Coopers Community

Racking - what is it?

Barfly

Racking - Some brewers swear by it, others don't!!

Frank (homebrew hotline) racks and I don't...we both make good beer and sometimes we make ordinary beer.

I have a minimalistic approach to brewing, for me, racking is one more step that increases the risk of spoilage - infection and oxidation. If I were lagering a brew I would rack it first.

If your beer has sulphury, vulcanised rubber, vegemite odours and a harshness in the mouth towards the back of the tongue (yeast bite) then it may have been exposed to "yeast autolysis" and racking may help avoid this.

If the only reason for racking is to get a clearer beer, rather than racking, try leaving your brew in the fermenter for a couple more days before bottling - it is a lot easier than racking and can have the same result.

On another note, many brewers on other websites talk about racking and cold conditioning our Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale and Austalian Pale Ale to achieve a clear appearance - yet they are intended to be served cloudy - go figure!

I'm with Paul. I've only racked very high-gravity beers (8%+) to get them off all the muck and let them mature in the fermenter.

Otherwise, I never bother.

Nothin' wrong with my beers either!

Thanx for that guys! I'm a great believer in the KISS principle ...... Keep It Simple Stoopid! The less steps there are, the less chance there is of me messing it up!!

I've been pretty happy with my beer up to now (TOO happy according to the wife!! :wink: ) so I think I'll be giving racking a pass for the time being as it would appear it is not going to make any significant improvement to my beer.

The batch in question has been in the fermenter for 9 days, so I will take another reading again tomorrow and see whether it is bottling time yet. :lol:

• 5 years later...

Archived