miss your beer till it's dry [roll] I like the idea of the master chef idea it is so true

this was sent to some numbskull just now.

Hi there

I have been informed that some executive (I was going to call them a numbskull, bean counter, but I won\u2019t) in your organisation thinks it is wise to remove homebrew products from your shelves. Let me tell you that this will be one of the worst decisions your company can make. I suggest you do some market research to find out how many home brewers there are out there before you follow through with this decision. (HINT: Go to websites such as coopers.com.au or aussiehomebrewer.com to find out just how many home brewers there are out there).

Do you think these tens of thousands of people, men and women from all walks of life, will continue to shop in your stores when the product they are actually looking for is not there (and spend another $250+ while in there getting one $11 can of home brew extract or $2.95 bag of carbonation drops)? Do you think Woolworths, your main competitor and market leader, would not be laughing at the business they will get from this small minded move? I simply cannot imagine another market being completely overlooked and disregarded like this. Could you imagine if you decided to stop selling nappies? Or bread? Or soft drink? Olives? Outrageous!

I call on you to rethink (or just think) this move and for common sense to take over and not only stop the decision, but to expand your home brew section! It is a growing industry and you should embrace it, welcoming people who are new to it, or returning to it after 20 years. There is money to be made from this industry, but if your company elects to implement the outrageous plan to remove home brew products from your shelves, it WILL cost your company money, good will and customers in the long and short term.

I call for this decision to be overturned, immediately. Until confirmation of the move to abandon the removal of home brew products from your shelves is made public, I am boycotting your stores and all affiliates and subsidiaries (I am doing my market research to find out where I can no longer shop).

Ciao

Trusty1

[rightful] [rightful] bloddy hell muddy, it only just hit me!!! What are you going to do now COLES are not selling GLAD WRAP???[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

I do not shop at coles, I shop at woolies and for home brew BIG W or my local HBS, I sent Coles an email simply saying "Your and idiot for not stocking Coopers!"

Now for a joke! "And no! Im not about to pull down my pants!" LOL

Q; What Did Woolies turn in to when it burnt down?

A;= Coles!

hehe! Im here all week folks!

The fact they won't even meet with Cooper's or listen to what they have to say, says it all really. Very arrogant.

Was in a Coles over the weekend and saw they had a ticket by the homebrew saying the Original Series price was 'Down, prices are down' (or whatever their ad campaign is) by 5c! WOW. A whole 5c. The bit of paper, the ink, and persons wages to put the ticket on the shelf must have been more than 5c!

Might get onto the powers that be at work to expand our homebrew section and capitalise on Coles decision.

Martyn.

Shocking. In the ANZAC tradition I am happy to do my bit from this side of the ditch and will not support Coles. Pretty easy considering they dont seem to have stores here under that brand.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Archived