Coopers Community

Paging Dr. Smurto

kieran

Hey,

So what sort of Dr. are you?

cheers,

Dr. Kieran, Ph.D.

(Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology)

G'day Kieran

PhD in synthetic organometallic chemistry. Now a research fellow at CSIRO looking at the environmental impact of nanotechnology. You asked!

FWIW if you put Dr in front of your name, you dont put the letters after our name. Thats being greedy :D

And despite my nerdyness i can still make a decent beer!

Cheers

DrSmurto

• 3 weeks later...
Hey,

So what sort of Dr. are you?

cheers,

Dr. Kieran, Ph.D.

(Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology)

G'day Kieran

PhD in synthetic organometallic chemistry. Now a research fellow at CSIRO looking at the environmental impact of nanotechnology. You asked!

FWIW if you put Dr in front of your name, you dont put the letters after our name. Thats being greedy :D

And despite my nerdyness i can still make a decent beer!

Cheers

DrSmurto

Cool, well I'm not one for calling myself doctor normally. I just reckon its pretentious, like most of the medical knobs out there who get paid far too much for what little 99% of them do. They demand the salary and they demand respect by their title. That's not for me, sure there are some that earn their crust, but a lot of them ride the crest of a very large wave generated by the few that earn it, and deserve it.

Anyway, synthetic organometallic chemistry sounds cool. I helped determine the chemical structure of a natural "organometallic" protein fold recently (if you could call it organometallic, I have no idea on the chemistry). Its a protein domain with a structure that is held together by two zinc ions, through coordination by cysteine interactions. It forms a zinc-finger type domain. I reckon one day soon we'll be able to engineer these things to do all sorts of funky specific protein-protein interactions for medicine. Part of my PhD research showed that this domain interacted with another protein, and another part determined the structure of it (although it didn't show the structure of the interaction with the other protein). I do lots of protein work, as well as bioinformatics, DNA cloning, tissue culture, siRNA, and use stuff like bacteria, yeast, animal cells, etc. to do what I do. Working with yeast before I started brewing really helped me get into the nitty gritty of home brew yeast preparation, storage, etc.

I'm a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Biochemistry at Monash Uni now, looking at proteins involved in epithelial skin adhesion during embryonic development. I wouldn't mind getting into the CSIRO some time, it'd be nice to have the security blanked of funding that you CSIRO buggers get, its a crapload better than relying on the NHMRC for cash.

anyway, nice to meet you and Kevin.

cheers,

K

:shock:

OK, did anyone else out there in Coopersland understand what the two Docs were on about? My simpleton mind was awash with, well, it was confused - damn it, I even tried making sense of it after a couple of Pale Ales, but still nothing. Maybe I should have gone for the Sparkling Ale instead.

:shock:

Using Dr in my alias is due to my nickname being DrSmurto. You cant choose your nicknames and once my mates realised when i finished my PhD i would have Dr in front of my name they started using it and its stuck ever since. I dont tend to use it with my real name all that often (especially on planes - try convincing an air hostess in an emergency that your not that sort of Dr....).

I am getting lots of info off my mate who is just finishing off his genetics PhD on how to reculture and store yeast.

I did my first postdoc at Monash, in the chemistry dept (synthesising platinum anti-cancer drugs). Worst unibar by a long way! Loved living in melbourne tho. Could easily live there again. Lived in Brunswick and commuted to Monash on public transport - 2 trains and a bus!

Your research sounds very interesting, its one of my regrets that i didnt study any biosciences at uni. I read a fair bit on the topic. I almost applied for a job synthesising inorganic enzyme mimics. No longer a synthetic chemist tho. Developing analytical methods to detect and characterise nanoparticles in the environment. 99% of people dont realise what Nanotech is all about but its about to boom as the next biggest industry and we know nothing about the environmental or health impacts. Scary when you consider its already on the shelves (sunscreens, moisturisers, paints, and the list goes on!). But typical that the government regulators are so far behind the science!

Sorry to all for discussing science on a beer forum, its just not that often that us labcoating wearing nerd types find another homebrewer!

Next time i get over to monash i will drop you a line. I collaborate with a few blokes there.

Cheers

DrSmurto

p.s. Kevin - real world? Whats that? What do you do now? Come on - join in on the nerdy chat.... :D

Archived